Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2016, 13:35   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
Rockyscience's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: IN./TX.
Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)
Posts: 73
Random act of kindness day

This I've heard on a media source. So if you know someone that is leaving your location, jump in and clean their prop and rudder for a parting well made.
__________________

__________________
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 13:56   #2
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Random act of kindness day

Maybe it's because I'm from Mass and we're kind of stand off'ish but if I see someone touching my boat without my permission or knowledge I'm punching first and asking questions later
__________________

__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 14:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
Re: Random act of kindness day

Kindness is contagious.
When you're willing to share your kindness, others will be inspired by your example and think about doing something as kind themselves.
For instance, this kindness costs you absolutely nothing!
For instance, you can sign up to become an organ donor. Then, when you die (we all do eventually), your organs can be used to save lives. One person’s organs can save up to 8 lives.
If you want to know more, the Mayo Clinic wrote an excellent article answering frequently asked questions about organ donation.
Organ donation: Don't let these myths confuse you - Mayo Clinic

Ask first, question later.

Regarding: "If you want peace, prepare for war".
“ You cannot expect to be able to solve a complex problem using the same manner of thinking that caused the problem.”
Albert Einstein (Essays in Science, 1933)
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 14:58   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Rockyscience's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: IN./TX.
Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)
Posts: 73
Re: Random act of kindness day

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Kindness is contagious.
When you're willing to share your kindness, others will be inspired by your example and think about doing something as kind themselves.
For instance, this kindness costs you absolutely nothing!
For instance, you can sign up to become an organ donor. Then, when you die (we all do eventually), your organs can be used to save lives. One personís organs can save up to 8 lives.
If you want to know more, the Mayo Clinic wrote an excellent article answering frequently asked questions about organ donation.
Organ donation: Don't let these myths confuse you - Mayo Clinic

Ask first, question later.
Very good Sir, am am signed up..
__________________
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 15:05   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Rockyscience's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: IN./TX.
Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)
Posts: 73
Re: Random act of kindness day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Maybe it's because I'm from Mass and we're kind of stand off'ish but if I see someone touching my boat without my permission or knowledge I'm punching first and asking questions later
I understand, that does explain Cruiser's opinions of sailors from Mass. I will "log" that.
__________________
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 15:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
Re: Random act of kindness day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Maybe it's because I'm from Mass and we're kind of stand off'ish but if I see someone touching my boat without my permission or knowledge I'm punching first and asking questions later
Nonetheless, not all acts of kindness are "intrusive".
Would you hold a door open for the elderly/infirm?
That would be a small act of kindness.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 15:56   #7
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Random act of kindness day

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
It's not because you are from Massachusetts, its because you are an idiot. Turn 12 already.
Great way to lead by example. Is there a pot and kettle somewhere around here?
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 15:59   #8
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Random act of kindness day

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Nonetheless, not all acts of kindness are "intrusive".
Would you hold a door open for the elderly/infirm?
That would be a small act of kindness.
Absolutely. In public I am the nicest person in the world. Even the give up my seat for an elderly person type of guy. But if I see someone potentially causing problems with my hard earned possessions I will think the worst until proven otherwise because I have seen more wrong doings then good in todays society where I live.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 16:25   #9
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Random act of kindness day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Absolutely. In public I am the nicest person in the world. Even the give up my seat for an elderly person type of guy. But if I see someone potentially causing problems with my hard earned possessions I will think the worst until proven otherwise because I have seen more wrong doings then good in todays society where I live.

You otta move...but please...not here
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 17:01   #10
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Random act of kindness day

You all act like if you walked out to your car and saw someone peering through your windows that you would assume they were cleaning your windows out of the goodness of their heart instead of thinking that they were casing your car to steal something.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 17:48   #11
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Random act of kindness day

Maybe so but I doubt we would be..."punching first and asking questions later"
Paranoia will destroy ya.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 18:03   #12
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Random act of kindness day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Maybe so but I doubt we would be..."punching first and asking questions later"
Paranoia will destroy ya.
But if they ARE actually out to get me, is it still paranoia?
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 18:09   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern Tier, NY
Boat: Newport 28
Posts: 253
Re: Random act of kindness day

I'm actually close in mind with Mr Mass. Now, it would be completely different if someone approached me on the dock, or already in the water, and said "Hey, I'm cleaning props for anyone interested, free of charge today, would you be interested?". Yes, it takes a little surprise out of it since you'd be told it's happening beforehand, but I'm a lot more receptive to something like that, than to say sitting in the boat, hearing a thud underneath and seeing someone diving underneath and me with zero idea what they're up to. I'd rather know first, instead of having to guardedly question whomever it is that comes to the surface. So I might not PUNCH first, but personally I'd be in a less agitated state if I was just asked ahead of time.
__________________
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
https://horizonsfound.blogspot.com/
CharlzO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 18:13   #14
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Random act of kindness day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
I'm actually close in mind with Mr Mass. Now, it would be completely different if someone approached me on the dock, or already in the water, and said "Hey, I'm cleaning props for anyone interested, free of charge today, would you be interested?". Yes, it takes a little surprise out of it since you'd be told it's happening beforehand, but I'm a lot more receptive to something like that, than to say sitting in the boat, hearing a thud underneath and seeing someone diving underneath and me with zero idea what they're up to. I'd rather know first, instead of having to guardedly question whomever it is that comes to the surface. So I might not PUNCH first, but personally I'd be in a less agitated state if I was just asked ahead of time.
Uh oh becareful with tbose words you might make the "list"
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 18:17   #15
Registered User
 
siamese's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 147
Re: Random act of kindness day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyscience View Post
This I've heard on a media source. So if you know someone that is leaving your location, jump in and clean their prop and rudder for a parting well made.
My random act of kindness for you, is to advise you to never perform work on, or otherwise handle someone else's boat without their permission.
__________________

__________________
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yanmar 3GM30F Random Ticking Noise - Need Advice four winds Engines and Propulsion Systems 26 17-02-2011 22:11
The Kindness of Strangers KateJoy The Sailor's Confessional 25 07-10-2010 12:31
Random Noise from Water Pump nknowland Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 11 29-03-2010 19:29
March 11th - Belt and Sospenders, plus the kindness of strangers skipgundlach General Sailing Forum 1 19-06-2008 20:51



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.