Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 14:42   #31

Re: Probably getting sick of posts like this, another noobie asking for help!

Quote: "British built to North Sea Specs;"

This is marketing fluff. Brokers' code for "doesn't sail worth a damn!".

Galley is trivial, heads is trivial, Cute to look at, alright, but I should think the market for these would be very very small, as the boat itself is. Therefor no residual value at disposal time. Aquisition cost, repair cost and moorage cost while you have 'er is, appropriately, what accountants call "sunk cost"

PNW and BC are both full of GOOD boats, big enuff for man and maid, that you can get for $30K. So when you find a thirty footer - the sweet spot - that you like (and one that can sail) pay15K for 'er and keep the remaining 15K for "upgrades". 15K is what an engine replacement costs for a boat this size.

TrentePIeds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 15:02   #32

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "British built to North Sea Specs;"

This is marketing fluff. Brokers' code for "doesn't sail worth a damn!".

Galley is trivial, heads is trivial, Cute to look at, alright, but I should think the market for these would be very very small, as the boat itself is. Therefor no residual value at disposal time. Aquisition cost, repair cost and moorage cost while you have 'er is, appropriately, what accountants call "sunk cost"

PNW and BC are both full of GOOD boats, big enuff for man and maid, that you can get for $30K. So when you find a thirty footer - the sweet spot - that you like (and one that can sail) pay15K for 'er and keep the remaining 15K for "upgrades". 15K is what an engine replacement costs for a boat this size.

TrentePIeds
Well!, I just thought it looked like fun... trivial accoutrements and all... to poke along the wooded coves and bays on a cool rainy day with a pot of coffee on the one burner...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 15:17   #33

Quite right, Don, looks like fun for these protected waters that are NOTHING like the North Sea - sez he, having grown up there, where rude Boreas comes storming down from the Denmark Strait howling like a thousand demented banshees :-)

But you can have even MORE fun in these protected waters in a PROPER boat that doesn't require 2,500RPM to get outta nifty little places like Jedediah Island's Codfish Cove. Say an ancient Columbia 29 ;-) Or even an equally ancient Columbia 26.

When I was young I looked at a young lady of a Gestalt much like the Potter: Very small; really, really cute - but couldn't keep house worth a damn. And the expense! Hardly commensurate with the pleasures promised :-).

TrentePieds
Old 26-09-2016, 15:32   #34

Quote:
When I was young I looked at a young lady of a Gestalt much like the Potter: Very small; really, really cute - but couldn't keep house worth a damn. And the expense! Hardly commensurate with the pleasures promised :-).

TrentePieds
Ahh, yes, you should have chosen the Columbia 29! Sleek, slender lines and tremendous pleasures beyond what the humble exterior suggests! And what a great house she keeps ... and what a cook too I might add... though we may need to mention the occasional tender and rocky temperament...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-09-2016, 15:48   #35

Quote: "...though we may need to mention the occasional tender and rocky temperament..."

...not the to mention the jollies you get from a hard thrash on a chilly winter's morn :-)

We both know that SA/D isn't everything - but 8.9??? That is WAY below the acceptable range. Even TrentePieds is 13.5, and you know I grumble about that. So yesterday morning I'm standing there by our slip and looking at that abortion of a mast-furling main with an eye that is, to put it mildly, jaundiced, and MyBeloved grabs me from behind and sez "You know - I'm always so happy when we are in the boat!"

She doesn't have a clue about boat design, but she sure knows what she likes — and that's the important thing. Keeping MyBeloved happy is what we have the boat for ;-0)!

TrentePieds
Old 26-09-2016, 16:57   #36

Quote:
Quote: "...though we may need to mention the occasional tender and rocky temperament..."

...not the to mention the jollies you get from a hard thrash on a chilly winter's morn :-)

We both know that SA/D isn't everything - but 8.9??? That is WAY below the acceptable range. Even TrentePieds is 13.5, and you know I grumble about that. So yesterday morning I'm standing there by our slip and looking at that abortion of a mast-furling main with an eye that is, to put it mildly, jaundiced, and MyBeloved grabs me from behind and sez "You know - I'm always so happy when we are in the boat!"

She doesn't have a clue about boat design, but she sure knows what she likes — and that's the important thing. Keeping MyBeloved happy is what we have the boat for ;-0)!

TrentePieds
Yep, happy wife...
BTW 8.9? my SA/D is 16.4, thank you!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-09-2016, 17:22   #37

Boat: Corbin 39

Boats tend to sell for a higher price in the Pacific Northwest first off. Secondly I agree you should look and look and then look some more before diving in. Traditional is nice, I personally love the Hans Christians but like someone else mentioned , they cost in up keep, lots of dollars and lots of work.
Personally I wouldn't buy something smaller first . If your working on a budget its hard to get your money back from a boat , any boat. Spending money on a Cal 29 first , might only cost you more in the long run, once you've moved up to a 34.
Don't be stuck on anything, not the type, style, or size for that matter . A Baba 32 might be perfect for you or so could a Cal 39 or a Hunter 37 .
Take your time, if you want to live on it then its also going to be a home. It needs proper heat, propane isn't great on the coast here for heat , its too wet, diesel or some type of furnace if your going to be at a dock, would be better. Being cold out here in the winter sucks. Make sure you have lots of head room you don't feel like your living in a cave when its dark for 4 months on the coast. Storage, you d be surprised if you live in a house how much extra stuff you have, you ll have a hard time pairing down for the boat so make sure it has a lot of room to spare for stuff you think you still need.

I could go on and on but I hope this helps.
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 18:58   #38

Quote: "...my SA/D is 16.4, thank you!"

And that would be justabout right for where you are, I would think, but remember that in the Salish Sea (Puget Sound, SanJuan Islands, Gulf Islands, Straits of Georgia), in the summertime, 7knts is a hard blow :-)!

TrentePieds
Old 26-09-2016, 19:57   #39

Boat: Westsail 32

Raise your numbers to 35k to 45k asking price, don't buy a boat you think will need engine replacement unless the price allows for the repower, buy the boat you will want later not one you'll try to sell and then buy what you really want, have patience, buy one that's in good or better than good condition, one that's ready to go or almost ready, you can tell when an owner cared about maintaining and upgrading there boat, unless you want to spend a lot of time and money, do not buy a project boat, get an extensive survey done, do your homework well, understand all the pros and cons of the particular boat your searching for, I bought mine through a broker, I couldn't be happier with the purchase, I got exactly what I've been looking for for some years now, she's in WA State, good luck
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 21:02   #40
Marine Service Provider

You just missed the Seattle-Lake Union Boat Show. Weather was fantastic unlike the "BIG Show" in January. Go north for moorage, Edmonds (half hour to downtown SEA (on a good day), Everett (largest marina in the NW, or further up to Bellingham.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote