Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2016, 12:49   #16

Boat: Alberg #0
Re: Prescription meds how to get them

Anyone have a good solution for people who need narcotic prescriptions while long term cruising internationally?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 08-08-2016, 04:47   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Anyone have a good solution for people who need narcotic prescriptions while long term cruising internationally?

"Normally" you can include some of these in the ship's medical kit, with a listing of what's in the kit. And log what was taken, why, & when. As in for injuries, illnesses, & emergencies. But for routine usage I'm uncertain. Though pursuing the question via sources which supply meds & kits for offshore vessels would likely yield some answers.
Also, in a good number of locales it's pretty easy to get MD's to assist you in making sure that the ship's med kit is up to date/full of Rx's. So I'd go that route. About which, there's some info in various medical kits threads on the forums. It wouldn't hurt to start a thread on it either.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:43   #18

Thanks. I'm currently on several meds that together could raise suspicions trying to get filled. I guess I should just leave port with all I need.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:26   #19

The concept of mailing prescription meds, or having them forwarded is brilliant... UNTIL it fails when you need it most. My understanding is that in the US, it is a problem: ( 453 Controlled Substances and Drugs | Postal Explorer ) Reading this carefuly they have some definitions:
Quote:
453.1 Definitions

453.11 Controlled Substances

A controlled substance is any anabolic steroid, narcotic, hallucinogenic, stimulant, or depressant drug identified in Schedules I through V of the Controlled Substances Act in 21 U.S.C. 801 and the implementing regulations in 21 CFR 1300.
Controlled substances include poisons, compositions containing poisons, poisonous drugs and medicines, or materials that may kill or injure within the intent and meaning of 18 U.S.C. 1716.
453.12 Drugs

The term “drug” refers to:
Prescription drugs which are licensed medicines that require a written order by a medical doctor or pharmacist before they can be obtained. Certain poisonous (toxic) drugs and medicines may be subject to the requirements for Division 6.1 materials in Chapter 3.
Over-the-counter drugs which are medicines that can be obtained without a prescription. This includes patent medicines and related items such as aspirin, antiseptics, cold remedies, diet pills, and cosmetic medicines that do not contain a controlled substance and are not poisonous drugs or medicines.
then they state:

Quote:
453.3 Mailability

453.31 Controlled Substances

If the distribution of a controlled substance is unlawful under 21 U.S.C. 801–971 or any implementing regulation in 21 CFR Chapter II, then the mailing of the substance is also unlawful under 18 U.S.C. 1716.
Controlled substances and drugs that contain controlled substances are acceptable in the domestic mail only under the following conditions:
For mailable controlled substances, generally both the mailer and addressee must meet either of the following conditions:
Be registered with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
Be exempted from DEA registration, such as military, civil defense, and law enforcement personnel, in performing official duties.
For mail-back programs conducted in accordance with 453.7.
For prescription medicines containing mailable narcotic drugs (controlled substances), when mailed by drug manufacturers or their registered agents, pharmacies, medical practitioners, or other authorized dispensers as permitted by 21 CFR 1307.12 or in compliance with any regulation of the Food and Drug Administration or other applicable law.
453.32 Drugs (Other Than Controlled Substances)

All prescription, nonprescription, and patent medicines and related items, including solicited and unsolicited samples of such items, that are not considered to be controlled substances under 453.11, are permitted to be mailed as follows:
For prescription medicines containing a nonnarcotic drug(s), only a pharmacist or medical practitioner, etc., who dispenses the medicine may mail such substances to the patients under their care.

For nonprescription medicines, the mailer must meet all applicable federal, state, or local laws that may apply (such as the Poison Prevention Packaging Act of 1970 in 15 U.S.C. 1471(2) and the Consumer Product Safety Commission requirements in 16 CFR 1700).
(my BOLD for highlight...)

While the changes of a problem are small, (as USPS can not get every violator, and Silk Road made a business of the low probability of interception...
One should be aware.

I believe that these laws duplicated in many ways internationally.... And... while a law is not always followed, it is good to be aware of the issues...

I am not trying to take sides... rather.. just help people understand what the 'legal' ramifications could be....

Best of Luck.
Old 08-08-2016, 15:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
The concept of mailing prescription meds, or having them forwarded is brilliant... UNTIL it fails when you need it most. My understanding is that in the US, it is a problem: ( 453 Controlled Substances and Drugs | Postal Explorer ) Reading this carefuly they have some definitions:

then they state:

(my BOLD for highlight...)

While the changes of a problem are small, (as USPS can not get every violator, and Silk Road made a business of the low probability of interception...
One should be aware.

I believe that these laws duplicated in many ways internationally.... And... while a law is not always followed, it is good to be aware of the issues...

I am not trying to take sides... rather.. just help people understand what the 'legal' ramifications could be....

Best of Luck.
Good point about Silk Road. Of course the dark net marketplace is bigger and more diverse than ever so your comment about detection risk is all the more relevant.

Having said that, I'll stick to my doctors and pharmacist :-)
Old 08-08-2016, 16:11   #21

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post

I’m curious about the pain meds also. Not sure about how much control the USPS has in other countries outside the U.S. Would be a bit more concerned with the country you’re visiting. I can’t find any good info on this subject either. My only idea would be to carry medical records and see doctors in U.S. Territories, but that too would be difficult outside the Caribbean ( USVI and Puerto Rico )
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 20:33   #22

and isn't there issues with bringing controlled substance medicine into countries? especially in long term quantities from a usa based doc / pharmacy?

Old 08-08-2016, 21:06   #23

Boat: Looking

It would suck going to prison because of pain meds. I'm sure all countries have different rules and regulations. It would take lots of research but in the end????
Old 21-08-2016, 01:44   #24

Boat: Ericson 36C, Cutter, Kasidah

Rum and exercise are great pain meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-08-2016, 04:18   #25
I promise to put my pants on

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasidah View Post