Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2015, 15:46   #16

Boat: Conser 47
Re: Pros & cons of buying a multihull over a mono hull

Having cruised on both I prefer the cat for all the above reasons. As for speed it definitely depends on the design and weight. A slow cruising cat sails about the speed of s good mono.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 25-10-2015, 15:54   #17

If you don't mind a ''cave-like'' existence, a mono is OK. I recommend going on ''YouTube'' and look at the living arrangements on a cat and also some open water sailing on both cats and monos. For me, you just can't beat that flat, level sailing.
When I say ''cave-like'', I am talking about all of the time you spend in your solon, a cat is just so open and airy. Also a dodger or hardtop in the cockpit area provides you with welcome shade in the tropical sun.

Old 25-10-2015, 16:09   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Monohulls are not all alike and neither are the multihulls and the "pros & cons" don't fit for all the varieties.

We've lived aboard our monohulls, cruised and raised our children aboard over the last forty-three years. I would guess that, if I was cruising on a multihull, I would adapt to the boat and enjoy it. I don't see any reason to promote one over the other. If I were unable to adapt to the speed, space, motion and comfort of my boat I would probably travel on commercial airlines and live in a house or maybe I'd live in an RV and hear of people debating the pros and cons of a fifth wheel, trailer or a diesel pusher.

Sure, there are pros and cons of monohulls, multihulls, cutters, ketches, fractional rigs, deep drafts, shoal drafts, inboards, diesels, bilge keels, aft cockpits, center cockpits, heavy, light....... on and on. There is no "right boat",- 'best to make some choices by advice on threads like this; work to adapt to the things you boat does best; and accept the things that your boat will not be best suited.

I like to have a plan, but I can't accept the idea that one choice is best.
Old 25-10-2015, 18:12   #19

+1 hudson force.
Old 25-10-2015, 18:48   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

This forum has a prejudice for multihull boats. ... Here in central California, multihulls represent something less than five percent of recreational boats compared to monohulls. But then, we don't have major vacation boat-rental businesses here, catering to those disliking a leaning boat and wanting many bedrooms.

Boated through a racing fleet last weekend toward windward. At six knots, we caught up with the leading boats, trimarans (but not very far beyond some monohulls), within two hours after leaving the dock more than an hour and half behind them.

Maybe that's why many cruisers rely on their engines.
Old 25-10-2015, 19:19   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Boated through a racing fleet last weekend toward windward. At six knots, we caught up with the leading boats, trimarans (but not very far beyond some monohulls), within two hours after leaving the dock more than an hour and half behind them.
One and half hours behind them leaving the dock? How long between them leaving the dock and the race starting?
Old 25-10-2015, 19:39   #22

For an objective comparison. I suggest you go to the link below.
http://www.fsc.com.au/cproot/2931/3/...20monohull.pdf
Old 25-10-2015, 19:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
One and half hours behind them leaving the dock? How long between them leaving the dock and the race starting?
Most of the racers were underway as I passed by the Vallejo Yacht Club starting line in my automobile. My boating companion didn't arrive until more than an hour later at the municipal marina. (We weren't participating in the race. We're operating a slow motorboat for goodness sake.) Winds were generally light that day. San Pablo Bay was calm/behaving. The weather was wonderful, but suspect most of the racers wanted a bit more wind. We turned around at the Brothers at the same time the front leader was there heading for the central bay.
Old 25-10-2015, 20:20   #24

Boat: Conser 47

We have sailed many times in the mid to upper teens with glasses of wine on the table. Our mono friends call it the Magic Carpet Ride. On a mono you would be healed at 30 degrees. Very different.

A mono might be easier going to weather in big seas. I prefer to not beat to weather in any boat if possible. On long crossings you have time to use the wind shifts and hopefully the trade winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-10-2015, 20:28   #25

Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'

There are a lot of small monohulls that have significantly more internal room until you get to around 35-40' size, and it isn't split into two narrow hulls. At 40' and beyond cats generally have a bridge containing a good living area, below that you'll be quite exposed while sailing.

The shallow draft argument is a good one, but bilge keel monohulls are also an option if you're planning to travel shallow waters. Between 30-40' a trimaran is also a fine, and often overlooked, option.

The choice would also depend on budget, the age of the owners (hard heeling on a long crossing can be tiring) and the regions you intend to sail. Large cats do cost a lot, but hold their resale value better than most.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 21:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
... Large cats do cost a lot, but hold their resale value better than most.
Thus, expensive new or used.
Old 25-10-2015, 22:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
There are a lot of small monohulls that have significantly more internal room until you get to around 35-40' size, and it isn't split into two narrow hulls. At 40' and beyond cats generally have a bridge containing a good living area, below that you'll be quite exposed while sailing.

The shallow draft argument is a good one, but bilge keel monohulls are also an option if you're planning to travel shallow waters. Between 30-40' a trimaran is also a fine, and often overlooked, option.

What monohulls below 35' have more room than a similar length cat below 35'? I know we have a ton more space than any similar length mono we've been on.

Most 35' bilge keel boats are 5-6' draft. Our cats of similar length are 1.5' and 3'.

Cost and beam are the biggest downsides but that's getting better as the used market gets bigger. A lot of the mono cost advantage is because there are 40-50yrs worth of old monos to choose from.
Old 26-10-2015, 03:01   #28

Getting older here, and after 25 years of monohulls and 15 years of multihulls of all types, I'd sum it up that on a multi, the boat does much more of the work of sailing for you leaving you to enjoy more of the sail.
A heeling boat gives you one more dimension to take care of when, for example, reefing or simply moving about, cooking, doing anything down below. Also, the pendulum effect of a keel makes the mono's corkscrew motion downwind a pain for me. And anchoring in a slight swell, awful. Multi's don't suffer that.
Also, 'down below' doesn't really happen on a multi - you're 'up above', and I like that too. And then if I want to beach it to clean the bottom, change a seacock or saildrive seals, that's what you do.
And having two engines has been a real boon in our weed-soaked waters here; the overheat alarm goes off, so shut one down and continue on the other until you can sort the problem.
And after my wife topped 17+knots this year, it's no contest as far as she's concerned either....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speed.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	111593  
Old 26-10-2015, 10:46   #29

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Related to the following aspect I like to mention, that I started with monohull/dinghi sailing steadily climbing up to sipper 80 ft. monohulls. During my skipper job (professionally in the 90th) I got the chance to overtake a 15 meter Cruising Catamaran (single built, Aluminium) for a private owner and experienced the speed >20 knots.

Here a clear pro for multihulls... poking you to follow the 24hx7d live tracker of the TJV (Transat Jaques Vabre 2015) which started on Sunday (yesterday) with 42 boats in 4 divisions... more details here:

12th edition of Transat Jacques Vabre: 8 Tris (Multi50 & Maxis) started on Sunday

The princips are same for cruising boats. What counts is the size and the boat type which are clustered for the TJV as following.
  • Class 40... ~12 meters LOA... average speed 11 knots
  • IMOCA (open 60)... ~18 meters LOA... average speed 14-15 knots
  • Multi50 (one design Trimarans).... ~15 meters LOA... average speed 15-16 knots
  • Maxi Trimarans (open design 90-110 ft.)... ~24-31 meters LOA... average speed 18-19 knots
After sailing the first 27 hours we clearly can see the heavily lack of monohulls... The newly designed IMOCAs of bigger size (60 ft.) cant compete against the smaller Multihulls of "only" 50 feet.

Here we remember, that the average age of the "old Multi50s" is 6 years, being built is 2009.... while the leader of the IMOCA fleet is still behind. It is Alex Thomson with his brand new and with foils highly tuned BOSS boat (couple of weeks ago launched). It is the black boat in the screenshot of the "live tracker".

TJF2015 - Live Ticker at 04:00 pm UTC 26th Oct 2015... (you can follow on your own live here using your browser)

The result as I see it is drastically... and speaks for multihulls. The Class 40 (the bulk of boats on top) falls into the trap of a very low depression which was announced within the meteo consulting/briefing on Saturday...

The slower 40 footers (just 3 knots slower than the IMOCAs and 4-5 knots slower than the Multi50s) have to sail W-WNW course directly into the centre of the low depression- Instead: the target is Brazilian coast so they should head down to South to find back to the ideal course (the white-grey line in the tracker picture).

The fastest Maxi Tris Sodebo and Macif (you can see on the bottom of the tracker screenshot) - by their speed potentials - get the chance to hunt easily way.

The benefit is easily to be understood: More leight weighted = bigger speed, more safely the journey... same rule for a "cruising multihull" in comparison to "bigger monohulls". No difference as the physical principles are the same.

So don't think, that it doesn't count to have 2-3 knots higher speed during long distance sailing. Its worth to keep a cruising catamaran/trimaran leight weighted for getting the essential benefit to keep the boat + crew on the safe side of "bad weather"...

Happy & Safely Sailing !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-TJF-2015-Da2.png
Views:	105
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	111616  
Old 26-10-2015, 12:01   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

A catamaran is all about space and light. But many catamarans get their bridgedecks extremely hot in the tropics - big sun angled windows do not help. Vertical windows Lagoon style do much better.

b.

Tags
buying, hull, multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: