Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-11-2017, 06:16   #1

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26
PNW , looking for a yard/slip

I might finally be in the Seattle area, will find out next week for sure if its happening, but would love to live aboard outside but near Seattle* where job will be. Any suggestion on somewhere I could store the boat on the hard ( its a 30ft and on a trailer). I still need to do some painting and electrical work on her before she is ready to splash.

Is this even possible in the PNW ? Option 2 is get an small apartment, until I can scout out a nice location before moving her into the area. Some criteria, allows for DIY boat repair, costs somewhere in the area of 500 a month or less, and is only 1 hr to 1hr30min commute from Island Harbor area.

Old 22-11-2017, 20:25   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Re: PNW , looking for a yard/slip

Live aboard in Seattle is tough. Most will have long wait lists for slips. We went into Semiahmoo Marina in Blaine right away though. It could be a serious commute for you though. FWIW, we really liked the marina, except the floating breakwater.

Old 22-11-2017, 20:55   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

South Park Marina was where I left my boat while I worked on her for 2 1/2 years. They were very accommodating and helpful when I needed some advice and even tools. Some people were living on their boats while they "worked" on them, but I left after 3 years and they were still there. Biggest issue will be the airplanes that fly over head all day long, till about midnight- it's in line with one of Seatac's runways. And it's REALLY close to Harbor Island
Old 22-11-2017, 21:19   #4
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind459 View Post
I might finally be in the Seattle area, will find out next week for sure if its happening, but would love to live aboard outside but near Seattle* where job will be. Any suggestion on somewhere I could store the boat on the hard ( its a 30ft and on a trailer). I still need to do some painting and electrical work on her before she is ready to splash.

Is this even possible in the PNW ? Option 2 is get an small apartment, until I can scout out a nice location before moving her into the area. Some criteria, allows for DIY boat repair, costs somewhere in the area of 500 a month or less, and is only 1 hr to 1hr30min commute from Island Harbor area.
you could check with harbor island marine they are / were rather lax concerning liveaboards
Harbor Island Marina
Old 22-11-2017, 23:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Some people live aboard across the sound, but then you have a ferry commute. I did from Kitsap many years ago. You'll find yachting in Seattle expensive, but most yards that allow DIY work will rent space if they have it.
Old 23-11-2017, 10:02   #6

Really suggest that you look S about 30 ml.
To Tacoma area. Good liveaboard and dry storage opportunities at much more reasonable rates. The commute is REASONABLE for this area. 😩 keep in mind
That there is really no decent commute in the Seattle area!
You might also consider the moorage at Fisherman’s Terminal in Ballard. Mostly
Commercial, but they were allowing limited
Non-commercial.
Old 23-11-2017, 10:21   #7

Try Port of Edmonds for dry storage/DIY repairs and get on a waitlist for liveaboard on the water.
Old 23-11-2017, 10:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

We're moored at Harbor Island Marina – there are definitely open slips here, the question really is wether or not the Port of Seattle (which manages this marina Bell Harbor and Shilshole) knows that the slips are open. It's not really well managed. They'll insist that there are no slips for 6 months, until they finally give you the slip that you've seen empty for the last year ... I digress.

Southpark Marina, is super close. and they're the only place I can think of in the 'hood that allows you to live aboard while you work on your boat. It's a bit of a sad sight sometimes, lots of broken dreams, but I certainly know folks that have actually gotten their boat done & out.

Going south or west is probably your best bet after that. Tacoma does have some delightfully charming marinas/yards. It can be a hike on occasion when traffic s**ts the bed, but it happens less than the news makes it out to. Plenty across the Sound, but then ferry rides add up quick.
Old 23-11-2017, 11:02   #9

Boat: Mariner Ketch 32- 1979- hull 202

Dragmars Marina, just on the North end of Everett.
On the hard, no visible liveaboards, however, you'll be able to work and sleep aboard your boat.
They also will accommodate a motorhome for a fee.
Right on I-5, it is on the Snohomish River, and has two bridges that open to allow vessel traffic to enter the Puget Sound.
No bottom work, without approval.

(425) 259-6124
1870 Ross Avenue,
Everett, WA 98201

Good luck friend!
Boatyard dog.
Old 23-11-2017, 11:04   #10
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanyon View Post
We're moored at Harbor Island Marina – there are definitely open slips here, the question really is wether or not the Port of Seattle (which manages this marina Bell Harbor and Shilshole) knows that the slips are open. It's not really well managed. They'll insist that there are no slips for 6 months, until they finally give you the slip that you've seen empty for the last year ... I digress.

Southpark Marina, is super close. and they're the only place I can think of in the 'hood that allows you to live aboard while you work on your boat. It's a bit of a sad sight sometimes, lots of broken dreams, but I certainly know folks that have actually gotten their boat done & out.

Going south or west is probably your best bet after that. Tacoma does have some delightfully charming marinas/yards. It can be a hike on occasion when traffic s**ts the bed, but it happens less than the news makes it out to. Plenty across the Sound, but then ferry rides add up quick.
not to bad actually on ferry fees.
Monthly walk on pass is 108 for the Seattle Bremerton run. And with the price difference between marinas on either side it's basically a wash once the boat is done.
Old 23-11-2017, 14:04   #11

Check out Swantown Marina in Olympia, WA. We liveaboard in the summer and love it.
Old 23-11-2017, 14:12   #12
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyFoster View Post
Check out Swantown Marina in Olympia, WA. We liveaboard in the summer and love it.
tony while the marinas in oly are great it would be a b****h commute to Seattle even with using the sounder train from Lakewood to Seattle.
On another front I just remembers that one of my boats is in foss harbor marina in Tacoma.
Soon they are planning a fast ferry from there to downtown Seattle. ( they are shooting for mid 2018 to be up and running daily) .
Old 23-11-2017, 14:16   #13
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a weird one but could be a good option. The ferry from point defiance in Tacoma to cash in island . There is a city bus that goes from the island side to the other end of the island and on the ferry to Seattle. A bit cheaper way to commute to harbor island ( may be longer time wise but cheap )
Old 23-11-2017, 14:38   #14

I don't disagree about the commute, but the matina is great for liveabord. Plus the boatworks allows DIY.
Old 23-11-2017, 14:53   #15
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here is a weird one but could be a good option. The ferry from point defiance in Tacoma to cash in island . There is a city bus that goes from the island side to the other end of the island and on the ferry to Seattle. A bit cheaper way to commute to harbor island ( may be longer time wise but cheap )
supposed to be vashon island ( darn autocorrect)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: