Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 10:48   #1

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Providencia Island, Colombia

I'm interested in going to and staying at Providencia Island, or maybe I should say, Isla de Providencia. I will be sailing from the Panama Canal. What kind of anchoring should I expect? Marinas? Any information would be great.

Thank you,
Ty
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:31   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Providencia Island, Colombia

No marinas but a great anchorage. You can dinghy out some fuel but limited food, so bring anything interesting with you. A truly wonderfull place.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:17   #3

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Thank you!
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I'm interested in going to and staying at Providencia Island, or maybe I should say, Isla de Providencia. I will be sailing from the Panama Canal. What kind of anchoring should I expect? Marinas? Any information would be great.

Thank you,
Ty
Hi Ty.

I have not yet been there, but have been researching the Western Caribbean and have recently put together a free Illustrated Guide to Western Caribbean cruising guides and resources (including notes from BELIZESAILOR, who was most helpful).

Here is a link to it. I hope it helps you and others. Also, once you get there, if you have something you would like me to add to my Guide, based on your experience there, let me know.

Best Sailing Cruising Guides to Western Caribbean Panama Belize Columbia – GlobalAdvisor
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:55   #5

Boat: center console

The anchoring there is good, protected on 3 sides & open to the west (as I remember, Jan 2014). There is fuel available by dinghy as previously mentioned. Many small stores/bars/restaurants & open markets with fresh goods. I can't imagine what you might want than might not be available. Good cell service in the anchorage & stores to buy a phone card. A decent small airport with turboprop service to mainland Colombia & maybe Panama. Several small resorts thruout the island & worth a day trip to explore. Do expect to be boarded for Customs with dogs for a good sniff, as the Colombian Navy hangs nearby to catch drug subs & boats.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 13:08   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Sounds like it's changing. The airport used to be almost abandoned, one cafe on the island and lousy internet. It sounds more like San Andres now but with a better anchorage.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Colombia, enc, Isla de Providencia, San Andrés Island