Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2011, 09:17   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Question on Tipping in US Marinas

san diego hasn't launches. you are on your own there. havent ever been approached in any manner as to be requisite for tipping--is a mexico thing-- gringos always tip in mexico, whether is necessary or not---EVERYONE gets tipped here--- fuel attendents, grocery store helpers, everyone.....but not in sd.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:19   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I usually tip the dockhand around $10 if he/she has been helpful in getting lines set up and power to the boat. I hate being seen as a cheapskate. If I can afford the boat, I can afford an occasional tip.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:19   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Yes. It is like elsewhere, not required, but appreciated. A few dollars for a fuel up and perhaps a dollar for a pump out isn't unusual.
Old 19-07-2011, 09:19   #19

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It may be a west coast / east coast thing. We really dont have many launches that I'm aware of out here...maybe San Diego has one? Seldom get help docking unless asked for on the radio, except at the fuel dock. No sure if the marinas really employ many dockhands either..usually a maintence guy....? I think most our docks are floating docks instead of pilings though. Now you all have me worried that I stiffed the dock hands while traveling the East!
It was probably me that you stiffed,,,tell you what,,to make you feel better you can put the tip plus interest and bonus into my paypal account,,,send me an email and I will send you the info,,,,hope this helps to clear your conscience
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
san diego hasn't launches. you are on your own there. havent ever been approached in any manner as to be requisite for tipping--is a mexico thing-- gringos always tip in mexico, whether is necessary or not---EVERYONE gets tipped here--- fuel attendents, grocery store helpers, everyone.....but not in sd.
I thought San Diego WAS Mexico??
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
It was probably me that you stiffed,,,tell you what,,to make you feel better you can put the tip plus interest and bonus into my paypal account,,,send me an email and I will send you the info,,,,hope this helps to clear your conscience
OK...would you mind coming out to Seattle and filling the water tank first?
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:46   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rofl--is almost as much mexico as is ensenada..lol...north mexico... they speak as much english in sd as they do in ensenada....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 10:12   #23

If they handle the pump-out hose they get a tip, always. When stopping for fuel, water and a pump-out a $5 tip always seems appreciated and appropriate.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 10:14   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
If they handle the pump-out hose they get a tip, always. When stopping for fuel, water and a pump-out a $5 tip always seems appreciated and appropriate.
Interesting. There seems to be a split here between east coast and west coast responses.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:51   #25

Boat: Islander Freeport 36

I don't have to fuel up much with our sailboat, but when we do at our local fuel dock the attendant is always there to assist. Depending on what they do for us, I'll usually tip the attendant $5.00 for his help. The young guys there don't make all the much, they're nice and helpful, and the tip is not going to break the bank.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 11:46   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Went to the fuel dock the other day for my mid-season $80 of diesel. As I was coming in the attendent left the dock (make us reorganize as we had decided he would be there once we saw him but we know each of our jobs during the docking)! But showed back up just after I stepped off the boat and tied up my mid cleat, and then helped with the stern line.

He later told me it was his 4th day on the job. So while my wife visited the facilities and I filled the water tanks I took a look at that stern line, which led to a lesson on how to tie a cleat hitch (I was nice about it). Was fun watching him practicing afterwards while I finished filling the water tanks (you would think the marina would have given him some training beyound just how to turn on the power to the pumps).

As we were casting off we gave him a tip, which seemed to surprise him. Hope he looks at us blow boats with more favor later.

For the lanuch drivers to the our mooring. Who we call and expect to come out ever if it is pouring rain etc, I keep track in my mind who I have tipped. I don't tip each trip, but I tip big when I do and they seem to remember it more this way. Funny that once in a while they tell me it wasn't needed but this may be a trick. :-)
Old 19-07-2011, 17:37   #27

I figure if I can afford a marina slip for the night, I can afford to tip! If they handle the pumpout hose; If a current is running or I'm having trouble getting this (full-keel, heavy, not very nimble) boat in the slip and they haul down on the lines HARD and make me look good; etc, then I give a little more. I don't *like* the system of paying workers less than the wage they'd need to stay above the poverty line even if they work full-time, making them dependent on tips, but it *is* the system in this part of the country.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 18:49   #28

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I would NEVER tip one of the poop suckers! Where our boat is located, the poop is pumped by town employees in a town owned boat who are well paid AND we are well taxed to accommodate their salaries. Further, they are only found availalbe on weekend mornings excluding holidays.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 19:14   #29

I have seen county pump-out boats that, for lack of a better description, extort tips from the boaters. To the extent that when pumping out a boat whose owner was absent, demanded a tip form the dock boy who helped him! Fortunately that kind of behavior is rare and, in this case the offender was fired. Most of these guy/gals definitely earn their tips. I'm with wingNwing on this one. Bad system, but it's the one we have and need to live with it. No need to punish the employees for working within the system.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 19:34   #30

Re: Question on Tipping in US marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Cheechako -
Not far off the mark. We blowboaters frequently get ignored because we're buying 50 bucks worth of diesel (at the most) rather than 500 bucks. You can tell the difference between marina staffs when you're on a sailboat. Good marinas go out of their way to welcome all their customers.
A friendly, helpful dock hand, even if all he does is tie you up, wouldn't look askance at a 2 or 3 dollar tip though he wouldn't think it mandatory. And if you're on a sailboat you might get to see him faint!
You are right about good marinas appreciating all their customers. I came in to a harbor on Monday and picked up a transient mooring. I was the only boat on them. So I was basically their only customer. Of course I did help the local economy while I was there too. But, 50 bucks worth of diesel? NEVER! Well not since I converted to electric propulsion anyway. Pulled up to the fuel dock today and filled a 2 1/2 gallon jerry jug with gas for the Honda generator. (Only carry 5 gallons total on most trips) but, I also picked a block of ice too! Had to instruct the dockhand what to do with the bow line when docking and had to fill my own jerry jug. I went to the office and paid for the gas and ice. Returned to the boat thinking the fellow would bring the block of ice to the boat and help with the lines. Seems he never added the ice to the gas bill so I had to go back to the office and pay for the ice and carry it back down to the boat. I still gave him a buck since I think he was still learning the ropes or lines as the case may be. The launch driver faired better. Two bucks paid on the return trips back to the boat. My feeling is you don't pay the ferryman till he gets to the other side or back on the boat. He greatly appreciated it too.

Tags
marinas