Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 10:13   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
PNW Boat: Heat, dehumidifier or both?

I've researched this topic via the forum and I'm a bit confused. Here is the scenario. My boat has 4 dorade vents that I leave unblocked and each facing a different direction to ensure at least one is catching the wind. The doors to the cabin are louvered and allow air in especially when the wind is aft. My boat in general is pretty dry.

I'm going to be leaving it shutup for a few weeks. Should I
> run a dehumidifier
> run a heater
> run both?
> block any/all of the air entry points?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 11:06   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: PNW Boat: Heat, dehumidifier or both?

If you're certain you will not freeze up in the time you are gone, leave it all off and dorades pointed in opposite directions, one set into the prevailing wind and one away. Throw some desiccants (driZair or similar) in the lockers, open up everything and turn all cushions up and get air flow around everything. There is no point in heating as this will make the humidity worse, and you'll be attempting to dehumidify the PNW running a dehumidifier.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:03   #3

Boat: Corbin 39

I would leave my dorades pointing north open be careful leaving any open to a SE wind as that’s where the rain comes from. I leave a heater on low and my north facing vents open for airflow . I leave the heat on ver low
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:05   #4

Boat: Catalina 36

I run both in Everett, I close down the vents quite a bit so I don’t have as big a heating bill.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:32   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
If you're certain you will not freeze up in the time you are gone, leave it all off and dorades pointed in opposite directions, one set into the prevailing wind and one away. Throw some desiccants (driZair or similar) in the lockers, open up everything and turn all cushions up and get air flow around everything. There is no point in heating as this will make the humidity worse, and you'll be attempting to dehumidify the PNW running a dehumidifier.

You realize, of course, that opening vents and using desiccant is like hiring a hit man to take you out and then hiring security. Perhaps the implication is that the lockers are closed (not what you said), but it won't matter.

BTW, airflow can actually make it worse if the surface temp of the hull is below the dew point (boat in cold water). Ever watch the condensate pour off ice water?

Chose one. Ventilation or desiccant/dehumidifiers. I've done both, and there is no middle ground. If you have a dehumidifier, you close EVERYTHING all the way. This is obvious. With heat you can ventilate to a small extent.
Old 21-10-2019, 09:07   #6

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

My boat is in Olympia. Heat with an oil type on low along with a small fan.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 09:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I've researched this topic via the forum and I'm a bit confused. Here is the scenario. My boat has 4 dorade vents that I leave unblocked and each facing a different direction to ensure at least one is catching the wind. The doors to the cabin are louvered and allow air in especially when the wind is aft. My boat in general is pretty dry.

I'm going to be leaving it shutup for a few weeks. Should I
> run a dehumidifier
> run a heater
> run both?
> block any/all of the air entry points?
NO

Yes on low, If freezing is a possibility make sure the engine area has a light bulb or heat of some minimal amount. I like those Davis driers. They dont take more than a 100 watt bulb and work even if wet. Keep things from freezing and dry things out too. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/davi...gaAtd_EALw_wcB

NO

NO leave some air flow, but you don't need everything open.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 09:35   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

+1 to Thinwater's post.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 11:07   #9
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You realize, of course, that opening vents and using desiccant is like hiring a hit man to take you out and then hiring security. Perhaps the implication is that the lockers are closed (not what you said), but it won't matter.

BTW, airflow can actually make it worse if the surface temp of the hull is below the dew point (boat in cold water). Ever watch the condensate pour off ice water?

Chose one. Ventilation or desiccant/dehumidifiers. I've done both, and there is no middle ground. If you have a dehumidifier, you close EVERYTHING all the way. This is obvious. With heat you can ventilate to a small extent.
Lockers closed the dedicates help keep them from condensating and contents dry or open the entirely without. The only time air flow and the above mentioned conditions would be met is the extremes of spring where the daily air temp is higher than the interior of the boat/hull/water; condensate on a glass of ice water does not happen in cooler air temps as the surface is not within the dew point, and is not condensing the moisture out of the warm air. If running a dehumidifier definitely close it up. Biggest point is you need warm moist air and a cool surface to really create condensation. I personally like to stuff some form of lose filter in my dorades (pair of wool socks) when heating to reduce heat loss while allowing ventilation. Not sure how other dorades are constructed but our don’t allow water in even in serious wind driven rain.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat