Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 11:46   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Probably getting sick of posts like this, another noobie asking for help!

I would cull out anything that is not posted from someone in the PNW.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 11:55   #17

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Amen, to all above. But remember "There is nothing-absolutely nothing, half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Graham, The wind in the willows. or "Now voyager sail thou forth to seek and to find." Walt Whitman
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:40   #18

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I echo what HudsonForce and Teknishn said. Do not waste time on brightwork. I put new teak handrails on my boat, and was confidently assured I could put three coats of West System epoxy followed by three coats of urethane or varnish and it would last "for years". How I regret doing that. I'm in process of removing all varnish from all teak on my 1981 Pearson, and I will oil it from now on. If I want to look at beautiful varnished teak, I'll go below look at the handrails on the overhead, which are never exposed to sun.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 16:49   #19

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26

Thank you all for your input and warm welcome! I have to say I apparently have a taste for pain because I really like woodwork on the boats. I was actually going to ask, if anyone can suggest boats in that 20,000 dollar range ( as you guys suggest to leave some room in the budget for repairs and upgrades). That are fiberglass monohulls but have a look to the Hans or https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/5760305694.html , something along those lines. I know you guys are saying its a lot of work but how much , Im used to treating wood decks on shore at my place, so is it much different ? I wouldn't mind the deck being "worn" looking, as sometimes that can look really cool. That being said, I don't want actual damage to the wood or its strength. Is there any ALL fiberglass boats that look similar? I think the look of a boat is important to me, the lines need to look like a classic cutter, I haven't been able to find something with nice lines in ALL fiberglass, they seem rounded or bubbly. Also can you guys suggest a good source to look up the avg cost of say painting the boat or replacing sails? Maybe if I can swap out the color of the hull on some fiberglass boats I would be more open to the idea of getting them. I know I shouldn't get caught up in atheistics, but besides performance on the water, I need to love looking at my home lol and not thinking its a trash bin.

Also I found a 26 ft Thunderbird (1964) and a Rawson. I like the look and layout, but I know I could only live on something that size for a year, would it be hard to sell such small old boats?

Also you guys are right about hunting slips, its a pain and I only called like 6 places so far! Is there any sites that you guys can suggest that sell boats with moorage included ? It seems rare to find a boat that has both, which I find odd , as I've been looking primarily at liveaboards, you figure people have it parked somewhere currently. Im really trying to stay within the city limits , in lake washington, union, or right off the sound in Seattle. My preferred spot would be Shilshole Bay Marina, but I know there is already a wait list, but my friend is going to drive down there to see if anyone is subleasing. I will be on the Chicago lakefront next week so I'll check out some boats while Im there. The liveaboards are a little rare around here though, as the lake freezes over for a few months of the yr.
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 21:41   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

Terrific advise all round as usual on this forum. Only add for me "must haves" BEFORE PURCHASING in order.
1) Go over the boat with fine tooth comb including all sails, sheets, winch's, anchors, at least 3 times. It's amazing what you'll discover 3rd time round, 2) 3 - 4 hour sea trial under power and sail in moderate conditions if possible. She how she handles.
3) Get a reputable mechanic to go over the engine, gearbox, pressure test engine ect and absolutely give it the "smell test".
4) If your still keen then pay to have the boat slipped and get a full survey done. You don't want a boat full of osmosis or rot. It'll also enable the surveyor to shafts, seals, rudders, through hull fittings---sorry but the list goes on. This will be money well spent.
5) The most important rule of all > do not use the brokers people for any of this. I normally ask who they use then shop around for some one else.
Above all have fun looking and do look at lots & lots of boats before you buy. But be warned once you get bitten by the boat bug there's no going back!! They just get bigger and bigger.
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 22:56   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

Also make sure you can get insurance again BEFORE you purchase as most, if not all marinas wont let you in without it. Most insurance companies will want the survey report as well with any boat over 5 - 10 years old. And get a rigger to inspect and give a written report and quote as well. Some insurance companies wont cover the rigging if it's more then ten years old. Remember any and all repairs can significantly reduce the price but get written itemized quotes on everything. The old "about XX amount usually turns into XXXXX amount when you get the bill.
A lot of mucking around I know but take it from one who's been there, done that and been caught out it can save you a heck of a lot of $$$$ and heartache later.
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 23:55   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Agree with AussieCat above 2 posting only problem is if you know nothing about boats you will have no idea what you are looking at -- get a survey - have not seen that mentioned here - a good survey will uncover what the owner will not tell you or is trying hide and create real problems in the future - and they are not that expensive
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 03:10   #23

Lots of good advice above. FWIW I have found that a boat that has seen lots of use by the same owner over along period of time usually has all the necessary systems working. What does not work has been "removed" or improved on.
Clearly some things wear out. Engines, sails mainly. A hull, rigging and engine survey would be a good idea.
Often, long term owners have a soft spot for their vessels and will tell you everything. Tell them you would like them to be part of the owner transition process. i.e. you would like the previous owner to slowly introduce you to the vessel over a few trips and some maintenance.
Boats also have performance features under sail or motor and the previous owner would usually be keen to see you capitalise on and not abuse these features.
Often the complex reticulation systems and the degree of simplicity are a reflection of the technical competence of the owner and the personality. e.g. some folk think the paint work should always be perfect. Some think it should have lots of back-ups to the extent that the vessel nearly sinks.
Some may keep the boat afloat by throwing buckets of money at it.
Generally, the more work done by the owner, the more honest the work is.
Now just what has a broker to offer here? Remember that you may only ever deal with a broker once in lifetime. The brokers income is totally dependent on him getting you to buy a boat with the maximum return to him. Think about it and be very careful.
Ultimately the vessel and the lifestyle should bring you a sense of adventure, pride, pleasure and achievement. But this certainly does not always happen.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 16:25   #24

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

We are never sick to help out in any way we can. For most of us, boating is our passion!:smitte. We love to exchange ideas, experiences and future plans. Keep reading the forum and any other source you can. Every little bit helps. Have a nice day.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 18:04   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I am a confirmed sail boat person, but for what the OP's suggesting, might not a motor boat be a better option? more room as a live aboard, and solves the light airs problem.

Not all craig's list boats were created equal, and some of their disrepair is shocking. You're going to have to have some guideline types of questiions to ask owners.... One that comes to mind, is "How have you used this boat?" You'll have to take your chances relative to maintenance: I've never ever but once on CF heard someone admit a lack of routine maintenance....it was from a guy who had not changed the ATF in his boat's transmission the whole 20 yrs. he said he had the boat. Be warned, caveat emptor.

Good luck with your project.

Ann
Old 26-09-2016, 08:20   #26

Take lessons, learn, read, rent or lease several boats and go to boat shows. As I am sure you will. I used to be in the Everett Marina and at that time if you bought/leased a boat the slip went with it. I assume they still have a live aboard policy that is pretty flexible. I don't know if they have met their quota by now or not. Call 1-800-729-7678 for info. Everett is/was the largest marina on the West Coast with 2500-3000 boats most of which are for sale. Go look, some of them have not been out of their slips for so long they are growing to the bottom. Buying a boat may be the happiest day of your life. Selling it will be the second happiest day for sure.
Old 26-09-2016, 09:57   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Lots of good tips. Personally I'd take a look at this one too, roomy, capable and easy to sail. Builder has a good rep.
26 ft 1983 Nonsuch Classic Sailboat
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:10   #28

That looks like a nice clean boat, I bought mine with owner financing so don't be afraid to try that. I have known a couple Nonsuch boats and I think this 26fter may be in fact have more room than my 32fter. Take a look and Good luck!
Old 26-09-2016, 12:50   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Not sure if this is your cup of tea, but for chugging around the PNW I thought this boat looked liked a lot of fun too:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5785453959.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 14:41   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Not sure if this is your cup of tea, but for chugging around the PNW I thought this boat looked liked a lot of fun too:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5785453959.html
I wish it was on the east coast,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote