Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2015, 15:01   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Rain proof window coverings

Has anyone got any good ideas for some sort of covers that allow you to open your windows while it's raining

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 15:03   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Rain proof window coverings

Define "windows". There are port shades that attach above hull portholes that prevent almost all rain from entering. Overhead hatches are more difficult, but search the web for some complicated cloth dorade-type things that allow this.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 20:09   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If the windows in question are hatches, we made a dorade concept hatch dodger for our forehatch. It can be left open in up to 15 k. without rain coming in, or lowering the hatch. (Our reefed position for this hatch is one long champagne cork.) If we need to totally close it, it will be very windy, and cold.

Ann
Old 18-10-2015, 20:27   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Seaworthy Goods ~ Smart Stuff. Smart Boats. ~ Store for PortVisors & more
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 20:40   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

+1 we fitted 11 of these over our opening ports and they are really good
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 20:54   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Our port visors still allow water to bounce in from the deck. I'm not sure I would buy them again.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 20:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Our port visors still allow water to bounce in from the deck. I'm not sure I would buy them again.
not much you can do about that except close them, Florida sure knows how to throw the rain down.
Old 19-10-2015, 00:38   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

This was ages ago, & I'm going from memory, but... I've seen some, which were most likely DIY affairs. They were akin to clam shell vent covers. But were made out of canvas, with short sections of tent poles sleeved into thier lower ends to keep them propped open. And the poles ends were fitted into small "socket" pieces on the cabin house side. On either side of each port, I mean. And it was the tension on/from the poles, which kept the port covers open.
Ah, their upper sides were simply slotted into boltrope tracks, above the ports.

I'd imagine that one could run bolt rope track with which to attach the canvas to, almost 180 degrees around the port if you liked. And how long of a pole which you use would be the governing factor in terms of how far out from the cabin side they protruded.
The tricky part would be getting the cut of the cloth correct, so that they stick out far enough, & yet still have clean shapes to them. Which would likely involve a bit of trial & error.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:11   #9

Boat: Whidby 42

I ordered some from seaworthy last week but they are currently out and it will be at least a month before they make some.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
sailorsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 11:42   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
Has anyone got any good ideas for some sort of covers that allow you to open your windows while it's raining

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I'm guessing by windows you may be referring to opening ports. M
If so, I second SeaworthyGoods as a great resource and excellent products. (Retired cruisers with a plastics background...)

If it is of interest, here is our brief blog post describing our installation.

http://svdenalirosenc43.blogspot.com...imate.html?m=0

Cheers!

-Bill
SV Denali Rose
Old 19-10-2015, 12:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
I'm guessing by windows you may be referring to opening ports. M
If so, I second SeaworthyGoods as a great resource and excellent products. (Retired cruisers with a plastics background...)

If it is of interest, here is our brief blog post describing our installation.

Denali Rose: Keeping the rain out

Cheers!

-Bill
SV Denali Rose
One caveat, check carefully before final stick down! I dumbly neglected to notice that the hinged opening lid of our aft side deck lazarette lockers would not completely clear the installed 'eyebrows'. After discussion with Seaworthy, who are truly helpful people, I was able to use a cordless Dremel on the installed eyebrows ( ONE each side of the after cabin of our centre cockpit boat)Dremel tool fitted with a side cutting bit, like a drill bit, but used for cutting tiles perhaps, and nibbled just enough from the corner to allow the locker lid to pass yet not remove the moulded in drip edge of the eyebrow. The variable speed Dremel was set to run at half speed so as not to melt the Lexan.

Our opening ports were made by Lewmar and had an inherent design defect that allowed water to enter the outer (hollow) frame via a horizontal join in the extrusion then run inside to exit at an unused screwhole into the interior, by wayof thelocking lever. This design error ran for nearly 18 years but was removed on the later designs. We had tried to remedy the leak by the Lewmar recommended solution of removing the existing frame joint sealant with a 'pick' and replacing it with fresh goo but that was only 90% successful as in tropical downpours some stlll got through. however since fitting the Seaworthy Eyebrows the problem is completely resolved, plus we can open the ports for ventilation in rain ( their true purpose) as a bonus.
Old 19-10-2015, 12:38   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Robin3,

Your advice is very good:
"One caveat, check carefully before final stick down!"

On our blog post we show how we taped into final position to test everything. Once confirmed, we just lifted the covers using the tape hinges, removed the backing tape, and lowered them into final, glued position.

In case that is helpful to others.

Cheers!

-Bill
SV Denali Rose
Old 19-10-2015, 18:25   #13

Boat: C&C

We've have 6 port visors from Seaworhty for 4 years now and love them. Great value and their really sturdy!!! The people there are very experienced and super helpful!!!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 11:46   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

If you have round port holes, there is a cheep fix. Plastic waste paper bins are usually tapered. Find one that can be pushed into the port, but gets snug before it goes all the way through. Once you have the right size, take it back and cut a square out of the side of the bin. Now shove it back into the port with the square opening facing down. Air can circulate, but rain stays out. Rectangular ports are more difficult, but rectangular bins do exist. When not in use the bins stack for storage. Credit the idea to Don Street.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind