Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 19:00   #106

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Pressure Cooker vs slow cooker without electricity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair A View Post
Hi All CF. I'm a stove top P'cooker type of guy and I appreciate this "tasty" message chain. Does anyone have their own version of a classic "Salt water bread" recipe? I also use my stove top PC as a "dutch oven". Usually salt water bread is 1/3 seawater and 2/3 fresh. Beyond this, any tasty baking ideas anyone? Cheers.
Check out the recipe for no knead bread on one of the last pages

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-113368.html
Old 01-03-2017, 20:16   #107
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-6-Quar...ressure+cooker

We love our pressure cooker and would use one on or off the boat.
It's just faster...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:43   #108

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Thanks again for the info, Weavis. After a quick review on the 'net, an IP-DUO60 is inbound from my friends at Amazon! Along with the extra glass lid.

Once it arrives here at our home and I get a feel for that size, I can decide what size will be best for the boat... assuming I can elegantly cram one into our galley storage somewhere. That could mean moving the 6-qt model to the boat and maybe replacing the home one with an 8-qt, or buying a 5-qt model for that... we'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I personally see no need to move from the 6 quart size for anyone except caterers. Ive cooked a 6lb whole chicken in it...

The IP-DUO-60 arrived eventually (after some unknown delivery issues) and we've used it once, so far. 2-lb corned beef brisket. All good. Almost no steam venting throughout the process.

Given these work at lower pressures than I'm used to, I added a few minutes to compensate, and my first guess worked out well enough. I would have normally used about 30 mins/lb, so I added 5 mins/lb for 70 mins overall... plus natural pressure release (until I got tired of waiting)... and consistency was exactly what I was shooting for.

The 6-qt model brings us a storage issue, even at home. The design/shape of the lid adds more (vertical) real estate requirements than is optimum for our cabinets, not unsolvable. One part of the solution is to store with the lid loose and upside down. We'll probably have to store the insert and the housing separately, too, although many wouldn't have that kind of problem.

The 5-qt model is 3/4" shorter, so storage for us would maybe have been very slightly easier with that model. The 5-qt model would likely be all we'd ever need anyway. I haven't taken this one down to the boat yet to assess storage possibilities, but I'll get around to that eventually.

Anyway, dimensions can be important. Had I more closely compared published dimensions to our available cabinets first, I still would have gone ahead with the order, but I may have chosen the 5-qt model to start.

Along with the initial order, I also included the optional glass/stainless lid... just in case I needed it for something. As it turns out... it's a 22cm size that exactly fits comparable Cuisinart Chef's Classic 22cm stainless cookware and vice versa... so we already had a glass lid that would fit the Instant Pot. OTOH, the IP glass lid is vented; dunno why yet, or whether that would be significant. In our case, the extra lid also added to some storage issues, solved but probably avoidable simply by not buying the lid. (Especially or at least until I knew a reason why I should want it.)

-Chris
Old 06-03-2017, 04:47   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-6-Quar...ressure+cooker

We love our pressure cooker and would use one on or off the boat.
It's just faster...

That's the most recent brand we had before, that finally failed after a bazillion years or so. The safety lock mechanism finally began having issues with unlocking after pressure release -- it wouldn't.

We certainly got our money's worth. My first impression after using the new Instant Pot is that the Presto was capable of slight faster cooking, likely due to being able to run it at higher pressures than the IP.

-Chris
Old 06-03-2017, 05:19   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
The IP-DUO-60 arrived eventually (after some unknown delivery issues) and we've used it once, so far. 2-lb corned beef brisket. All good. Almost no steam venting throughout the process.

Given these work at lower pressures than I'm used to, I added a few minutes to compensate, and my first guess worked out well enough. I would have normally used about 30 mins/lb, so I added 5 mins/lb for 70 mins overall... plus natural pressure release (until I got tired of waiting)... and consistency was exactly what I was shooting for.

The 6-qt model brings us a storage issue, even at home. The design/shape of the lid adds more (vertical) real estate requirements than is optimum for our cabinets, not unsolvable. One part of the solution is to store with the lid loose and upside down. We'll probably have to store the insert and the housing separately, too, although many wouldn't have that kind of problem.

The 5-qt model is 3/4" shorter, so storage for us would maybe have been very slightly easier with that model. The 5-qt model would likely be all we'd ever need anyway. I haven't taken this one down to the boat yet to assess storage possibilities, but I'll get around to that eventually.

Anyway, dimensions can be important. Had I more closely compared published dimensions to our available cabinets first, I still would have gone ahead with the order, but I may have chosen the 5-qt model to start.

Along with the initial order, I also included the optional glass/stainless lid... just in case I needed it for something. As it turns out... it's a 22cm size that exactly fits comparable Cuisinart Chef's Classic 22cm stainless cookware and vice versa... so we already had a glass lid that would fit the Instant Pot. OTOH, the IP glass lid is vented; dunno why yet, or whether that would be significant. In our case, the extra lid also added to some storage issues, solved but probably avoidable simply by not buying the lid. (Especially or at least until I knew a reason why I should want it.)

-Chris
#observations.
My Instant Pot probably works between 11-13 lbs pressure. Being electric and controlled heat rise, it takes a little longer to reach temperature. Im not sure if its pressure or the heat but I add a few minutes to a recipe that is written for a stovetop unit. Online you will find th IP community on facebook... invaluable.
I have cooked potatoes, pasta, soups, paella, biryani, chinese dishes, ribs, vegetables, eggs and a cheesecake. I failed only on the potatoes because I did not pierce them and it required 12 mins instead of 8... so I put them back in and problem solved.

I would recommend that you always store the lid separately and not placed on.. it allows the silicone seal to breathe and does not allow bacterial growth inside the pot. Putting the lid in a different place makes the IP easier to store onboard.

Im a fan... yoghurt is next on my list..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:43   #111

I am not sure if it is good for us to use the Instance pressure cooker due to the electricity usage on the boat.

Having used my pressure cooker for only 4 times, I decide to give up and will return it to the shop. I read the manual carefully and follow the instructions with the right amount of ingredient and water:

1. meat and water (about 1/3 of the container)
2. set the pressure cooking to 2 on the high heat hob
3. wait until the stream coming out for a while and the cooker is under pressure
4. change the hob to low heat

At this point, the stream continually comes out and irritated noise for the whole cooking process. I would expect that the stream should reduce after changing the hob to low heat. It should slowly stream off, and the stream is released again after I change the cooking setting to release position. Simple is that.

Unfortunately, my pressure cooker releases the stream for the whole cooking process which is not my expectation. I could manage to cook some nice food but can't stand the stream. I don't want to have the sauna in my galley for 30mins or more on the boat.

It turns out that it is the way how this product behaves based on the staff's advice in the shop. Very disappointed of this again. I don't think that other pressure cookers also behave like this, right?

Having looked at the Presto 6-qutar brand, it has many bad reviews. I don't think I would also go for the electric Instance Pressure cooker due to the electricity concern. Now I need to find another pressure cooker.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:51   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

eh?
Im thinking you are not talking about the Instant Pot. It doesnt work like this. Also the electric usage is minimal.

The IP will come to pressure with minor steam leakage as it forces the locking pin into place. Then there is no steam or noise. If you decide to let the pot do a natural release when done cooking, again there is no steam release. Its no sauna..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
I am not sure if it is good for us to use the Instance pressure cooker due to the electricity usage on the boat.

Having used my pressure cooker for only 4 times, I decide to give up and will return it to the shop. I read the manual carefully and follow the instructions with the right amount of ingredient and water:

3. wait until the stream coming out for a while and the cooker is under pressure

At this point, the stream continually comes out and irritated noise for the whole cooking process. I would expect that the stream should reduce after changing the hob to low heat. It should slowly stream off, and the stream is released again after I change the cooking setting to release position. Simple is that.

Unfortunately, my pressure cooker releases the stream for the whole cooking process which is not my expectation. I could manage to cook some nice food but can't stand the stream. I don't want to have the sauna in my galley for 30mins or more on the boat.

It turns out that it is the way how this product behaves based on the staff's advice in the shop. Very disappointed of this again. I don't think that other pressure cookers also behave like this, right?

Having looked at the Presto 6-qutar brand, it has many bad reviews. I don't think I would also go for the electric Instance Pressure cooker due to the electricity concern. Now I need to find another pressure cooker.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:16   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post

Our last one was a Presto; it only lasted for 20-25 years or so.

Can't speak to temp settings on your burner, but our approach would have been "full on" until pressure starts, and then full low -- only enough heat to maintain pressure -- once pressure has begun building.

If your pressure cooker has a rocker weight, I'd expect it to only gently move, just a bit, very little steam escape. If your steam issue is from the rocker, you've got the heat too high. Or maybe your burner won't turn down low enough.

If you steam issue is from anywhere else (lid rim, pressure valve/safety lock mechanism, etc.) then I'd more likely guess bad or malformed gaskets or o-rings.

This electric version we just got didn't seem to be ON (pulling electricity) all the time; seems like there's an internal thermostat that was turning the heating element on and off... so probably not all that bad for a boat if you've got a power source...

-Chris
Old 06-03-2017, 11:20   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
My Instant Pot probably works between 11-13 lbs pressure. Being electric and controlled heat rise, it takes a little longer to reach temperature. Im not sure if its pressure or the heat but I add a few minutes to a recipe that is written for a stovetop unit.

I would recommend that you always store the lid separately and not placed on.. it allows the silicone seal to breathe and does not allow bacterial growth inside the pot. Putting the lid in a different place makes the IP easier to store onboard.

FWIW, the IP site says high is 10.2-11.6 psi. Did seem to take a while to build pressure, but not an inordinate amount of time. Seemed to take a long time to do a natural pressure release (and I got tired of waiting, so flipped the release valve eventually) which maybe speaks to the quality of the seal.

Good point about just storing the lid separate; thanks for that.

-Chris
Old 06-03-2017, 11:31   #115

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

These electric pressure cookers are insulated so they will take longer to naturally depressurize then a stove top pressure cooker.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:52   #116

Tried rice in the IP last night. Turned out well, especially for our first attempt. Think it took about 30 mins overall: heat-up time (~10 minutes?), 8 mins (as it turned out) of pressure time, about 10 mins to release pressure. Didn't notice any steam release at all, during cooking.

Instruction about Rice being "fully automatic" -- but accompanied by some info about using the Manual function and different times -- was a bit confusing. OTOH, it did turn out to be pretty much fully automatic, no matter what all those various recipe variations said. Turn it on, when it's done, open up and eat.

FWIW, I suspect any decent electric pressure would work reasonably well. Those with maybe more programming (like the IP) may do more stuff semi-automatically, both maybe otherwise most are very similar.

Actual electrical consumption didn't seem like much. ~18 mins, counting heat-up and pressure time? And pressure time wouldn't have been constant heat, so not constant heavy-duty electricity. OTOH, that's me here at home, without a meter running on the circuit.

-Chris
Old 31-08-2017, 03:13   #117

We have been using a pressure cooker for over a year and everybody loves it!
This is the most used appliance on our boat. It's easy and quick to make meals. I can make breakfast, lunch and dinner in it.
Can make a beef stew in 15 minutes. Saves so much time and the food tastes great!
Alex74874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 03:19   #118

We have been using a pressure cooker for over a year and everybody loves it!
This is the most used appliance on our boat. It's easy and quick to make meals. I can make breakfast, lunch and dinner in it.
Can make a beef stew in 15 minutes. Saves so much time and the food tastes great!
Old 31-08-2017, 03:26   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Tried rice in the IP last night. Turned out well, especially for our first attempt. Think it took about 30 mins overall: heat-up time (~10 minutes?), 8 mins (as it turned out) of pressure time, about 10 mins to release pressure. Didn't notice any steam release at all, during cooking.

Instruction about Rice being "fully automatic" -- but accompanied by some info about using the Manual function and different times -- was a bit confusing. OTOH, it did turn out to be pretty much fully automatic, no matter what all those various recipe variations said. Turn it on, when it's done, open up and eat.

FWIW, I suspect any decent electric pressure would work reasonably well. Those with maybe more programming (like the IP) may do more stuff semi-automatically, both maybe otherwise most are very similar.

Actual electrical consumption didn't seem like much. ~18 mins, counting heat-up and pressure time? And pressure time wouldn't have been constant heat, so not constant heavy-duty electricity. OTOH, that's me here at home, without a meter running on the circuit.

-Chris
Basmati rice.

Wash well.

Leave IP on high pressure.

Put in IP same volume of water to same volume of rice. eg two cups rice, two cups of water. A splash of oil and salt. stir.

Lid on: MANUAL for 6 mins. Cook. release pressure... stir rice.. Done.
Old 31-08-2017, 03:42   #120
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Brown rice - no need to wash more than a quick rinse so save on water, 2 amounts water to 1 of rice.

10 minutes at pressure then let it release on its' own.

Tastier (imho) and healthier (not imho ) than white.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric