Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 05:48   #1

Boat: Cachito 39
plexiglass buble just like Joshua

Hello CF,

I don't think i am in the right category of the forum to ask this question but I couldn't find which one would be the right one so I came back to my favorite category. But I am happy to move the thread to somewhere better if someone could tell me where.

I am looking for a plexiglas bubble to fix on the deck of Netzah, our boat. Just like Joshua of the good old Moitessier had. Do you have any idea where I could find this?

wave of thanks in advance.

Claudia
terradagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28
Re: plexiglass buble just like Joshua

Check out an outfit called Cleardome. I think they are in Maine.
They do "custom" domes in acrylic and Lexan.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:18   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

These plexiglass bubbles were often used on multihulls, "back in the day" when we all had to build our own boat to get one. This bubble was on my previous SeaClipper 28, 23 years ago... It was from Curd Enterprises in Charlston SC. (Don't know if they still exist)

The side wall and flange thickness was only 1/4", thinner on top. For this reason, and for shade, I made a "cap" for mine, out of flexible polypropylene fabric and epoxy. (Glass on the bias would work too.) I stretched Saran Wrap over the bubble first, and used it as a mold. Then sanded out the stuck Saran Wrap, from inside the cap, and glued it into place with clear silicone. After this, you could stand or fall on it without worry.

I used to stand watch from inside this 32" bubble. It was a hoot! If you use ArmorAll on it, it fills scratches, turns more clear, and repels rain.

I may do it again on our Delphys, (But smaller). I have seen them available by Googling plastic "bubbles", "observation domes", or "hemispheres"... They are often used to hide the TV cameras on the ceiling in WalMart, etc. There was never a "marine" version, except very small, in Lexan, 30 years + ago...

Go for it!
M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011_11_00.JPG
Views:	2712
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	38508  
Old 09-03-2012, 06:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree

Hi Claudia,

The bubble hatches are made by Goiot in France. As far as I know, they are the only suppliers who have ever made such a hatch. Here is a link:

Goïot, hatch, portlight, steering gear, windlass, furler

When I tried this link, the correct page came up showing 3 sizes of bubble hatches under their "special hatches" section, including part numbers, but their images did not load. However, you can contact Goiot directly through their website and they will likely send you information on their bubble hatches.

Good luck,

Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:27   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

??

Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 04:50   #6

Boat: Cachito 39

recklamcidunyasi, do you mean you have one you would sell? if yes, what is the size?thanks
terradagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 18:19   #7

Boat: Alberg 30

Thinking outside the marine box for a moment: we used something almost exactly like that on vacumn tables for making molds for casting gold and silver. more heavily built than 1/4", available in many sizes and tough. Perhaps look to industrial vacuum table equipment for a larger one?
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 18:58   #8

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

As in the photo above on my previous boat. You make your own. You can get the bubble from a dozen places on the Web, then mount them on a self built hatch, or on a factory hatch that you cut a hole in. Its easy!

The bubbles come in many tints & sizes. If Plexi, & you keep armorall on it, it turns scratches clear again, and rain just sheets off. They're great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	011_11_00.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	41258  
Old 20-05-2012, 04:52   #9

Boat: '72 Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson
As in the photo above on my previous boat. You make your own. You can get the bubble from a dozen places on the Web, then mount them on a self built hatch, or on a factory hatch that you cut a hole in. Its easy!

The bubbles come in many tints & sizes. If Plexi, & you keep armorall on it, it turns scratches clear again, and rain just sheets off. They're great.
We have a bubble on our Westsail 32. It was built in France in the 70's. It is awesome for poor weather conditions and gives you 360degrees of visibility. For being 40 years old, it is in remarkable condition. Not sure of the thickness but it's serious.
Fenchurch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 04:59   #10

Boat: '72 Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenchurch9

We have a bubble on our Westsail 32. It was built in France in the 70's. It is awesome for poor weather conditions and gives you 360degrees of visibility. For being 40 years old, it is in remarkable condition. Not sure of the thickness but it's serious.

Name:	image-998830801.jpg
Views:	8714
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	41268

Here's a photo of our bubble on Maka Le'a. . As you can see its more than 1/2 of a sphere.
Fenchurch9 is offline   Reply With Quote