Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 12:46   #1

Questions about using a Memory Foam Mattress on your Boat Please...

I've been sleeping on a cheap 8" thick Spa Sensations memory foam mattress from Walmart and its the most comfortable bed I have ever had so I have questions about buying one and modifying it for use on a boat please...

1) Do you use an inexpensive memory foam mattress on your boat? How do you like it?

2) They generally come in 6", 8" and 12" thicknesses but for more head room I'm thinking of buying a 4" thick memory foam mattress meant for a sofa bed. Anyone sleeping on one that thin? Do you like it?

3) Did you buy a stock size (king, queen, full, twin) and then have it cut to fit the berth? Did you cut the foam yourself? How do you get sheets to fit it?

4) How do you prevent mold from forming under it?

Thanks

Steve
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 13:06   #2

Boat: Lagoon 410, 41 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
I've been sleeping on a cheap 8" thick Spa Sensations memory foam mattress from Walmart and its the most comfortable bed I have ever had so I have questions about buying one and modifying it for use on a boat please... 1) Do you use an inexpensive memory foam mattress on your boat? How do you like it? 2) They generally come in 6", 8" and 12" thicknesses but for more head room I'm thinking of buying a 4" thick memory foam mattress meant for a sofa bed. Anyone sleeping on one that thin? Do you like it? 3) Did you buy a stock size (king, queen, full, twin) and then have it cut to fit the berth? Did you cut the foam yourself? How do you get sheets to fit it? 4) How do you prevent mold from forming under it? Thanks Steve
We use a 2in walmart model with a 1in eagshell model and WOW!
raphaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 13:18   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Questions about using a memory foam mattress on your boat please...

Steve, onceuponatime all mattresses were either 4" thick or 6" thick and somehow, we lived through it. Personally having slept on both, I can tell you that 4" is quite enough if the foam is dense and there is support under it. And six inches gives you room for a soft top layer to let you squish in, with four inches of denser foam on the bottom giving you more support once you've squished in. I get real annoyed with anything thicker (which is most mattresses these days) because then you can't find sheets to fit.

By all means, four to six inches should be enough if they used decent foam.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 13:24   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

A question I keep asking on mattress threads - Anybody know a reasonably economical source for latex mattresses or toppers?
Old 27-12-2013, 13:47   #5

Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
A question I keep asking on mattress threads - Anybody know a reasonably economical source for latex mattresses or toppers?
Old 27-12-2013, 14:25   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I have been using a 2" memory topper on my standard mattress on the boat for 5 years and it made a BIG difference. I'm think of getting a thicker customer one though so that it fits better.
Old 27-12-2013, 14:32   #7

Boat: 34 Irwin
Mag, you can cut it well with an electric craving knife.
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 15:27   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

We put a Tempurpedic mattress on our boat and LOVE it! We have the thickest one sold at home and the thinnest one on the boat with a 3" topper. We did have a small mold problem under the mattress but discovered it right away. I lined the bunk with 3 layers of thick plastic to act as a vapor barrier and have not had a problem since.

Fortunately our bunk is exactly queen size so no cutting was required on the mattress. But the topper needed a bit of a trim. I used a chef's knife from the galley and it worked really well. The stuff is surprisingly easy to cut.

I bought my topper at Costco - seemed to be the best deal at the time. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the mattress there as well and save some money.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 16:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaella View Post
sorry forgot to say that we use this but on top of the orriginal matresses which are 4in
Old 27-12-2013, 16:02   #10

Quote:
sorry forgot to say that it is over the orriginal 4in matresses
Old 27-12-2013, 16:40   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not "reasonable" compared to a real foam outlet, but bedinabox.com is one of the cheapest reputable suppliers on the web. (Brand name US-made foam from BASF available, instead of just mystery foam.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 18:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder, but we bought our 6" Latex mattress here: foam mattress slow recovery, memory foam, latex matresses, toppers, camping pads, eggcrate convoluted foam,. Has been about 3 years now and I still love it.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 19:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha ann View Post
Mag, you can cut it well with an electric craving knife.
No kidding?! I'll have to scrounge up an electric carving knife somewhere and save the $30 I was going to pay this place to cut it. Thanks!

Quote:
sorry forgot to say that it is over the orriginal 4in matresses
So that was a 4" regular mattress or memory foam mattress? And then you put a 2" memory foam topper on it plus the egg crate foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Not "reasonable" compared to a real foam outlet, but bedinabox.com is one of the cheapest reputable suppliers on the web. (Brand name US-made foam from BASF available, instead of just mystery foam.)
Thanks I will check out bedinabox.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder, but we bought our 6" Latex mattress here: foam mattress slow recovery, memory foam, latex matresses, toppers, camping pads, eggcrate convoluted foam,. Has been about 3 years now and I still love it.
And I'll check out thefoamfactory.com too because maybe they can tell me the difference between sleeping on an 8" memory foam mattress and just a 4" memory foam topper. Thank you!
Old 27-12-2013, 20:22   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

On land we use a 2" memory foam topper from Costco on top of a standard 4" foam base. Wonderful.

The issue for us on the boat is that it would make it even harder to get to the areas beneath the V-berth. Much easier to roll up sheets and blankets without the topper. So we live without it aboard, never more than a few weeks at a time; but if we became long-term cruisers I'd add it in a heartbeat.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 10:13   #15

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Hello Steve. My answers are bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
1) Do you use an inexpensive memory foam mattress on your boat? How do you like it?
I have a 4" foam from Walmart. It's regular foam for 3" and a 1" topper inside a zippered cover.

2) They generally come in 6", 8" and 12" thicknesses but for more head room I'm thinking of buying a 4" thick memory foam mattress meant for a sofa bed. Anyone sleeping on one that thin? Do you like it?
Yes, and NO! I was not comfy with just the thinnest version. With the addition of 5" foam (scraps from another boat gifted to me) I've got without a doubt a very nice comfortable bunk. The original was okay (just okay -- not bad per se) however the extra foam has made a tremendous difference. I don't know that 5" would be required -- it was free, but I'd definitely add something under the Walmart topper.

3) Did you buy a stock size (king, queen, full, twin) and then have it cut to fit the berth? Did you cut the foam yourself? How do you get sheets to fit it?
Yes, just the standard twin size at about $100. Unzip the case and use sharp scissors. It wasn't difficult. I rezipped and then tucked the extra cover fabric under the bunk. It wasn't difficult to cut and came out okay.

As for sheets, I use regular flat sheets (not fitted) and simply tuck the excess under the edges and bottom of the mattress. I made a quilt to go on my berth too so it's okay. Yes, girly, but hey, that's me!

4) How do you prevent mold from forming under it?
I'll be adding the foam (3/8" thick) that comes from the next set of solar panels under my mattresses. It has worked along the hull under my bunk in the storage area down there. There are expensive options but I'm going to try the foam bit first. It's almost like Styrofoam but isn't. Hard to describe but I'm sure you've seen the foam sheets used when packing something? That's what I'm talking about.
Anyway Steve. Good luck. AND if you'd like my advice, I'd opt for the thinnest version from Walmart then put it atop some regular foam (like you'd find at JoAnn Fabrics) if you're on a budget. Start with 3" from JoAnn's and I suspect you'll be pleased. Good luck.

Tags
lease