Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2010, 08:05   #16

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
Extra rope... Just make sure its not over the side.... maybe roll it up a little too.... keeps it out of the way a little.....

Best advice I can think of....... Enjoy every second of what will be an amazing adventure.....!
Keep a mask and snorkel along with a very sharp knife (fish filleting works the best, not that I'd know why) handy for when when some of that extra rope gets wound around your prop.

Have fun and be safe!

Good luck.
Old 17-09-2010, 08:11   #17

I suggest you read a book called Desperate Voyage. You should go but, things happen. B be prepared and think about backups and what ifs and how you will handle them. Bring along a Chapman's book and Nigal Calder's Electrical and Mechanical maintenace book. You do have tools on board don't you? Bring along charts even if you have a GPS chartplotter. Watch and learn about the weather. Enjoy the journey but, be prepared for when things go wrong. Because they will at some point in your trip.
Old 17-09-2010, 08:19   #18

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
The boat is usually better than the sailor. I will refer you to Bill Dietrichs blog and web site. He did as you are doing. Also I always add get to know the boat, every wire, through hull, switch etc. That is when the rubber meets the road (when things go bad at 2am in the morning).
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 08:58   #19

can't give you any advice as I'm a newb too, I'm a similar age and in a similar sort of position.

I do however admire your courage immensely. listen to the advice on here they have a wealth of good info and experience, nice folk too!

Just wanted to wish you luck in on your adventure Keep us updated if possible.

Fair winds
Lost

PS posts like yours just encourage me to do the same, must stop reading them!
Ugly boat! no such thing
Old 17-09-2010, 09:03   #20

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
Well I expected a harsher response for not being a versed sailor. Glad to hear the positive reassurance. Thanks everyone ! Now to figure out what to do with all this extra rope everywhere lol :-)
Just remember, Chad... lines are for boats, ropes are for sex! Good on you for making the move... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 09:08   #21

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
Ugly boat! no such thing
I respectfully disagree.

Old 17-09-2010, 09:39   #22

Go for it. As long as you pick your weather carefully, the sailing part is really quite easy. If you had crew, I would say skip the east coast of the Florida peninisula and head straight for the Dry Tortugas. But either way, you must PRACTICE ANCHORING before you go.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 15:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
I respectfully disagree.
Lol, granted that aint the prettiest of things by a long shot, I can only hope for winds high enough to tear off that er, tent/abomination. there's a pretty boat under there somewhere.

If it can navigate on water its not ugly to me

Mind you this is from someone that can appreciate the lines of an oil tanker
In the eye of the beholder and all.

Lost
Old 17-09-2010, 16:54   #24

Boat: Pearson 26
Quote:
Well I expected a harsher response for not being a versed sailor. Glad to hear the positive reassurance. Thanks everyone ! Now to figure out what to do with all this extra rope everywhere lol :-)
If you said you were going to head off to round The Horn, the responses would've been harsher. But there's nothing unrealistic about your stated "plan" - especially since you've also acknowledged you've got a lot to learn, and that the boats in your price range will need lots of work/preparation. Knowing your limitations and gradually expanding them is what it's all about. Good luck!
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 22:15   #25

well the survey came back on the coronado 35 . couple of blisters(5), but the rudder has to come off new bearing installed and column beefed up. bolted on iron keel needs new bolts but aside from that just general maintenance and prep. its going to be a busy month......
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 02:09   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
and column beefed up. bolted on iron keel needs new bolts ......
I'd get a quote or 2 and a second opinion. 'Beefed up'? and Keel bolts? That sounds like $5,000 job to me incl lift and drop.

I think the bolts themselves for a Beneteau are about $2,000. I don't know about your boat or if 'normal' bolts can be used. And fitting can be a pain... dropping the keel off is labor intensive with lifting equipemnt etc.... but hey, I don't know, but theres some folks on here who might be abetter able to advise

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 06:20   #27

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
I'm surprised no-one mentioned the most important thing before you set off is to set-up your website and get a pay-pal account
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 06:59   #28

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
The whole story sounds just too similar. Biggest difference for me is while the dog’s name is “Jack” he is really a Tenterfield Terrier, which is a genuine old Australian breed that is only part Jack Russel. Perfect boat dog! Funny thing is he enjoys getting out sailing and meeting all the other boat dogs as much as I enjoy meeting fellow cruisers. My advice is relax and have fun!
Old 26-09-2010, 07:51   #29

How Abby ( my jack ) takes to it not so sure yet .It took her about 2 months not to get car sick every time we went somewhere but now she rides with me everywhere all day everyday .A learning curve for her Im sure.
Keel bolts are rusty and chipping on top.moisture is wicking up from beneath. Not removing keel bolts actually. While the bottom job is being done the yard will grind open joint between keel and hull( at some point someone tried to blend it in with epoxy) let it dry out and reseal with epoxy during bottom job. Inside instead of wrestling with rusted nuts and bolts (6 of them ,2 bolts each in 3 seperate 3ft "c" channel spreading width of hull) Im going to leave them right where they are .Drill and tap the iron keel from inside and set 6 new bolts and 3 new c channel plates. Plenty of room and the surveyor thought it was a good idea as well. And in the end hopefully wont have every one of my knuckles bloody as if I tried to remove the old
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:50   #30

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
How Abby ( my jack ) takes to it not so sure yet .It took her about 2 months not to get car sick every time we went somewhere but now she rides with me everywhere all day everyday .A learning curve for her Im sure.
I got my “Jack” as a puppy while cruising and it was straight onboard the boat. He does get seasick when it is really rough and when the weather is average he tends to dig himself into a bunk and hide. He also gets this really anxious look and starts shivering when the weather is bad as if to say “what the hell do you think you are doing going out in this”. Maybe he is a good back-up to the barometer? Overall though, as above, he has a great time meeting the other small dogs that cruisers own and enjoys the travelling as much as me.

You can address any specific concerns on the Cruising with Pets forum.