Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 04:13   #46

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Questions about using a Memory Foam Mattress on your Boat Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I read somewhere that the first generation MF had a thermal property that later formulations eliminated.
We had purchased $3400 mf mattress about 13 years ago and it was terribly hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. Sold it before we moved aboard still got alot of $ for it yay,,, mattresses aboard are 4" hi density foam, 2" mf topper, Froli sleep system under it all and we sleep awesome!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 09:53   #47

Boat: 1987 Morgan 43

1) Do you use an inexpensive memory foam mattress on your boat? How do you like it? Yes, a mattress "topper" from Home Depot that was on clearance. Maybe not the best improvement we made to the boat but could be in the top 5. I love it.

2) They generally come in 6", 8" and 12" thicknesses but for more head room I'm thinking of buying a 4" thick memory foam mattress meant for a sofa bed. Anyone sleeping on one that thin? Do you like it?This mattress topper is something like 2-3 inches thick. It looks just like this one. It works great, soft but not too soft.

3) Did you buy a stock size (king, queen, full, twin) and then have it cut to fit the berth? Did you cut the foam yourself? How do you get sheets to fit it?This was a stock sized queen. It being square and the berth itself being essentially a parallelogram, we had to cut it to fit a bit - just used a pair of scissors. Sheets fit right over the topper and tuck under the mattess keeping it all tight.

4) How do you prevent mold from forming under it?It's been a year, no mold. We didn't do anything to prevent it either, it's just never been a issue. We do strip the bed when we leave the boat so it has a couple of days a week without sheets and blankets so maybe it airs out enough then to prevent mold.
Old 15-01-2014, 18:26   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

AFAIK memory foam is a closed cell foam, so no moisture would accumulate under it and no mold would grow there. And IIRC The 'memory' effect happened with the heat from the human body, combining the closed cell with the action being caused by heat, and that's why they were (and still are) a 'hot' mattress compared to better vented ones.

I think there are some new types boasting of ventilated forms (not simply foam blocks) and phase change materials and all sorts of improvements. But, that's all from the industry that tells me for the first decades of my life I was only imagining that I could sleep and sleep well on only 4-6" of mattress, and that it is simply not possible to do so on less than twice that thickness. (Ahuh, sure, right.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:09   #49

Steve, After many sleepless nights we bought the cheap memory foam from walmart to put ontop of our mattress. We used it for a few years but it became very uncomfortable and moisture was always an issue inbetween the two mattresses. We then had a professional memory foam mattress made specifically for the area, but the same shape. We picked out the best foam, which is mold and moisture resistant, and put an inch thick separator underneath to prevent moisture from getting under the mattress. This mattress was expensive but well worth a good night sleep and no moisture or mold problems.
Freedom2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17   #50

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I just wrote this up on our blog yesterday- Custom Yacht Mattress » Landfall Voyages
It's been perfect. One of the best improvements on the boat.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:31   #51

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwoods View Post
2) They generally come in 6", 8" and 12" thicknesses but for more head room I'm thinking of buying a 4" thick memory foam mattress meant for a sofa bed. Anyone sleeping on one that thin? Do you like it? This mattress topper is something like 2-3 inches thick. It looks just like this one. It works great, soft but not too soft.
Thank you for the feedback!

Can you confirm that you're sleeping on JUST the mattress topper? Or is that on top of some other mattress or foam?

We have the same situation, can't use anything more than 5"-6" max. Looking for the best use of that limited space.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:58   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We inherited a memory foam mattress when we bought the boat, I've no idea of the thickness or quality but I dislike it. It's hot and we roll together. The mattress is 8 years old this year and I can't wait to be somewhere we can get hold of custom made sprung mattresses for our bunk!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:45   #53

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds

We've had a 1-1/2" thick memory foam topper from Walmart for 4+ years. It floats on top of the 4" thick hinged mattress that came with our boat. Our guest room doesn't have one.

Here's my experience:

1) I have womanly hips and sleep on my side. On the occasion we have to sleep in the guest room, I don't sleep well at all! My spine curves without the extra padding for support. The 1-1/2" of foam is just enough.

2) Dave prefers sleeping without the foam because it's much much cooler. I agree but I can't give up the extra thickness.

3) Our bed is oriented sideways and there's little headroom. Making the bed is like wrestling a giant octopus. We have to flip the back mattress half up first, which makes the topper slide toward the center and gather in the mattress hinge. It takes a coordinated jump on all fours while pulling the topper forward with the fitted sheet in place to make it lay right.

4) Whatever you choose, make sure to consider your your available headroom.
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 17:49   #54

Boat: Beneteau 361

We purchased a 2" memory foam topper (from Costco), with zippered cover, and trimmed it to fit on top of the stock 4" mattress. Used a sharp knife to make cuts in the foam, without too much of a "hillbilly effect". The admiral used her sewing machine to custom fit the king mattress topper/sheet set to fit the combined mattress set. We can get a tad warm while sleeping (we are in the East Caribbean), but have to admit the comfort level makes it all worth it.

We remove and air everything out and store the boat with cushions and mattresses propped up when leaving the boat...not a sign of mold/mildew on anything after 6 months on the hard...after 4 seasons.
mtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease