Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 13:06   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
What are the top 5 things/systems you had/wish you had on your boat and why?

Theres only one thing that can't be bought easily and needs to be on the boat before leaving.
I also notice its on the top of the list of many other replies.

A watermaker.

We would love one.
All other things can be fairly easily purchased or upgraded etc. And many things will be added to your boat as you go around and you will say things like we say: That totally changed our crusing for the better...

What are 3 things you WISH you would have known before you left and why?

Nothing. It can all be learned on the way.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 13:18   #17

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Most newbies over prepare and over equip.

Just go. Add nothing to the boat for the first six months, then slowly and carefully add items you decide you really need and you are prepared to pay for, repair and replace,

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 13:43   #18

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
A large screen chartplotter. Reduces anxiety tremendously.
Heavy ground tackle. Bought an oversized Rokna and 150 ft. of chain. Sleep better at night and reduces anxiety,
SSB radio. Get weather and reduce anxiety,
Want solar panels.
Want watermaker.

It is easier than you might think. Just go and add stuff as you need and want. I would get a large screen chartplotter before leaving, I have the Garmin 5212 and it was the best $3500 I spent.
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 18:05   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
OK, Now I read other posts and think,...Yeah, sure... I depend on that too! No question ...a good ground tackle system is essential,- and for sure a dinghy w/ davits and outboard,- communication,- no doubt...VHF...SSB... I'm not sold on the watermaker need, at least not for me at this time with my style of cruising and I'm not interested in interfacing my electronics,- 'maybe too old school, but I like my brain to remain as the interface between my sources of information. Take care and joy, aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 18:45   #20

Boat: Ingrid 38 Cutter S/V Kokopelli
Number one for me is a great co-capt my husband Chuck
Number two a sailboat I really felt safe on..& could handle on my own
Number three my charts,gps & a compass with a light for night vision
Number four my safety harness & jack lines which I should wear more
Number five a good handy ditch bag & my Spot & or Epirb...
The rest is a piece of cake to enjoy...
The three things I would wish for are
A Ham & a license to use it
A new radar
A Combo of solar panels,wind& water generators & a manual water maker..
We sailed the Pacific from Vancouver Island to La Paz MX pretty barebones on our first Ingrid..which had radar & solar panels. Our current Ingird has neither,but we were crusing last summer along the southern US coast. In early 2011 we're heading off again starting in the Bahamas..& to wherever the winds & following seas send us.
Have fun..Linda S/V Kokopelli
FLKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 18:56   #21

After 10 years cruising I REALLY love

1. The Monitor self steering. Uses no power, a third member of the crew when passage making.
2. Good sized galley with Taylors stove. Big enough to cook 'proper' meals, even an 18lb turkey one Christmas!
3.SSB with Pactor for email capability. Helped me feel more comfortable leaving the kids behind to be able to be in close contact where ever we are.
4.Sea berths. Proper ones amidships. Where it's possible to get a good sleep even in the roughest of weather.
5.Proper china, glasses etc. Nothing worse than 'camping' if you are a longterm cruiser. I like my creature comforts and don't see why I need to be without them on the boat!

What would I like?

Less electronics and systems, they only breakdown and if we can't fix them ourselves they have no business on the boat...
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 14:39   #22

Boat: Catalina 470
Top 5 things/systems for extended cruising....

Brittany,
You ask good questions.....and I'll provide my answers, just be aware that the definitive answers are going to be based on YOUR boat, YOUR cruising / voyaging plans, YOUR desires / applications, and YOUR definitions of "quality-of-life" issues....
So, while we all can give you OUR answers, for OUR boats, OUR desires, OUR definition of "quality-of-life", etc.....they may be / will be different from yours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtraveler View Post
Part one: What are the top 5 things/systems you had/wish you had on your boat and why?
In the 21st Century, the list has changed a little, and depending on where/how I'm cruising, the order of the list will vary some....but here's my list:

1) Alternative energy.....and a comprehensive energy plan (design and install an ernergy "system" (batteries, monitor, solar panels, etc. etc.) not just "some stuff"..... based on your energy needs/desires, and where/how you're cruising....taking into account future plans/additions...)

Whether used for refrigeration/freezer, navigation equipment, autopilot, communications equipment, ventilation, entertainment, etc. etc. etc...
Most modern long-distance cruisers depend on their electrical system far more than in years past.....and many new to cruising remote areas and/or long-range voyaging, are usually in serious electrical deficits, and will need as much alternative energy (solar) as they can fit.....

{Although, this does go hand-in-hand with the earlier comments about many newbies being over-equipped......nobody ever regrets having solar/alternative energy!!!!}

As much un-shaded solar as you can fit and secure.....never met a sailor/cruiser who regretted adding solar....

See my article/photos of my 520 watt arrary here:
Solar Panels

Depending on your boat and where/how you're cruising, you may also wish to consider wind / water generators....
See my water gen set-up here:
Towed-Water-Generator

To paraphrase Rich, on s/v Third Day...."there's no such thing as too much electrical energy nor too much fresh water..."

{#2, #3, and #4.....all run very close to each other....}

2) Reliable self-steering.....whether hi-quality autopilot or wind vane....
The importance of having a reliable means of steering your boat cannot be understated....(and if electric autopilot, remember #1 above....plenty of alternative energy and battery power...)

Reliable.....is the key part here.....no skimping here....make sure the darn thing works, works well / reliably, and that you can fix/adjust things yourselves....(and have spare parts as well...)

3) Good, secure, and comfortable, sea berths.....as well as berths while in port..
Make sure you've got two solid and secure sea berths that are comfortable and well-ventilated......adequate lee cloths / lee boards, plenty of fans, and decent padding/cushioning......

Although, I've changed/added some fans....Here are some photos of what I've done in this regard...
Lee Boards/Cloths
Starboard Lee Cloth
12 Volt Fans

Getting a good rest is one of the most important factors in staying safe, healthy, and happy on-board.....
(the other being good food and drink....so a well-equipped and well stocked galley is also in the top 10 list....)

4) Big, hi-quality anchors, chain, windlass, snubbers, extra chain and rode, etc....

Solid ground tackle is also one of those things that go unnoticed by many who are used to benign anchorages and familiar territories.....but, for those cruising far-flung locales and voyaging long distances (like I do), having big, strong, and well designed and well installed anchors / anchoring systems is VERY important.....

{My #5 and #6 are MY OPINIONS....based on MY desires, and MY applications.....so it might seem odd to some, but they work for me.....}

5) Bimini top / Sun protection......depending on where you're cruising, this might even be #2.....(and can be part of your solar array if you plan correctly...)

6) Hi-quality, COLD refrigeration (and freezer), with lots of hi-quality insulation (NOT the type that absorbs moisture), thereby allowing low-power consumption AND lots of cold, fresh food and drinks....and adequate freezer to freeze fesh food provisioned along the way....

This may sound like a "cop-out" to some "purists", but I've voyaged / cruised 10's of thousands of miles over the last 40 years, and I like my refrigeration.....
Some may want big-screen TV's and DVD players, but that's not my cup-of-tea....I like my ice cold frig and freezer....

Here are some photos/decription of what I went through to achieve a cold frig/freezer and have low-power consumption....
Frig/Freezer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I wrote above, these questions are dependent on individual's opinions.....
But, in my mind, #1 thru #6 above, are on the top of the list, since they allow you to DO what you want, SAIL where you want, STAY how long you want, BE happy and healthy.....and everythng else comes after that.....
As for things following on my list, that would include..... hi-quality dinghy / outboard (preferably RIB)......Good stereo, lots of music, SW radio (for BBC, RCI, etc.), High quaility / reliable depth sounder (depending on where you're cruising, this could be a VERY important thing to have), decent communications gear / SSB/Ham radio (I'm a long-time radio nut)....and finally a watermaker.....

See some of my set-up here....
Watermaker
Nav Station
E120/Cockpit

A watermaker is NICE, and I DO have a nice one....
And, I do LOVE my watermaker....
And, they do make cruising remote areas / voyaging long distances a pleasure...
But, in my opinion they don't make the "top 5 list".....
Depending on where/how your cruising, they'll be close.....and most these days would have them in their "top 10 list".....but not quite the "top 5"....

I do hope all this helps.....

John
s/v Annie Laurie

P.S.
There's a website that you might wish to read over....it's call "The Interview with a Cruiser Project"....
The INTERVIEW WITH A CRUISER Project
The INTERVIEW WITH A CRUISER Project: 10 Questions for Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 14:56   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Most newbies over prepare and over equip.

Just go. Add nothing to the boat for the first six months, then slowly and carefully add items you decide you really need and you are prepared to pay for, repair and replace,
Now that makes sense.
Old 12-08-2010, 16:34   #24

Boat: Catalina 470
Doodles and Dana-tenacity,
While I DO agree with you.....

Brittany was asking:
Quote:
What are the top 5 things/systems you had/wish you had on your boat and why?
.....I interputed that literally, and did not think she was aking for advice on how/when to equip their boat...since they're leaving next month, I assume they've already done their equipment fit-out, and were just looking for some comparisons....

Perhaps I misunderstood?????

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 16:51   #25

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Doodles and Dana-tenacity,
While I DO agree with you.....

Brittany was asking: .....I interputed that literally, and did not think she was aking for advice on how/when to equip their boat...since they're leaving next month, I assume they've already done their equipment fit-out, and were just looking for some comparisons....

Perhaps I misunderstood?????

John
s/v Annie Laurie
No, you understood fine. I think it was thread drift on our part.
Old 12-08-2010, 17:54   #26

ka4wja, great post, lots of good reading in there. I have bookmarked for future reference.

-rolf
Rolf the Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 17:59   #27

Solar panels, watermaker, dodger, solid toolset and knowing your boat. A problem you can fix yourself takes a few hours tops, or potentially weeks if you need to bring someone else along.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 18:35   #28

Boat: Brewer 44
Wow! Ka4wja - great stuff!! before i popped on here i was actually doing an internet search for 'fan placement' on a boat and sure enough, you have a whole page dedicated to it! score!! And yes - we are pretty much all set up. The only things we don't have are 1) refrigeration and 2) a watermaker - but otherwise, we are pretty kitted out...you can see our 'to do' list (and progress) here.

I asked the original question, as you said, for comparison...i just wanted to gauge if we were on the right track and i was really just curious what other people found as 'essential'. I love learning from others on this site...it's incredibly useful. Also interesting that you directed me to the IWAC website - I actually have link to them in my blog and enjoy it every monday!

thanks so much all!! keep 'em coming...

brittany
Old 12-08-2010, 18:40   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I would second the remark by Gord about paper charts. A recent Delmarva circumnavigation confirmed (for me) their value. Trying to sail the Delaware Bay would have been next to impossible with the myopic view you see on a chartplotter. Having the paper chart to get the "big picture" is a necessity in my mind.
Old 12-08-2010, 19:03   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
My top 5 are

1. Dodger (with opening window)
2. Autopilot (below decks)
3. Anchor (oversize), all chain rode, and windlass
4. GPS and electronic charts (on computer or chartplotter)
5. Solar Panels

The top 3 things I wish I knew earlier are

1. Don't sail on calender dates--sail by the weather forecasts.
2. Its possible to get good food almost anywhere--don't overstock.
3. I knew this one before, but its so important, I'll repeat it--take shake down cruises before you make big jumps.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long term cruising