Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2014, 10:38   #1

Protecting Consumer Electronics from Corrosion

I'm researching becoming a liveaboard in southern California and one thing that concerns me is corrosion. I own a Macbook Air, iPad and iPhone and am worried about damp air ruining their circuitry particularly in the laptop which is air-cooled. Will an electric de-humidifier keep the air dry enough to safeguard my electronics? What about a product like DamRid?

Thanks.
DougTheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 10:46   #2

Re: Protecting consumer electronics from corrosion

If the Damprid is that product of granules you put in a little bin... it soaks up moisture like crazy.... but useless really because it disappears super fast. I guess it's an issue for laptops, althoguh mine on boats have not failed due to moisture really. Batteries or hardrive once. Heck your laptop is obsolete after a couple years anyway....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 10:53   #3

I believe that most phones and tablets wouldn't be harmed by normal use at the seaside. Keep them dry, obviously (you can get cases to help with that). You can also store the devices in sealed bags or containers, with dessicants to help dry out the air.

Some phones and tablets are now made water-resistant. My SONY xperia phone is allegedly waterproof for 30 min at up to 1m depth.

Besides, who keeps a phone for more than 3 years?

Marine life might be harder on a laptop. You can look for a mil-spec laptop like a Panasonic Toughbook, or, simply buy an inexpensive laptop/netbook for the boat and budget to replace it every two years. Because a marine laptop will also be subject to sun, being dropped, temperature extremes, etc etc anyway.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 11:32   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have 2 macbook pros, 2 PC's, 2 phones and numerous other consumer electronics devices. None of them have had any damp environmental air problems in 5 years of cruising in the tropics.

Being on a boat is no different than being in a house on the ocean (assuming the boat doesn't have liquid leaks).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 12:24   #5

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We have 2 macbook pros, 2 PC's, 2 phones and numerous other consumer electronics devices. None of them have had any damp environmental air problems in 5 years of cruising in the tropics.

Being on a boat is no different than being in a house on the ocean (assuming the boat doesn't have liquid leaks).

Mark
Similar- 1 iMac, a Macbook Pro, Ipad, and 2 iphones. Been full time liveaboards for the past 5 years, and zero problems.
Old 14-03-2014, 12:33   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I have had a Furuno MFB black box on the boat for over five years now. I recently had to return it because of a hard drive failure. The only corrosion found by Furuno was on two USB ports. I have three other desktops on the boat for running oceanographic instruments data logging and for running my nav software. I have had no problem with corrosion on the other computers. They are kept in cabinets in the boat ventilated with a few 12 volt, 120 mm computer fans, which when slowed down a little with a fan controller are silent.

I probably could have stopped the corrosion on the Furuno by coating the USB terminals with a little silicon grease.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 13:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Protecting Consumer Electronics from Corrosion

Once some years ago I did have a laptop fail due to salt spray exposure, but I was using it in my cockpit interfaced with my GPS using a navigation program. I've never had problems with my non-marine electronics while keeping them below or in the cockpit at a peaceful anchorage.
Old 16-03-2014, 02:48   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We have 3 laptops, a tablet, several phones (smart and conventional) and other consumer electricals on board and have had no problems with moisture in any of them. We also have no problems with dropping them, temperature extremes etc. We have treated all our electical items the same as we would in a house and have been on board for 7 years now without incident.
Old 16-03-2014, 05:38   #9

I had to say good-bye to an iphone due to corrosion from spray, and an ipad from impact (cracked screen). I made the mistake of keeping them in the cockpit and using them for navigation on passage with only one of the. 'Pouch-style' soft bags. I now use LifeProof and it works great against both of these hazards while maintaining full functionality.

I never bring the laptop on deck while moving, but have seen corrosion on the USB ports. I now keep it and other high end electronics stored in a watertight Pelican case when not in use.
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 10:48   #10

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

I live aboard in San Diego and have an IPad, Iphone, and computer with no problems. We have lived aboard in DC and Maryland with cell phones and a computer without any problems there.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 11:35   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Maybe I just buy cheap sh*t electronics, but we've had numerous failures. The biggest failure category is cameras. Some failing in 6 months. Laptops, aka PCs, seem to have an MTBF of about 2 years. Flashlights are worse than cameras. I have 5 year old PCs running onboard, but they are the exceptions.
Old 19-03-2014, 14:28   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Wow, Paul, that is a lot of failure. I don't know what to say - we have 5 digital cameras on board with the oldest one at 10yrs. They have been on board for 5yrs full-time cruising with no problems, if you discount the one that was dropped 6' onto the deck and was no longer able to focus properly. We also have 3 large and 4 small Maglights onboard that have been on board for 10yrs - 5 of those through 4-season cycles in New England and 5 full-time cruising. They get used daily with no problems.

Cheap digital watches and clocks, consumer weather station, assorted wifi dongles, routers, etc, cell phones, cell dongles, cell routers, DVM's - all sorts of consumer electronics with no problems.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 05:02   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

I probably just see the glass as half empty -- since there's lots of electronics working just fine on the boat. We had 2 Nikon Coolpix's and 1 Olympus camera fail over a 3 year period. Also two dead Dell laptops -- one got washed, so that doesn't count. Two Braun electric toothbrushes fail. Two and half dead Kindles (one runs most of the time, so I count that as a half). I"m sure I'm forgetting something. Cheap phones seem to work at least till their batteries give out. My mini-ITX PC has been reliable. All the Furuno, Vesper and ICOM gear has been reliable.
Old 20-03-2014, 10:48   #14

I have heard about occasionally 'baking' electronics in an oven to remove moisture, however I don't know how serious of a solution that is. If I had expensive high-end electronics to worry about, I think I would keep them in a pelican case with some dessicant. As for things like laptops, I just buy cheap ones and connect them to an external monitor and keyboard. A $300 netbook isn't as much a loss as a $2K macbook.
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 20:01   #15

Paul, you could just be experiencing general failure (or bad luck), not necessarily marine-related issues. Modern consumer electronics aren't often built to last. Rechargeable batteries are guaranteed to fail after a few years, and some components like electrolytic capacitors are more fragile these days.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, electronics, rot