Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 15:37   #1

Boat: problems found before signing now looking at other sailboats
Potomac River Marina's and Such? any Ideas?

so my gf and i just got a 75 Irwin 10-4 and we are looking for a place to dock or anchor at the northern end of the river and have a place to park one vehicle as near as we can get so she doesnt have to drive to far to work to tysons corner,Va....so far Tantallon marina is looking good though we still need to contact and or stop by and talk to them...also heard of anchoring at belle haven marina area or docking and i like them because it in virginia (i know about the taxs and stuff i have my reasons for liking Va)...just thought i would ask and see what responses i got from some people who will likely know more than i
miller83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 18:06   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Potomac River Marina's and such? any ideas?

Check with Washington Marina, Buzzard Point Marina, and, if you are considering a long time tenure, the Capital Yacht Club. We are CYC members and think it's the best option but slips are limited to members on a seniority basis. Active Captain has good details on upper Potomac options.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 00:11   #3

My last boat was kept at James Creek marina. It's close to the metro, safe and very protected. I was paying $350/month in 2012. They say no liveaboards but they never really checked. I was on board for 5 days a week for about a year.
Aderby810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 12:58   #4

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

I currently live in Tantallon - It's not paradise but suits our needs. Read the lease carefully - very restrictive...and it is filling up fast since Gangplank is clearing out for commercial development. If you need to be a true live-aboard on the Patomac, you won't have many options other than Tantallon to be close to the DC Metro area save for a private arrangement with a dock-owner on the river. If you can live under the sneak-aboard condition then your options open up a bit more (at your own risk of being asked to leave) with earlier suggestions of National, Ft Washington and and James Creek Marinas. Parking is a problem at National; I have no personal experience with James Creek and Ft Washington Marina has plenty of parking but shuts the water off in the winter. I was invited to CYC but couldn't justify the initial $8K membership fee...plus, their "rules" say no live-aboards as do most of the marinas who lease their property from the government (a risky reality).

Hope this was helpful.

TMT2
SV TAKE ME THERE!
Gulfstar M53
Tampa FL
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 15:11   #5

Boat: Hobie 17 + Hobie AI... And Gemini 105MC

Make SURE that you consider ANY other options before even consider living at Tantallon! (Anchoring at Belle Haven wouldn't be too bad) I was there for a bit, and couldn't get out fast enough ;( I have never seen a marina that is so poorly run and combative with their tenants. You pay yacht club prices for trailer park living.

I'm still trying to figure out what the liveaboard fee supposedly covers, since there are no amenities (I second the advice to read the lease carefully, the one bathroom in "the bathhouse" is only for tenents that do not have facilities on their boat?!), and she (the evil witch that runs that place with her iron first) nickels and dimes you for EVERYTHING! (More like dimes and quarters you by the time you pay for all the surcharges and whatever she's charging for pumpouts and laundry at this point, you can live very nicely somewhere else...

Just make sure you take a GOOD look first. I moved in without having met the manager (Rhonda) or having looked closely enough at the lease ;( big mistake! Life has been great ever since I pulled out from there...

Good Luck!

-Bearcat
Old 28-08-2014, 17:02   #6

Agree with the above experience at tantallon. It really is trailer park living. The person who runs the marina is also sketchy. The amenities include a shower that Rhonda uses to store personal items like a mini bike and dirty cloths. The water is on year round, so there's that...
Aderby810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 08:35   #7

I went through all this a couple years ago. Ended up at Herrington Harbor South, on the bay. Much much nicer place, good sailing and easy living aboard. Commute to DC is 37 miles but was not terrible if done before 0630 in the morning.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, potomac