Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 11:08   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,379
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I've got a question for you Matt. Would it be considered rude to start your engine when a diver us working on a boat several boat lengths away? I did last week and got a disgruntled look from a diver on the next fairway when he got out of the water.
Several as in 1 or 2 or 5-10? If right next door I would probably not. If 10 slips away I don't see a problem. Of course that's just my opinion.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:18   #47
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I've got a question for you Matt. Would it be considered rude to start your engine when a diver us working on a boat several boat lengths away? I did last week and got a disgruntled look from a diver on the next fairway when he got out of the water.
Not rude, but definitely a PITA for the diver. But it comes with the territory. As a marina tenant, you can't be expected to make exceptions for every service provider within a 100-foot radius of your slip.
__________________

__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 13:46   #48
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I've got a question for you Matt. Would it be considered rude to start your engine when a diver us working on a boat several boat lengths away? I did last week and got a disgruntled look from a diver on the next fairway when he got out of the water.
Unless a diver puts up signs, most boaters aren't going to know a diver is working under a boat. And if the person starting the engine is already on the boat when the diver arrives he or she won't see the signs anyway.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 17:26   #49
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Unless a diver puts up signs, most boaters aren't going to know a diver is working under a boat. And if the person starting the engine is already on the boat when the diver arrives he or she won't see the signs anyway.
You'd have to be pretty oblivious to walk up to your boat and not notice a diver's gear on the dock or finger next the boat. And if you were already aboard, the diver should definitely let you know he's about to get into the water under your boat.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 17:43   #50
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You'd have to be pretty oblivious to walk up to your boat and not notice a diver's gear on the dock or finger next the boat. And if you were already aboard, the diver should definitely let you know he's about to get into the water under your boat.
1) The diver could be on another boat. That's what MarkSF asked about.

2) While I would notice this behind my boat and recognize what was going on, I guarantee that there are many folks who wouldn't pay it the least bit of attention.

3) Sometimes the divers at my marina don't leave any gear on the dock.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 17:47   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

The one thing that should absolutely have been done and I imagine no one did is ask for identification from the diver. And anyone who ever claims to be a government official or representative will be prepared to show id.

The other thing I would suggest for everyone is a waterproof GoPro Camera or equivalent. Have it attached to something long enough to allow you to check under your boat. It will come in handy in many situations and save you having to dive to check your prop or anything else. Plus it will allow you to see if you suspect someone under the boat.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 18:33   #52
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...................... The other thing I would suggest for everyone is a waterproof GoPro Camera or equivalent. Have it attached to something long enough to allow you to check under your boat. It will come in handy in many situations and save you having to dive to check your prop or anything else. Plus it will allow you to see if you suspect someone under the boat.
In warm weather, the camera wouldn't see two feet in the water at my marina.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 18:45   #53
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

I have a feeling someone sent TS for a can of prop wash, so to speak. I once sent a guy for a can of engine compression followed by a call to the parts dept. to let them know what to expect. The guy took an unexpected tour of the city. Was a long time ago in a land far away but I have a feeling that is what is going on.
__________________
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 19:47   #54
Registered User
 
CaptNemoO2's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Long Island
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Posts: 112
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I have a feeling someone sent TS for a can of prop wash, so to speak. I once sent a guy for a can of engine compression followed by a call to the parts dept. to let them know what to expect. The guy took an unexpected tour of the city. Was a long time ago in a land far away but I have a feeling that is what is going on.

My friend once sent one of his student employees to Home Depot to get a wirelesss extension cord. Being Home Depot, they were searching all over the store for it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 20:59   #55
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

When I worked at a large engineering works in the UK, they used to send newcomers to the warehouse, to fetch a long stand.
__________________
Bristol 31.1, SF Bay.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 21:55   #56
Registered User
 
Andy73's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 229
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I have a feeling someone sent TS for a can of prop wash, so to speak. I once sent a guy for a can of engine compression followed by a call to the parts dept. to let them know what to expect. The guy took an unexpected tour of the city. Was a long time ago in a land far away but I have a feeling that is what is going on.
Ahh the good old days...
"Ensign... would you go to Maint and get a spool of flight line for me?"

"Excuse me Sir, we need you to fill out you Id-10-T form..."
__________________
When you swim in the sea...
And an eel bites your knee...
... That's a morayyyyy
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:15   #57
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
Ahh the good old days...
"Ensign... would you go to Maint and get a spool of flight line for me?"

"Excuse me Sir, we need you to fill out you Id-10-T form..."
I'm a fan of sending someone to the parts store for General Bearing grease. Always worth a chuckle.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 14:39   #58
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,051
Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

You can now buy both prop wash, and flight line. Don't think the left handed screwdriver is available yet, perhaps this Summer?


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 16:06   #59
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,454
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can now buy both prop wash, and flight line. Don't think the left handed screwdriver is available yet, perhaps this Summer?


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The guys at the hardware store couldn't find a metric crescent wrench when I asked for one, and I have lots of metric fasteners on board. What should I do?

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 19:43   #60
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: Port divers inspecting thru hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The guys at the hardware store couldn't find a metric crescent wrench when I asked for one, and I have lots of metric fasteners on board. What should I do?



Jim

I ended up giving one of my sailors the rest of the day off because he did find the metric crescent wrench. On the handle one side said 8" the other said 20cm.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hull, thru hull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PDF version of Dan Casey's "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" keylime Monohull Sailboats 8 05-02-2014 17:33
Inspecting Catamaran Chain Plates Sonosailor Multihull Sailboats 0 14-03-2013 11:30
Thru-Hulls in Cored Hulls ggray Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 22-12-2009 09:07
Getting rid of thru-hulls (in GRP) Weyalan Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 05-07-2006 23:42
Thru-Hulls markpj23 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 9 13-02-2006 21:35



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.