Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 16:35   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
liquid paraffin--can be found cheaply and is same stuff lol....walmart ultrapure is the one--any color!!!! i found liquid paraffin at wallys for 4 dollars/qt. i found some stuff i will try at home depot for 10 .95/gallon--lol---i am trying it out--is spozed to be cleaner than kerosene--mebbe is good stiff in a cheepo label--doesnt say anything about what is in it...LOL....wish me luck!!!!oh--i would try mineral spirits but i value my liver..LOL.....

as for trim--i was taught to merely take off the light grey stuff and let the rest be.....same shape as the burner. goood luck.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 17:06   #32

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Does the ultrapure stuff degrade over time and become smokey? I recently bought a Plath and Weems lamp, and when I lit it off, it smoked like crazy. I had some old stuff that I put into it. Or is it due more to improper wick trimming?

Nevermind, I re-trimmed it like I read here, and it stopped smoking. This place has info on everything.........
Old 03-01-2010, 18:51   #33

I have a kerosene galley stove and oven on board as well as a small Sigmarine boat heater. All can run on regular kerosene and it is the fuel that most of the wick type lamps are designed to burn. Works great in Aladdin lamps too, which put out far more light that a wick lamp.

The Aladdin is the equivalent of a 60-watt bulb if all is clean and the wick trimmed correctly. The mantles are delicate and not cheap, however.

Jet A(JP-4) is about the same thing as kerosene and works well. Number one heating oil will work, it’s about the same as number one diesel and that burns fine too.

I buy kerosene from my local bulk dealer for less than three dollars a gallon. Smells a little like kerosene. Then again it smells a little like a boat too!
Um_Saudade

um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 20:07   #34

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
um_saudade... That's about what the guy at the lamp store where I bought my replacement burners from said. "Just burn K-1.", he said. Heck, you can get that stuff for just a couple of buck a gallon at a lot of gas stations. I believe him, but was curious if there was something better. I suppose that when you get right down to it, I might not burn enough to, in the grand scheme of things, save more than $20 per year by buying the most expensive versus the cheapest. But I am wanting a pretty clean burn to prevent adding a layer of soot around. Again, maybe I am just being stupid about it. I'm still a n00b!
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 20:15   #35
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I have burned kerosene in coleman lanterns camping for years. The mineral spirits smell less and seem to make less soot.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil lamp