Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 12:55   #1

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Prescription meds how to get them

Any one have an answer to this?
Wife and I need prescriptions for blood pressure, cholesterol and such.
The most we can get is a three month supply.
If we are cruising in the Bahamas for example, 90 day supply is not enough.
The doctor has prescribed longer supplies but the pharmacy refuses to fill them stating federal law.
Ins co will only allow a 90 day fill at reduced price, what they call a vacation exception.
I'm interested in others experience and how you deal with it
Based in USA
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 13:04   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Prescription meds how to get them

I just went though this at the pharmacy after I had my doctor send them a scrip for 180 day for my blood pressure and cholesterol meds. Their excuse is that insurance wouldn't pay for more than a 90 day supply. But I don't use insurance and got them to fill the 180 day supply.

I also used GoodRX.com for coupons and got a 180 day supply for about $83

I bet with coupons and paying out of pocket the meds are probably less than a co-pay with insurance. You have to fight back aganist the system.

PS - I used Walgreen's as they were the best combined price and are a national chain to refill later.
Old 05-08-2016, 13:31   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

If you use a mail forwarding sevice you could use an automatic online service to ship to the forwader, who then sends it to you.
Game the system by have your doc write an extra month presription that you pay out of pocket and a 90 day prescription that is filled online. Start taking the 90 day right away
Hold your month in reserve.At the end of 90 days the presciption will refill automatically but you start taking the reserve month. When your new meds arrive from your forwader you are a month ahead and, by the time your second refill ships you will still have a whole month left of the last 90 days supply to take.
Im on my phone so im.not sure i wrote it out right.
Old 05-08-2016, 18:07   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Once we got the doc to give us1 year prescriptions we have not problems at the pharmacy using Costco, Walgreens and Walmart. Not paid by insurance.
Old 05-08-2016, 18:19   #5

Our Doctor is on St. Thomas, and we have been on Anguilla for the past year and a half. Getting prescription medications for blood pressure are not an issue for us. We simply take the empty bottle with refills available on it to a pharmacy and they fill it and I pay for it. Usually cheaper than St. Thomas or for the states too. I've done this on Providenciales, Curacao, Dominican Republic, St. Marteen, and I'm doing it on Anguilla now. Just because things are done a certain way in the US doesn't mean the rest of the world does it the same way. Pain pills and narcotic drugs are another matter though, but I do have a fairly well stocked pharmacy aboard. Bahamas should fill your scripts with no issues as long as you have a prescription with you. They can always call too, but I've not had that happen.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 18:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a military disability and use the VA. My prescriptions are mailed. I request refills online. I have a commercial mail box. When cruising the mail company collects my mail, and when notified of my location, box the mail, prescriptions included, and send it. I haven't had problems in the US or Canada.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 20:12   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Is working with a doctor in the area where you're cruising a problem? It may help to have a letter/documentation from your current US physician stating what you're taking, & why. Both to work with a local MD, as well as pharmacies where you are.
I know that this probably isn't new news, but it can't hurt. As I know that I certainly forget the obvious from time to time.

PS: Most MD's will give you a copy of your records if you ask. Or at most charge you a copying fee. Get them both on paper & digitally. And said records, of course, should help giving credence to your situation with anyone new. Knock on wood.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 20:29   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you have this problem in Australia ask your doctor to mark the prescription 'Regulation 24'. This allows the chemist to sell you the entire prescription, that is all the repeats, at once. Explaining to the doctor that you live on a boat and spend a lot of time in remote areas will usually do the trick.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:54   #9

You can also get your doctor to game the system by just writing double the daily dosage you need, so that three months lasts six months. My wife's doctor did this for us before out last cruise.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:16   #10

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
You can also get your doctor to game the system by just writing double the daily dosage you need, so that three months lasts six months. My wife's doctor did this for us before out last cruise.
My doc has done this a few times.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:43   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea2183 View Post
Any one have an answer to this?
Wife and I need prescriptions for blood pressure, cholesterol and such.
The most we can get is a three month supply.
If we are cruising in the Bahamas for example, 90 day supply is not enough.
The doctor has prescribed longer supplies but the pharmacy refuses to fill them stating federal law.
Ins co will only allow a 90 day fill at reduced price, what they call a vacation exception.
I'm interested in others experience and how you deal with it
Based in USA
Our US based medical insurance [not Obamacare...] encourages us to use the mail order pharmacy on the plan for [up to] 90 days worth of meds by only charging a very small co-pay. [I doubt it covers the postage...]

We have those prescriptions sent to our mail handling service [SBI] and they forward it on.

If you haven't already, you might ask your insurer which mail order pharmacies they 'support'...

Best wishes resolving this critical need.

Cheers! Bill
Old 06-08-2016, 08:45   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

If you are taking generic examples of the meds, see if they are part of the Walmart plan which allows you to buy a months worth for $4.00 per month. Get a script from your doc and buy outside of your insurance plan. You will find that generics at Walmart are cheaper than your insurance plan at CVS for example with a $10 or $20 dollar co pay. Google walmart prescriptions for a list of covered items .
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
If you use a mail forwarding sevice you could use an automatic online service to ship to the forwader, who then sends it to you.
Game the system by have your doc write an extra month presription that you pay out of pocket and a 90 day prescription that is filled online. Start taking the 90 day right away
Hold your month in reserve.At the end of 90 days the presciption will refill automatically but you start taking the reserve month. When your new meds arrive from your forwader you are a month ahead and, by the time your second refill ships you will still have a whole month left of the last 90 days supply to take.
Im on my phone so im.not sure i wrote it out right.
I like this approach. Also, Get a fresh written prescription from your doctor, once you get to the B'mas, check out just buying your prescription there. Might be dirt cheap.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I like this approach. Also, Get a fresh written prescription from your doctor, once you get to the B'mas, check out just buying your prescription there. Might be dirt cheap.
When we were in Nassau, we found that basically, you walk into the doctor's office and tell him what prescription you want, and he writes it for you. Maybe, we just found the one guy like that.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:20   #15

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

In many countries a prescripotion is not even needed for most drugs, narcotics excepted. I have often just walked into a pharmacy in Mexico and gotten whatever I needed. Much easier than trying to get them shipped in. Mexico customs sends prescription drugs back to the sender if they see them. Have even heard where a son was not allowed to bring in routine drugs for his father. No idea about Caribbean countries but my guess is that they are closer to Mexico on requirine prescriptions than to the US, US territories excepted, of course.
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote