Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-02-2016, 09:59   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1985 Freedom Mach1 32'
Re: Random act of kindness day

I'm with Ontherocks...and from Mass and NY. If it was as suggested by Charlz0, a whole different story.

Old 18-02-2016, 10:06   #32

I know, lets make every day a Random Act of Kindness day.

Old 18-02-2016, 10:23   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Having had a prop stolen whilst at anchor in Mayotte I can fully understand some folks reticence. Does the benefit extend to 'let me hold your wallet for you' whilst you are busy? I think the sentiment is laudable and would be practical if you advised your intentions BEFORE commencing scrubbing. We clean our tummies a few days before departing so we can relax the day before our intended departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Absolutely. In public I am the nicest person in the world. Even the give up my seat for an elderly person type of guy. But if I see someone potentially causing problems with my hard earned possessions I will think the worst until proven otherwise because I have seen more wrong doings then good in todays society where I live.
Old 18-02-2016, 10:42   #34

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

This all is really funny. Some on here have understood my point about not touching someone's stuff with out permission, while others are hung up on this righteous holier than thou, hippy peace and love, how dare you take an act of kindness the wrong way blah blah blah.

First you have to realize that NOT everyone wants your help. I know that may be hard to believe in your free love utopia but some people don't want it, no matter what the intention is.

Others would love your help, but fist would appreciate to be informed of what you are doing so they are aware of the situation. Shocking I know!!! I mean why would some one be so obtuse as to want to know why you are touching their prized possesion without their permission or knowledge .

For those of you that didn't pick up on it in my first post I was being inflammatory to drive home the point that randomly stepping into someones personal space (i.e. their boat) could be misconstrued as a negative action. It is absolutely no different then coming home to find someone in your back yard. I don't believe for a second that anyone's very first thought would be "oh what a nice stranger, maybe they are randomly being nice and mowing my lawn for me while I was away. that is so sweet I should approach them in a careless manner and hug them"
No you assume that they "may" have a negative intention like robbing you and hope that maybe the reality is their dog ran away and they are searching for them.

Lastly and I know this might be shocking to some, but I do believe in being nice and helping people. Last year we were motoring in and saw in the distance and not on our route in that there was a small fishing boat rowing in because their engine was dead. We asked if they wanted a tow and as we passed close enough to grab their line I threw 2 beers in their boat figuring they've had a rough day and could use them. We towed them in and they insisted that we join them for dinner so they could buy us a steak. We politely declined as we felt odd for taking a "re-payment" wished them well and went on our way.
Old 18-02-2016, 11:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Regarding: "If you want peace, prepare for war".
You cannot expect to be able to solve a complex problem using the same manner of thinking that caused the problem.
Albert Einstein (Essays in Science, 1933)
Ahhh, but Al's inference is that everyone is interested in solving the complex problem, and that's not human nature.

In fact, the complex problem exists because someone originated the problem and is happy with it.

The quote recognizes that, and is a preventive measure that anticipates the complex problem allowing it to be avoided, rather than solved.
Old 18-02-2016, 12:35   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)

Quote:
This all is really funny. Some on here have understood my point about not touching someone's stuff with out permission, while others are hung up on this righteous holier than thou, hippy peace and love, how dare you take an act of kindness the wrong way blah blah blah.

First you have to realize that NOT everyone wants your help. I know that may be hard to believe in your free love utopia but some people don't want it, no matter what the intention is.

Others would love your help, but fist would appreciate to be informed of what you are doing so they are aware of the situation. Shocking I know!!! I mean why would some one be so obtuse as to want to know why you are touching their prized possesion without their permission or knowledge .

For those of you that didn't pick up on it in my first post I was being inflammatory to drive home the point that randomly stepping into someones personal space (i.e. their boat) could be misconstrued as a negative action. It is absolutely no different then coming home to find someone in your back yard. I don't believe for a second that anyone's very first thought would be "oh what a nice stranger, maybe they are randomly being nice and mowing my lawn for me while I was away. that is so sweet I should approach them in a careless manner and hug them"
No you assume that they "may" have a negative intention like robbing you and hope that maybe the reality is their dog ran away and they are searching for them.

Lastly and I know this might be shocking to some, but I do believe in being nice and helping people. Last year we were motoring in and saw in the distance and not on our route in that there was a small fishing boat rowing in because their engine was dead. We asked if they wanted a tow and as we passed close enough to grab their line I threw 2 beers in their boat figuring they've had a rough day and could use them. We towed them in and they insisted that we join them for dinner so they could buy us a steak. We politely declined as we felt odd for taking a "re-payment" wished them well and went on our way.
I understand your point and agree with you. Let's be friends and I promise not to help you..
INTERNATIONAL LAW
All ship and aircraft commanders have an obligation to assist those in danger of being lost at sea. This long recognized duty of mariners permits assistance entry into the territorial sea by vessels, and, under certain circumstances, aircraft, without permission of the coastal state to engage in bona fide efforts to render emergency assistance to those in danger or distress at sea. This right is independent of the right of innocent passage, transit passage, and archipelagic sea lanes passage and is recognized in Article 18.2 of the 1982 U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea. These efforts to render assistance must be undertaken in good faith and not as a subterfuge. This right applies only when the danger or distress is reasonably well known. It does not extend to entering the territorial sea to conduct a search.
While recognizing that the right of assistance entry is not dependent upon seeking or receiving the permission of the coastal state, it is the policy of the United States to give notice to a coastal state before entering its territorial sea to assist those in danger, both as a matter of international comity and to alert the rescue forces of that state.
Several international conventions address SAR and the obligations of a state and of the master of a vessel. States which are parties to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974 (SOLAS), the 1982 LOS Convention, or the Convention on the High Seas, 1958, are required to set up SAR organizations
Old 18-02-2016, 13:07   #37

I suppose it shouldn't surprise me, but I still shake my head in disbelief at how people love to bicker even in such a seemingly straightforward thread.

The concept of random acts of kindness is good one, and if everyone observed it, the world might be a lot better place. Of course you have to use some common sense and not disturb someone else's privacy or go around doing suspicious looking things in the process.

I have caught 2 people peering into my car windows and neither were up to no good.

Yes, I've had women lecture me when I opened the door for them, I simply tell them I'd open a door for anyone, it's not a gender issue.

I never give cash to anyone who looks like an alky or druggie, but I have bought a few meals for people who needed one and were willing to take a meal instead of cash. I did fill up a guy's car with gas on Christmas eve who was 170 mi from home and just wanted to be home for Christmas with his children, even though there were few presents under the tree.

There are those who are wary of others and those who would take advantage of anyone's kindness, but I think it's a good idea to be kind to as many people as possible every day, it doesn't really cost anything to let a person with only one item to get in front of you at the checkout line.

Here in CA, it's normal to see drivers speed up to block the car in the next lane from merging over when they use their turn signals, so most CA drivers stop using their turn signals and just take the lane next to them to avoid the inevitable race to the spot in the lane.

I just shake my head in disgust when I see it, it happens so much. Who would it hurt to just let them merge in? Yet it happens more often than not.
Old 18-02-2016, 13:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyscience View Post
INTERNATIONAL LAW
All ship and aircraft commanders have an obligation to assist those in danger of being lost at sea. This long recognized duty of mariners permits assistance entry into the territorial sea by vessels, and, under certain circumstances, aircraft, without permission of the coastal state to engage in bona fide efforts to render emergency assistance to those in danger or distress at sea. This right is independent of the right of innocent passage, transit passage, and archipelagic sea lanes passage and is recognized in Article 18.2 of the 1982 U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea. These efforts to render assistance must be undertaken in good faith and not as a subterfuge. This right applies only when the danger or distress is reasonably well known. It does not extend to entering the territorial sea to conduct a search.
While recognizing that the right of assistance entry is not dependent upon seeking or receiving the permission of the coastal state, it is the policy of the United States to give notice to a coastal state before entering its territorial sea to assist those in danger, both as a matter of international comity and to alert the rescue forces of that state.
Several international conventions address SAR and the obligations of a state and of the master of a vessel. States which are parties to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974 (SOLAS), the 1982 LOS Convention, or the Convention on the High Seas, 1958, are required to set up SAR organizations
and your point is what?

Not sure what where this is coming from. We're talking about random acts of unsolicited kindness, not refusing to help someone in distress. Can you please explain? Are you trying to imply something?
Old 18-02-2016, 13:25   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@W3GAC,

Great story.

When someone is feeling grateful for the kindness of strangers, s/he often wants to return it to whoever gave it, but for various reasons the one who gave it doesn't want to be paid back directly. When we've had the opportunity to help, we just tell them to help somebody else out sometime, and that seems to take care of that "pay back" adequately. I know people call it "paying it forward" now, but sometimes the help is so "big", there's no way easily to say thank you.

Some friends of ours, at some risk to themselves went out during a local storm (winds to 80 kn) and saved a very valuable, recently launched engineless boat that had no anchor aboard. They were trying to use the tender (a big inflatable RIB) to move the vessel to shelter, and not making it. They did not try to sail it to shelter. Our friends were eventually able to leave where they were anchored and safe, and maneuver so as to be able tosend a line down to them, rescued the man in the water, and towed them to safety.

How would you say thank you for rescuing your pride and joy, saving your life, and soothing your terrified wife? I wasn't there, I did not hear what was said. But I hope the guy who was rescued commits many random acts of kindness. In the mean time, the guys who did the rescuing keep on doing nice things for people.

Ann
Old 18-02-2016, 13:37   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There's always much discussion that, "things aren't the way they used to be" in many facets of society, but I'm not accepting this in relation to cruising and kindness or suspicion of others. We were cruising in 1972 and continuously to this date. This conversion could match another in any of the past five decades.

I recently, after a thunderstorm, noticed a neighbor's bimini cover had been unzipped by the wind. The loose flap was thrashing about and I thought it could be damaged. Before stepping on his boat I visited the dockmaster and explained that I wanted to care for his bimini, but that I was hesitant to board without the owners knowledge. He agreed that it was the proper choice and I boarded the boat to secure the canvass.

I'll continue to help others and appreciate help, but I'm not going to be one that gives or receives in surprise. Some say, "it takes a village...". Well, not necessarily, but I want the village to know!
Old 18-02-2016, 14:04   #41

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Well, im responding to the very clesr 'intent' of the OP's post. Ive just spent a fortune to me, blasting and painting my boat and Coppercoating. Theres a young couple with a smaller steel boat thats just slipped next to mine. Everyone is commenting on how they are in the same awful state i was in when i first slipped but perhaps without the funds i have available. . . . So, ive been leaving them a few left overs to help out on their boat including enough anti fowl that they wont need to purchase any.

And in this part of the workd, if i find someone in my back yard mowing lawns, pruning, my first thought is to be friendly and to thank them. Not to shoot them or punch them. But then, im not in Mass.
Old 18-02-2016, 14:17   #42

They do call us Massholes for a reason
Old 18-02-2016, 14:19   #43
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Isn't it pretty sad that people have become so paranoid that people can't even do something nice for them?
Old 18-02-2016, 14:51   #44

Quote:
They do call us Massholes for a reason
I have a group of about 5 or 6 friends from Mass. and that's what they call others from Mass. LOL

I've only heard people from Mass. use the term.
Old 18-02-2016, 14:58   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Isn't it pretty sad that people have become so paranoid that people can't even do something nice for them?
Well, sometimes things aren't what they seem, but most of the time they usually are. If you're doing something that looks vaguely suspicious, don't be surprised if people do respond negatively.

I think it's a great idea to be kind to one another, it shouldn't be just one day a year or just random. Just keep in mind the rules and etiquette in terms of privacy and private property and most people would probably really receptive. Of course there will always be exceptions to that as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: