Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2013, 19:10   #31

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731
Re: Planning ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore0072 View Post
It's not a matter of asking my kids what they want. I'm sure they would love the idea of life on a boat. It their mother that's the problem. Unfortunately that's not a court battle I'm likely to win. It's the shared custody agreement that's keeping us in the same municipality at the moment.
Please don't mistake want I was ranting about. I never ment your kids just average kids in America and in general. I totally understand your situation. I guess I get bitter about the way the country is heading and I feel it can change but only with the children.

Sailing is wonderful and I hope your dream stays alive the decade ahead.
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 19:23   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ive got to vote with Abrain on this one ! we raised our kid's on our boat ! really never asked them what they thought about the Idea ! They are kid's not adults, and it's the parents job to raise them with as good of ideals and education as they can ! Not ask them what they want to do ! all 4 of ours turned out well, are well educated, and contribute to the world in each of there endevers! I think any parents who let there kid's tell them how to live, are raiseing kid's who will try to tell everybody how to live !! We did let them pick there own board games LOL We have asked them since they became adults what they thought about there life aboard, all there answers were that they would not trade there memorys of cruiseing, or the places and cultures they saw over the years we were all together ! so for us at least, takeing our kids cruiseing worked for us !! All 4 kids still sail when they can both with us or on others boats! just our 2 cents

This whole "He was gonna ask his kids for permission" was ... imagined by others, not the OP.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 19:24   #33
cruiser

Quote:
It's not a matter of asking my kids what they want. I'm sure they would love the idea of life on a boat. It their mother that's the problem. Unfortunately that's not a court battle I'm likely to win. It's the shared custody agreement that's keeping us in the same municipality at the moment.

Of course. It's one thing to trash a generation in general, but quite another to get specific about a specific person's children.
Old 23-04-2013, 19:31   #34

Boat: hunter 376

We're six years away from the "plan." We hope to trade up our Hunter 31 for something bigger and better, rent our downtown Vancouver condo out, retire from the business we co-own, (or sell it) then use the $$$ from the condo rent to finance a cruising lifestyle.
About the same time I will get a small govt pension at age 60, so we could cruise with a decent and reliable income. A lot of things have to go our way for any of this to happen, but damn, the last six years went by in a flash.
Good luck in your 10 year plan, but, as some others have posted, don't wait to long, you can start sailing right away, and involve the kids in a great family activity. Look into sailing Co-ops for a low cost way to get involved in sailing and cruising.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 19:31   #35

I'm sure when my plan does come to fruition, that my kids will be more than happy to join me on cruises (with their children). We've always been a close family and enjoy sharing such experiences.
Eeyore0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 19:33   #36
cruiser

Quote:
I'm sure when my plan does come to fruition, that my kids will be more than happy to join me on cruises (with their children). We've always been a close family and enjoy sharing such experiences.

If you can find a summer program for them to start learning to sail ... often they don't have the conflicts of band, soccer, etc. in the summer. They don't have to go "all in" to share this experience with you for the rest of your lives.
Old 23-04-2013, 19:33   #37

Thanks for the advice to start early. I think I'm going to look into sailing courses this summer.
Old 25-04-2013, 19:17   #38

I started looking into sailing courses. I think I found one that will suit my needs. It's a 5 day, 4 night teaching cruise on Georgian Bay on board a 24' sailboat. I expect it will have to wait until next summer, but at least I know it's available. I must admit I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed after researching sailing courses.
Old 25-04-2013, 19:35   #39
cruiser

Quote:
I started looking into sailing courses. I think I found one that will suit my needs. It's a 5 day, 4 night teaching cruise on Georgian Bay on board a 24' sailboat. I expect it will have to wait until next summer, but at least I know it's available. I must admit I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed after researching sailing courses.

Don't bury yourself in it. They all teach the same basic skills.
Old 25-04-2013, 19:39   #40

Thanks for the encouragement. I think the 5 day cruise will give me the best idea of what to expect.
Old 26-04-2013, 06:00   #41

I've been reading in many different forums that when choosing a bot it's important to consider what 'creature comforts' you need to make it feel like home rather than camping. I think for me this would be as much above deck space as possible. I think I could comfortably live in a small cabin so long as I have space in the sun to enjoy. I expect or hope to be outside on deck much more than inside. What are your thoughts about this? What boats in the 30-40' range might fit the bill? I'm wondering about whether a single hull or a catamaran would be the best option? I am planning on taking it off shore and possibly transatlantic at some point.
Old 26-04-2013, 06:17   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
I've been reading in many different forums that when choosing a bot it's important to consider what 'creature comforts' you need to make it feel like home rather than camping. I think for me this would be as much above deck space as possible. I think I could comfortably live in a small cabin so long as I have space in the sun to enjoy. I expect or hope to be outside on deck much more than inside. What are your thoughts about this? What boats in the 30-40' range might fit the bill? I'm wondering about whether a single hull or a catamaran would be the best option? I am planning on taking it off shore and possibly transatlantic at some point.
Cats do give you loads of deck space which is handy for hanging out above decks and for fishing.

Center cockpit monos have a better deck space arrangement for cruising than aft cockpit cockpit because of the increased aft deck space (IMHO...lets not derail the thread w a raging debate of aft vs center cockpit...already been done here).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 06:46   #43

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731
From my understanding a monohull is safer than a catamaran because it will right it's self in the event of a roll over. When my wife and I decide on a boat we picked saftey as a top priority.

That was a full keel mono hull boat with a proven track record.
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 07:50   #44

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
From my understanding a monohull is safer than a catamaran because it will right it's self in the event of a roll over. When my wife and I decide on a boat we picked saftey as a top priority.

That was a full keel mono hull boat with a proven track record.
Dont want to derail the thread into a raging cat/mono debate, but just a comment: Statistically loses of cats and mono work out about the same....search forums here for an analysis of NTSB data on this subject. One flips and floats the other sinks...in the end it works out about the same.

Please just search the forum on this subject so we dont pointlessly derail the thread.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 08:03   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Planning Ahead

Eeyore0072, We all know that "Eeyore" is known to be a major pessimist among Winnie the Pooh's friends. 'not to rely on that as your demeanor, but skeptics require good plans. I'm a major planner! Some may make light of plans, but I'm more in favor of Bash's comment about careful planning bringing your hopes to fruition. I'll confess that I started making plans to liveaboard, sail and cruise ten years before I bought my first liveaboard boat. During those years I sailed a little daysailor to develop some skills. During those years I developed a career to make some money for my goals. During those years I met a woman that I could talk into the plan. We are now on our third boat and they've all come with avid planning! I won't take anything away from those who don't plan, but you probably already know if you lead with plans or whim.

While making your plans, be sure to not close any doors to soon. I think this is especially true when it comes to the specific boat. Every one is a compromise, but a huge number may be well suited for your cruising intentions and your physical needs. Keep us posted on your progress.