Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-06-2013, 19:25   #16

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Rayon clothing suitable?

Slightly changing the topic...I am accustomed to seeing Tahitians wearing grass skirts ONLY, and some of the women wearing coconut bras. Perfect attire for EVERYTHING!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!

Old 29-06-2013, 19:32   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

btw--most human being walking on streets in tropics are not wearing extreme sports gear, as they have more respect for the people around them than is proferred in usa as a whole, as far as clothing habits are concerned, hence, the problem of overheated people wearing synthetics. we are not talkin g extreme sports gear--we are talking people such as tourists wearing clothing on the streets.

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 19:35   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Darn, I just don't know how Ive survived all these years without kickin the bucket !! All Ive ever worn was cotton! Nice loose cotton shirts, and shorts! (mostly just shorts LOL) but I think the answer to cotton is to wear it LOOSE ! no tight Tee shirts same with shorts, military style loose fitting shorts ! Ive bought lots of shirts and pants and shorts from Mexican working mens stores for years! always been comfortable as could be !! wash most of it in salt water with a fresh water rinse !! Never have a rash or stuff like that ! Ive tried some of the new stuff, and it sure did not work for me ! I sweat more in that man made stuff! Even the "great so called" long johns made from this man made stuff was junk I prefer wool longies anytime it's Alaska Cold !! I guess ya have to be from the Disco age to love this new stuff!! I missed all that playin war LOL Just sayin the old stuff always worked for us !!
Old 29-06-2013, 23:22   #19

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I generally wear polyester golf shirts in the caribbean, which I am very happy with but I have to agree with zeehag... sometimes I just want a nice clean cotton shirt. I like my undies cotton as well. I have tried the synthetics and they just either fit too tight or too loose and they cost a bundle. Cheaper to simply replace $1 cotton underwear when it goes bad then a $15 pair from REI.

I didn't know what the verdict was on Rayon - we don't really have an issue with mold and mildew at the house.

The reason the topic came up is because we are whittling down our clothing to what gets us through the next 6 months of work (and periodically after that)... home goes up for sale in 3 weeks. So, we have HUGE garbage bags going to salvation army. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't unnecessarily discarding some of my favorite clothing.
Old 30-06-2013, 05:19   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I am in the tropics for the summer hurricane season... and you want me to wear synthetic?

Come visit!

You dont want sweat wicked away you want NO SWEAT!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 06:06   #21

Boat: Seaward 22

I prefer god's own fabric....my skin. go naked!
Old 30-06-2013, 07:51   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
problem with synthetics in hot climates is they raise your temperature at your core thus causing heat prostration/ heat stroke--i have been watching here in tropical mexico as gringos drop like flies to overheating and all of em are wearing synthetic fibers . get real, folks--cotton in tropics will save your life.

but of course i know nothing--i am only an emergency room nurse /critical care registered nurse living and travelling in th tropics. what could i say that would be of any value here..rodlmao.

cole--you are not reading the correct materials--the words you say will kill someone travelling in the tropics. you are preaching death to gringos who refuse to wear the material most conducive to saving their lives due to not holding heat inside, the only fabric that i s useful in treating heat stroke--wet cotton and it will dry, cooling your body. this will not happen with the synthetics as they will not hold water nor will they cool you. nor do they allow air to flow thru them as does cotton

maybe you need to live here to figure this out. you are backwards, colemj..backwards, i bet my life and yours on that . i DO have experience of over 30 yrs treating folks in serious distrress and i worked for 12 yrs a sa corner worker in scca racing and i am only LIVING in the TROPICS watching gringos fall like flies to your kind of bad information. we had over 10 victims one afternoon in winter, on a 85 degree f day falling from heat, wearing synthetic fabrics. zihuatenejo. winter, 2012-2013.
your bad info, cole, will KILL someone.
I have been living in the humid tropics for the past 5 years. And I am not dead.

There is never any arguing with your well-found facts, spotless research and impeccable logic so I will let this go.

But I am assured my "info" will not kill anyone.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40   #23

Zeehag is right. Wear cotton. I wear white cotton long sleeve shirts with cotton shorts. My socks are cotton but because of my boat shoes, my feet do sweat a lot. I can't walk without shoes so I have to make sure my feet are as dry as possible all the time. I purchase my cotton clothes one or two sizes larger to account for shrinkage while making sure the size after washing is one size larger than I need so my clothes are loose. The extra room makes for better evaporation and cooler living.
Zeehag I like your saying "life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!!!!!" . You do know the dn of adventure? An adventure is when all goes wrong.
Happy wrong days Zeehag
Kingwoodie
s/v "The Lady Margaret Ann"
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Back in the disco days of John Travolta and Saturday night fever, I had a shirt made of rayon. I had washed it out and thought that if I just laid it across the top of my wood stove for a few minute (like I had always done with cotton) that it would dry nicely.
The minute that I did it melted and shrunk into a taffy like substance. I scraped it off of the stove with the fireplace shovel and as soon as it cooled it formed a hard plastic ball.
Ever since that I have been very careful to buy and wear only natural fabrics.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:57   #25

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Back in the disco days of John Travolta and Saturday night fever, I had a shirt made of rayon. I had washed it out and thought that if I just laid it across the top of my wood stove for a few minute (like I had always done with cotton) that it would dry nicely.
The minute that I did it melted and shrunk into a taffy like substance. I scraped it off of the stove with the fireplace shovel and as soon as it cooled it formed a hard plastic ball.
Ever since that I have been very careful to buy and wear only natural fabrics.
That's too funny!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46   #26

Wool...might want to mind your P's and Q's though.

No experience with using it in the tropics, but wool has served me
extremely well in various outdoor activities from Alaska to Key West(north of the Tropic of Cancer).

summer wool:Wearing Summer Wool

here's a decent primer:Australian Primary Industries - Wool
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32   #27
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Rayon clothing suitable?

I'm also strongly in the natural fibres camp... favourite shirts are loose cheesecloth's... loose weave allows em to breathe... hang dry and wear... no ironing..
Not into shorts so either cheesecloth trousers or needlecords... get wet... dry fast...
Denim is most folks experience of cotton... never wear jeans sailing... materials to thick and close woven to dry fast enuf... Its going ashore clothing.
Also not that crazy about fleece's... as far as I'm concerned anything that'll melt a hole with a bit of hot cigarette ash dropping on it is a health n safety hazard... cotton being a natural fibre conducts much less heat..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24   #28

The problem is lumping "synthetics" as if they are all the same. They are not! As someone else said, synthetics have come a long way in the last few years. There are now synthetics available that will breathe much better than cotton can ever hope to. They are an outstanding choice for hot-weather wear. Of course, there are also other types of synthetics that don't breathe at all, and are a horrible choice for hot-weather wear.

You have to get the right sort of synthetics. If you do, they will easily and completely outperform cotton. And if you haven't recently tried the right sort of synthetics, then claiming that cotton must be better is really rather silly.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:50   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Nothing beats how much water cotton holds and how well it cools as water evaporates from it. The cooling from evaporation is what really cools you in hot weather.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:20   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Nothing beats how much water cotton holds and how well it cools as water evaporates from it. The cooling from evaporation is what really cools you in hot weather.
Yeah, you get a lot of cooling from a soaked cotton shirt when the humidity is 100%, NOT!!!!! Cotton is good at wicking moisture away from the body but really really bad at evaporating it into the atmosphere. Cotton soaks up moisture and stays wet which is way uncomfortable. Cotton also has the pleasant habit of retaining body odors. Works great for single handers. Oh yes, it's really fun to dry out on a boat when it's washed and even more fun when it's washed in salt water.

The modern synthetics are way better than cotton. They wick moisture away from the body and evaporate it into the air quickly, very cool. A synthetic T shirt will dry in minutes when hung on the life lines. For those with crew members or who aren't antisocial, they don't retain odors.

Bought a synthetic long sleeved T shirt from a company called Dry UV, I think, to see if their claims for comfort were real. Wanted long sleeve because the skin on my forearms has taken a beating from the sun and needs protection. The shirt has proved to be very comfortable to wear, in fact, more comfortable than not wearing a shirt at all. Have bought 4 more to wear all the time.

There are synthetics and then there are synthetics. Used to referee soccer back in the days of all black uniforms. My first uniform was a synthetic that didn't breathe well. Not very comfortable to wear as it didn't transport moisture well and wouldn't let air flow through. Moved on to a synthetic that breathes and transports moisture and, even though black, the shirt was like wearing air conditioning.

For those of you sticking with cotton clothing, assume you still have cotton sails on a gaff rig.

Oh, this thread was about Rayon. Rayon doesn't breathe and not sure about it's wicking qualities. Have found it sticks to me when I get hot and sweaty. It is also rather fragile as others have pointed out. If you like loud aloha shirts and I do, there is nothing better as it really soaks up the dyes but that's strictly for appearance not comfort.

Tags
clothing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: