Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-04-2013, 09:13   #46

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731
Re: Planning Ahead

Thanks for the information, and yea I guess I can see a raging debate about cats and mono starting especially in this forum but I felt it was necessary for the OP to be informed. Sorry ill be sure to tread lightly in the future.

Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 09:20   #47

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Like many here, we have a plan. I think the key is to make a plan and even set a date. Then add lots of things in between to achieve that date. We've got about 3.5-4 years until we reach our cast off date and are working on various steps we need to achieve to meet that. Having a goal and milestones to reach that goal makes it easier. Just setting a date with no steps to get to that date probably won't work for most and will just remain a dream.

Old 26-04-2013, 11:09   #48

Hi Maytrix. I have a tentative date set as the summer of 2023 (although now that I identify as a date it seems so much father away). At that point, I'm hoping to take the big step of selling my house and buying my boat to live aboard locally (I'll still have about 10 years before retirement.) You are significantly closer to your dream than I am. What steps have you taken so far?
Old 26-04-2013, 11:20   #49

We bought a boat in charter 2 years ago and upgraded to a different one a year ago - one that (if we don't come into money ) we will be very happy cruising on. We also charter 3 times a year to gain added experience and bought a 22' boat we can use at home in the summer - not only to gain practical added sailing experience but I'm re-working some of the electrical..etc which is all good experience.

So we're just moving along doing things that will help us achieve our goal and put us in a position to be ready when the time comes. The key point in our timeframe is our boat leaving charter - that is when we will take possession of it and bring it back home and get things ready to go.

We still have plenty to figure out, but continue to work towards our goal. What we are unsure of is if we will be able to retire completely (most likely not) have a business of our own we can work on from the boat in any location (most likely) or have to work and live on the boat (a possibility we are ok with - probably would pick the USVI and wouldn't need much as we would be setting off debt free).
Old 26-04-2013, 12:17   #50
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore0072 View Post
Hi Maytrix. I have a tentative date set as the summer of 2023 (although now that I identify as a date it seems so much father away). At that point, I'm hoping to take the big step of selling my house and buying my boat to live aboard locally (I'll still have about 10 years before retirement.) You are significantly closer to your dream than I am. What steps have you taken so far?

Eeyore, you are WAY ahead of yourself wondering what boat to buy.

I'm telling you -- FIND A SAILING CLUB. Then start pitching in. We have a big event tomorrow, and for the last two weeks, people have been swarming the club. We painted the front porch, so someone had to come over with a caulking gun and fill in little holes all over the place to help prepare it for painting. There was so much that could be done.

In the process you get to know people, and you start asking questions, and the next thing you know, folks are saying, "Well, we're going out Thursday after work. Why don't you come along?"

SAIL ON AS MANY BOATS AS YOU CAN. Don't choose a boat before you've learned to sail.

This place is GREAT -- fantastic -- but you're not ready to be talking about the boat you want. You need to get your carcass on as many boats, of as many types and sizes, as you can.

My strong opinion is to learn to sail on a smaller boat -- not something like a Sunfish, they're too unforgiving, but a 16' - 18' up to maybe 21' boat. Something that responds immediately and does whatever you tell it to do, no matter how wrong-headed it is.

I think you would get a lot more out of a couple of 2-day classes than a week long session, ESPECIALLY if there are other students on board. The more students there are, the more talk and less actuall sailing you will get.

Take the 5 day class -- but get a few basics down first. It takes a while to absorb the language and vocabulary and to get the basics down -- tacking is actually fairly complicated, something you forget when you've done it for years, but are very aware of at the beginning.

That's my opinion. Stick around, and listen, but it won't do you much good unless you get out on the water, and I would suggest learning some basics *before* that five-day trip.
Old 26-04-2013, 12:44   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
................My strong opinion is to learn to sail on a smaller boat -- ...... Something that responds immediately and does whatever you tell it to do, no matter how wrong-headed it is.............
I like this idea,- nothing teaches faster than a quick response to what you do!
Old 26-04-2013, 13:15   #52
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I like this idea,- nothing teaches faster than a quick response to what you do!

yeah, but I draw the line at any boat that throws you in the water over it. That's just MEAN.
Old 26-04-2013, 13:21   #53

I know I'm way ahead of myself by considering boat types, but that's where the dream starts. I absolutely will get out on the water before I make any real decisions about boats.
Old 26-04-2013, 14:19   #54

Quote:
I know I'm way ahead of myself by considering boat types, but that's where the dream starts. I absolutely will get out on the water before I make any real decisions about boats.
Try a week long charter too - just to see what it is like living on a boat in (usually) ideal conditions.
Old 26-04-2013, 16:03   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:

'thinking back to the sixties, when I was planning, I did always have a focus on a "dream boat" with a photo from a brochure or magazine on my wall all through high school and college. It did give me focus and I was able to shift my sights to what was suitable for my need and my pocketbook when the time arrived. My first liveaboard boat was great, but it had never been on my list. There's no problem with setting goals with a specific boat as long as you remain free to adapt your plan as you gain knowledge and the goal puts you out shopping.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: