Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2013, 11:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Questions about using a memory foam mattress on your boat please...

I have a wally world 8" foam mattress (bed in a box) that I've been sleeping on for 4-5 years now. Really comfortable. I used a serrated bread knife to cut it to shape for the V berth, though an electric carving knife works better. Plus its closed cell foam so no moisture gets into the foam.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 12:24   #17

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We bought ours from here Chair Cushion, Boat Cushions, Replacement Cushions, Patio Cushion and love it.
Old 29-12-2013, 07:02   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
And I'll check out thefoamfactory.com too because maybe they can tell me the difference between sleeping on an 8" memory foam mattress and just a 4" memory foam topper. Thank you!
I'd be interested in that answer, too.

I share your issue of overhead clearance. Ideally, I'd like to keep the total "mattress" no more than 5"-6". No room for any more than that.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 07:45   #19

Boat: Fountain Pajot Maryland 37
Send a message via Skype™ to womensetsail
Re: Questions about using a Memory Foam Mattress on your Boat Please...

We have memory foam topper (also from Walmart) and it's supper comfortable. We placed it over the standard 4" foam "mattress" from the manufacturer..

In the summer in Florida we use the humidstat quite a bit to keep the cabins dry and we did find the the topper became discolored but still seems to do the job after about three years of using it.
womensetsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 07:58   #20

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Questions about using a Memory Foam Mattress on your Boat Please...

Latex Mattress, Latex Mattresses, Latex Foam Mattress, Foam Rubber, Latex Pillow

I haven't spent any dough here ... yet... but lots of good info.

I keep trying different things. My current bunk is a new 3" hunk of "medium" foam from an outlet for $50. Too soft, so I added my Thermarest camp air/foam mattress. Excellent support but the camp pad is just 19" w, and I prefer 24". Sleeping in a quarterberth at the moment as it's easier to heat the area. I'd rather have storage than berths.

Still, a previous boat had a high dollar 2" latex pad. Great sleeping on, and I'm leaning toward another. That deeeeeep soooooft foam isn't nice to this old back. YMMV
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 09:26   #21
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

I have a 5" latex matress I got from Ikea. It came with a zip on cover so that it could be washed.
A careful evening with a knife cut the core to size. A local clothes modification shop put darts in the cover for $30 so that fits nice.

Ikea also do a memory foam mattress with the same zip on cover but haven't tried it as the second twin came with a memory foam matress already.

The matress sits on a vent layer and is heated by the hot tank.. so no condensation problems observed.

Sent from my HTC One X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 22:42   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We bought ours (along with several others for the house) on fleabay, from sleepy mountain mattress. They will custom cut for you, for a nominal fee. Or, as noted, an electric knife works fine.

We love ALL of ours. We only weekend, so moisture has not been a problem so far.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 14:17   #23

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36

We have a "Bobopedic" on our boat. I cut it to size with an electric knife. We also bought their oops-proof cover for it. If the mattress is wet/moldy/etc. its replacement is covered by the weather proof cover. We have dri-dek under the mattress and I made a thick insulating pad to put between the mattress and the outer hull using sill insulation and marine vinyl. Since I added the insulating pad, there has been no ice or damp from cold formation We live aboard in So. Maine where it gets quite cold in winter......today's high was 13 F.
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 21:56   #24

I called FoamFactory.com and since I'm trying to keep as much headroom as possible she recommended I go with 4 pound memory foam thats either 2" or 3" on the top with a 3" base of their really dense foam called "Lux HQ." That means my mattress would be 5" or 6" thick overall which is still thicker than I hoped it would have to be. She said I could glue the two foams together with spray contact cement like 3M Spray 77. The thing is that a "full" size mattress using their foam will cost me about $311 or $360 with a mattress cover (I don't remember if that includes shipping). Or for half the price I could buy a 6" thick Full size Spa Sensations mattress from Walmart for only $156 with tax that has only 1 1/2" of memory foam on top. I'm dumping a lot of money into this project so I'll probably go with the Walmart mattress even though the FoamFactory mattress is probably better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'd be interested in that answer, too.

I share your issue of overhead clearance. Ideally, I'd like to keep the total "mattress" no more than 5"-6". No room for any more than that.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 22:00   #25

I bought two 8" thick memory foam mattresses from Walmart a few years ago. One was a Bed In a Box and the other was a Spa Sensations. I sold one since then and don't remember which one I kept but they were/are both very comfortable. I wonder though how much comfort I will lose if I buy their thinner 6" thick model? Decisions, decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I have a wally world 8" foam mattress (bed in a box) that I've been sleeping on for 4-5 years now. Really comfortable. I used a serrated bread knife to cut it to shape for the V berth, though an electric carving knife works better. Plus its closed cell foam so no moisture gets into the foam.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:57   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If the Walmart mattress doesn't make you happy...they take returns, right? So just be patient about cutting it up.<G>

You can also cut foam with repeated strokes of a plain sharp single-edged razor blade or box cutter. Just be patient, and use fresh sharp blades. And some scrap on the bottom so you don't cut into the floor. Make each stroke long and smooth, you should be able to get at least one inch of cut depth on each pass, then just hold it apart while making the next pass.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:15   #27

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
I called FoamFactory.com and since I'm trying to keep as much headroom as possible she recommended I go with 4 pound memory foam thats either 2" or 3" on the top with a 3" base of their really dense foam called "Lux HQ." That means my mattress would be 5" or 6" thick overall which is still thicker than I hoped it would have to be. She said I could glue the two foams together with spray contact cement like 3M Spray 77. The thing is that a "full" size mattress using their foam will cost me about $311 or $360 with a mattress cover (I don't remember if that includes shipping). Or for half the price I could buy a 6" thick Full size Spa Sensations mattress from Walmart for only $156 with tax that has only 1 1/2" of memory foam on top. I'm dumping a lot of money into this project so I'll probably go with the Walmart mattress even though the FoamFactory mattress is probably better.
Yep, not all memory foam or other foam are equal.

The best way to measure quality is to weigh the memory foam. It should NOT weigh less than 4 pounds per cubic foot...you'll need to do the geometry.

The Lux foam you mentioned is polyurethane foam and probably 3.2 pounds per cubic foot. Polyurethane foam should NOT be used at weights less than about 2.5 pounds per cubic foot.

A 2" layer of high quality (4 pounds and up) memory foam glued to 4-6 inches of high quality polyurethane foam is the construction process that Tempur-Pedic uses. A simple zippered denim cover is all you need, except that you may want a quilted fiber topper in the summer for more breathe-ability. You can make a Tempur-Pedic-type mattress for about 15% of the retail price...this is NOT rocket science.

I was in furniture manufacturing for years and have intimate knowledge of foams and their uses.

Do not buy cheap foam that does not meet the minimum weights (above) in terms of pounds per cubic foot.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:25   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Questions about using a Memory Foam Mattress on your Boat Please...

Delivered a boat with 2inch memory foam over the standard berth cushions.. man did it draw the sweat.. rolled it up and threw it into a locker..
Mind.. I don't like pillows either.. except as sex aids...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:01   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Has anyone ever tried Select Comfort? We've been very happy with their durability on land, they are very light (easy to get to storage and to make-up), and so long as the berth is standard size.... No trimming, of course. You do need 110v for the pump, but it doesn't cycle on for months at a time.

We sleep on a king every night, but we have a spare queen on a guest bed, and now that our kid is off to college, there's no reason I couldn't use that one.

Not cheap, but ahhh....
Old 02-01-2014, 17:34   #30

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Has anyone ever tried Select Comfort? We've been very happy with their durability on land, they are very light (easy to get to storage and to make-up), and so long as the berth is standard size.... No trimming, of course. You do need 110v for the pump, but it doesn't cycle on for months at a time.

We sleep on a king every night, but we have a spare queen on a guest bed, and now that our kid is off to college, there's no reason I couldn't use that one.

Not cheap, but ahhh....
How do you plan to power it? Or is it a marina boat?

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease