Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 12:35   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Plan? No Plan? A plan written on beach sand?

As a previous poster said "Man plans God laughs".

I've been a very big planner, it has served me quite well but also comes with the stress of rigidity.

Actually Mike I'm attempting to adopt a style more like yours, free myself from the shackles of plans. Some around me don't like this.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58   #17

Boat: Norseman 447

“Plans are nothing. Planning is everything.” — Dwight Eisenhower
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 13:28   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
As a previous poster said "Man plans God laughs".

I've been a very big planner, it has served me quite well but also comes with the stress of rigidity.

Actually Mike I'm attempting to adopt a style more like yours, free myself from the shackles of plans. Some around me don't like this.
Exactly. You do need some plans, but talking to others about them is altogether different from having them.

We used to tell people our plans, and still do plan to rendezvous with friends at locations where we want to be and that will be compatible with the friends. They are varied and their needs vary. And having schedules is a burden.

Sometimes you meet people and they ask how long you're going to be around. Usually they are thinking about having you over for supper, but their calendars are usually booked 2 to 4 weeks in advance. We, of course, have plans written in the sands at low water. It is hard for land dwellers. It is as if they expect us to come and go on a pre-determined schedule, but what determines it for us is what is the weather window like. The two points of view are so far apart that it is hard for them to understand. Just try and get doctors to understand that you didn't come to the appointment because of bad weather. We're lucky, we have one that gets it!

The seasons have a whole lot to do with where we choose to be....far away from the cyclones for sure, and then winter's approaching, and we want to be warmer.

We went to visit some dear friends with a canal boat in France. The plan was to fly there, take the TGV to where we could connect with them, then go northeast, and take a train back to Paris. For the days, our hosts gave us stuff to read and we all had to pick things we'd like to do, then did as many as worked out. Their plan was to secure our input and enjoy themselves, too, and deal with all the boat concerns. It was a lovely holiday.

We're a pretty lucky group, those of us who cruise, we have as much or little planned stuff in our life as we want. Yes, *stuff* comes up, and we deal with it, and get back to doing what we want. Not too many folks have that freedom.

Ann
Old 06-05-2019, 15:19   #19

Plans are just that - plans. If it one thing I think I've finally learned after all these decades on earth, it is that you can make plans but if you insist on following them to the letter - you will be combating an invisible force, which for lack of a better word, I call the universe's plan. So many times I have insisted on 'doing it my way,' only to discover that I should have listened to the universe telling me that there was an easier, more elegant way or that I should take an entirely different path. Probably one of the curses of being an engineer... there is a temptation to over-plan, then try to fit everything into that plan.

One of the fascinating things about reading the Cruisers Forum is seeing how some folks want to know how, when, where, how much, which boat, which dinghy, which radar, which antifouling, ad infinitum... in order to even start dreaming about their future life aboard. They want their new sailing adventure to be planned in such minute detail that there is no room left for compromise or changes down the road. I can only imagine the stress this must cause when the inevitable deviation from their meticulous plan occurs once they gain actual experience.

So to answer Mike's excellent original query - yes, we do make general cruising plans; having a goal in mind is good - but flexibility is the key. Seven years ago we arrived in South Australia on our way to South Africa, only to be confronted with major health issues that stopped our westward progress. Two years ago we planned to sail to NZ, but found we needed a new engine. This year we were heading to Tassie but were enjoying the Spencer Gulf so much that we opted instead to spend the summer sailing there. Next year, we plan to sail away from Australia. We plan - but, in the end, we roll with the flow. I think that is why we are still out here on the big blue - enjoying every magic moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	191577  
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 15:44   #20

I’ve never been able to get much done without a plan. I’m always amazed by people having plans to sail around the world and many of them haven’t even done an overnight sail but hey each to their own. We make big plans but never small ones. For example we might plan to sail from the Med to the Caribbean but because the sailing is so easy and you can often see the next island we don’t make long range plans for the Caribbean, just sorta go with the flow and move on when we feel like it. There is always a day when we look at each other and agree it’s time to move on.. that’s usually the time we start thinking of a big plan. We are all different, thank god.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 15:53   #21
cruiser

“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” Mike Tyson
Attached Images

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:09   #22

Boat: Southern Cross 39

General goals/plans 5 years out. Specific sail plans 6 months out at most. More like 2 months. Maybe 1. OK, 2 weeks...

All my plans are carved in Jello.

Semper Gumby ! (always flexible)
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
People often come to cruising with a plan to sail around the world, or to visit all the “must-see” sights of an area. Some have plans and schedules and goals and objectives. Many make detailed financial plans and budgets. They plan for retirement, for healthcare, for the end of cruising.

Obviously we all make plans. I’m not suggesting it’s wrong or anything. Clearly some level of planning is always necessary. It’s just that I don’t tend to plan a lot. Or rather, the plans I make tend to be written in sand.

Just curious how others approach this.
Getting warm in the south.....heading north.
Willie11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 19:00   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Loving the differing (and similar) perspectives.

I love the zen notion a few have mentioned: "Man plans God laughs”. I’m not one to ascribe intent to the Universe (indeed, I think the search for meaning in life is misguided), but I appreciate the humble humour of this notion.

Ann’s comment about landlubbers and schedules sounds very familiar to me. Our land friends constantly ask where we will be, where we are going, when will we be there. I try and tell them as best I can, but I can sense their frustration when I provide honestly vague answers.

Truth is, with a cruiser's schedule it is impossible to know know BOTH location and time simultaneously. I can tell you where we will likely be, but I can’t tell you when. Or I can tell you when we will be moving, but I can’t tell you where we will be. I like to think of it as the Cruiser’s Uncertainty Principle.

Quote:
Painted Skies:
One of the fascinating things about reading the Cruisers Forum is seeing how some folks want to know how, when, where, how much, which boat, which dinghy, which radar, which antifouling, ad infinitum... in order to even start dreaming about their future life aboard. They want their new sailing adventure to be planned in such minute detail that there is no room left for compromise or changes down the road. I can only imagine the stress this must cause when the inevitable deviation from their meticulous plan occurs once they gain actual experience.
I really appreciate this insight PS. I too often am amused, or bemused by the level of certainty some folks seek when discussing these topics. All too often online conflict seems to arise around those seeking THE SINGLE RIGHT ANSWER.

Robert, we seem to have similar approach here. Yes, I make plans, but apparently I am easily distracted. I had plans to sail to Newfoundland, but I ended up cruising Lake Ontario for three additional years. Last season I had plans to sail the west coast of The Rock, but got distracted by a beautiful anchorage not 15 nm from my home harbour. Sometimes I feel like the pet dog that is so easily distracted — Squirrel!

Ken; eloquently put (as always ).
Old 06-05-2019, 19:24   #25

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I’ve learned that for me, schedules are bad, general goals are good. Schedules jam me into unnecessary risks. General goals set my direction.
If I have to schedule I do my best to build wiggle room. Planning a 5 day jaunt from Scotland to Southampton? Give yourself 15 days if it’s April. Pick the window and your bail out harbors.
Planning a passage through the Cape Cod Canal from 50 miles out? Might be no wind and foggy. Might be blowing like stink right on the nose. Aim for the early part of the 6 hour tide window.
I ran aground because I overcommitted and over scheduled. You know, day sail, anchor in a cove for lunch, sail back and go to a barbecue in the evening. Overstayed lunch, rushed back, BAM hit the ledge guarding the cove. Hauled the boat the next day to inspect. AOK but...

General goals have helped me build a life I love. As opportunities present themselves I take actions and make choices that further those goals.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 20:06   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

OH, I MAKE LOTS of plans, especially when it comes to getting some work done on the boat, but I am married with two young kids...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 20:16   #27

Boat: Island Packet 40

I plan to cruise an interesting coast where you can drink the water out of the taps and stay in the 20-26 degree celcius temperature zone for the rest of my life. The rest of it we'll take it as it comes.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 20:32   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

“A dream written down with a date becomes a goal. A goal broken down into steps becomes a plan. A plan backed by action makes your dreams come true.”

― Greg Reid

OMG I have been a wannabee/dreamer/planner for more years than I'd like. Always those pesky obstacles! I haven't given up yet, so for me planning equates to persistance and tenacity. Dreams, goals, steps have all been modiified multiple times due to circumstances. But dreaming and planning keeps me going, and I guess I've discovered if nothing else, then I've learned to be flexible. A good quality to have for my future cruising life.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 21:06   #29

The only plan I have is to live to be 100. Or die trying.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:01   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I don't know if he still feels this way, but Jim once said he hoped he'd die jumping out of a whore house window at the age of 106.....