Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2010, 13:02   #46

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Chad---Amazing Amazing AMAZING!!! She is looking beautiful!

I've been lurking on the site awhile...getting much closer to make MY dreams come true. I've been so impressed that the majority of the people here are full of encouragement for the newbies. The wise words of caution are infused with enthusiasm and passion for cruising. I have learned so much from reading stories. You better keep us posted Chad!!

Incidently, I just read the OP to my daughter. And her reply?? "If anything's gonna happen...it's gonna happen out there!!!" My 16-year-old just quoted Captain Ron! I love it!
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 15:24   #47

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Sounds good Chad. I'm doing the same thing only starting at 60 yrs old with an 80# Bull dog. The boat a 40' Mariner ketch about 3/4 of the way thru a total refit. I should be ready to go after hurricane season next year. One advantage that I have is a good pension, health insurance and social security on the horizon. Also am fit and young for my years. Have you thoughts on how you're going to make ends meet? Starting this life at my age came naturally for me. I've been married several times and been around more than most. Already done everything I wanted to do on land and seen the whole country without finding a spot I'd like to stay in. When I get old and someone asks me what I did in my golden years, I don't want to say I sat on the porch petting my dog watching cars go by. I'd rather say I sailed around the world.
Old 18-12-2010, 12:42   #48

Finally ! 2 months behind a tentative schedule. Leaving Madeira Beach fl in the morning to keys and beyond . See ya on the Hook !
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 12:53   #49

Way to go, I'm about 3 months behind you, just wrapping up the last few bits of work, waiting to close on the boat, then hopefully by April down to the keys for a bit and then keep on going for a while. Hope to see you out there and that is really great you are making it happen!
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 19:40   #50

so I did it and made it out on the high seas ! well actually maybe five miles out . for about a week . then the 900 hour yanmar started smoking then a week on the hook in a god forsaken location that i was towed too all through xmas to find out a bad exhaust setup allowed seawater into the motor...double. Now I've been home for a week while I sell whatever remaining possessions I have to help pay for the 7k motor rebuild. cruising kitty decapitated after a week ! frick. I'm still going to carib. darn it. I have 100 gallons of fresh diesel and enough pasta and beans to go for 6 months on board. my sundowner cash is gone and in 5 days I will start my little adventure south with about 3k$ cash left. Wasn't there a thread about cruising on 500$ a month??? pretty sure I will have to prove that possible.
Old 07-01-2011, 19:56   #51

Same position, just three months behind, glad to see you're still going after it, see you in the islands!
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:28   #52

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
bad exhaust setup allowed seawater into the motor...double. Now I've been home for a week while I sell whatever remaining possessions I have to help pay for the 7k motor rebuild.
Damn, I just read an article about that today. Try this link: http://www.northern-lights.com/PDFs/...t_drown_me.pdf
Old 07-01-2011, 20:30   #53

Boat: Tartan 30
You asked for an adventure...

callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:36   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Damn, I just read an article about that today. Try this link: http://www.northern-lights.com/PDFs/...t_drown_me.pdf
exactly what happened.........no break and highest point was even with water line. The engine water to hot water heater had been bypassed before I purchased the boat and I believe when they did that ( water heater is above engine and water line) it was downhill from there. 7k$ oops
Old 07-01-2011, 21:23   #55

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I hate to ask, but is this the sort of thing a marine surveyor should pick up?

Chad, best wishes, and keep that dream alive buddy.

Cheers
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 22:00   #56
cruiser

are you motoring the whole way? where or how are you stowing your fuel? and are motors really that expensive? Cant you get it rebuilt?
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 22:05   #57

Boat: Tartan 30
If he's getting a brand new diesel and having it pro installed, 7k is a good deal... I'd recommend finding a used diesel and doing the install yourself, but hey...

I'd seriously consider the possibility of only needing a rebuild instead of a repower...maybe get a second opinion???
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 22:12   #58

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
$7K repair - thats virtually the $500/ month gone already.

good luck with repair cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 22:19   #59

No its a rebuild of the existing yanmar 3hmf diesel. Yea I think its a bit high but after calling around its close to the norm.Funny how a 3cyl engine costs 7 times as much as a popular american v-8 to rebuild but popularity counts for mass produced parts. I've installed a seperate 65 gallon tank below the mast on the deck.It allows me to filter the fuel before it goes into the main 35 gallon tank below when I have to refuel down south.and I still carry (2) 5 gallon Jerry cans as well in case an emergency fuel filter/line /pickup/hose issue and I need to run off a can
I did have it surveyed and checked out by a diesel mechanic,all came back good. Unfortunately unless you specifically ask for a compression check a mechanic will not pull injectors to check. I can understand that though. If a motor runs with no issues ,has good oil pressure etc why would they in a cursory inspection. The repower bid was 10k$ with a current year yanmar
Old 07-01-2011, 22:32   #60
cruiser

it really looks like you are paying a ton o money for that motor... I would have even considered just a used motor swap out... I have seen them from $1k-1500...

but, i know its easy to second / arm-chair from 4000 miles away.... Im just trying to read about others issues and how and why they do thing, so when i am floating out of control myself... hehehehe

please start a blog or something to document your travels... I can help you set it up...

about $10 a month for your own domain and hosting site, or you can a free one somewhere....

gl
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote