Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 16:55   #1

Plan?

hi all I am new to this forum but i thought it would be a good idea to ask some more experienced people about my ideas before i get too far into this. I'm 17 and I am trying to eventually live aboard a boat in northern California. I have loosely put together a plan to get me to my goal.

First off I am just a test away from bareboat certification. possibly rent a few boats later on to aquire a taste for what I want in a boat.

Second I am trying to join the Coast Guard. I think that I could get better educated about boats and life on the water depending on the job I can get. Also I think there would be the possibility of earning a captains license in there. And I would need to save every dime I get paid to afford a boat afterwards.

Third would be coming home (to my parents or a friends house) and getting on my feet economically and picking out a boat. (30-35ft) ( I would love a suggestion) Best case I can get a career on the water. Worst case no job/ construction work

Fourth would be finding my baby (boat) a home. I realize there is a long waiting list for a lot of places in this area but i was thinking somewhere in San Francisco (I dont mind a short wait anchored or moored somewhere if I have to wait for any spot) until I can move into my most desired home, Santa Cruz.

fifth would be to do maintanance. I hope for mostly cosmetic problems- varnish, paint, ect but boat does stand for bring out another thousand so I can't complain too much.

then i can finally get situated.

thoughts? is this realistic? am I hoping for too much here?

oh and the first thread I read hear was about security. Now maybe I'm foolish or crude but I see nothing wrong with a dog, kbar, and a .45.
stephengrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:27   #2

Yay! Gun thread!
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:35   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: plan?

Great last line.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:02   #4

Well security has to be in my plan somewhere and I shouldn't mess with homemade booby traps, trip wires, or flares. And I would set off a motion sensor EVERY morning.
So I'll have to do it the old fashion way and besides I wouldn't have anything worth stealing except the boat which requires a key.

Seriously though can anyone give me advise on my plan?
Old 09-01-2013, 18:31   #5

I would skip the CG stint. Get a small functioning boat and "just do it." As for security, do what I do: Nothing. Just back to my boat in the Philippines from a month in the States. You know, the pirate and brown person inhabited Philippines. Boat unlocked. Key in the starter switch. Decks clear but every bit of fancy gear right here inside. Nothing touched.

Probably worse security in California. But I was there 30 years and didn't lose enough to worry about.

Get out of you frightened little cocoon and live!
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 19:53   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post

Get out of you frightened little cocoon and live!
...and maybe add...Kill your Television!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 20:46   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

marina bay in Richmond will generally have a few liveaboard slots open. Expect to pay $500-$600 for slip, including liveaboard fee, elect, pet fee, etc, etc. Not a bad place. E dock is better overall then D,F or G dock, or it was for me.

Always good to have the slip before you have the boat.

Its doable,

yes please kill the TV. Living on a boat is far safer and nicer, well to some anyway, then a nice apartment.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 20:48   #8

It sounds tempting to go straight to the water but why skip the coast guard?
What do I gain/lose?
Old 09-01-2013, 21:21   #9
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

Well if you want to CG as part of your 'work' plan. Then there is nothing wrong with it.

However if you are going it because you want boat experience - then it is not going to be very useful.

If you are going there to get trained in something... make sure it is something marketable when you get out. Preferable a good degree - software - electronics. If you are a more practical person - Engines and Electrics are marketable skills.
Being able to strip and rebuild a 50cal in the dark on a pitching boat is not a useful skill on the outside. Used to be that getting a rank was good. But really that only allows management and the world is full of managers. You need something to back it up.

Not sure if you are interested in a motor boat, or sail.
-- locally (PNW) you can pick up an 'in need of love' motor boat for $10K. the engines will likely be on their last legs -- but as long as the hull is good you are in fine shape. Most of those boats here have a marinized big block. you can move most of the boat stuff across from the old engine to a land based engine. Check the internet to make sure before.
-- in need of love sail boats start at $20k. I paid $22k for my Pearson 365. Worked on it for a year and sold if for ... a lot more.

Again if you are not planning to do much actual boating you really don't need the running equipment to be in good condition. And with no TV you have lots of productive time to make it better.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 21:58   #10

What kind of work did you do on the Pearson 365?
Engines are a great possibility for me! But law enforcement is choice number one. And sailboat all the way. I Can't understand just.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:46   #11
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephengrem View Post
What kind of work did you do on the Pearson 365?
Turned out most of the issues were dirt and age.
So lots of cleaning bright work paint. Rebuilt the engine and gearbox. New rigging. Then rewired and new propane system. Added some newer electronics and ... Done. Oh and rebuilt all the winches etc..

Took about a year. For the last half year I lived full time on her. Then I arranged a sale as I needed more space. But the boat I was buying fell.. Literally .. Crane driver error. So I'm landlocked till summer.
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:29   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Don't let them scare you; the USCG is a great place to get started!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:43   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

SG:

Not a bad plan. Get on with it, expecting there may be deviations along the way, some good and others unintentional. Modify the plan as you progress to fit current circumstances as they evolve.

USCG would be a great job, if the actual work suits you. Since you'll want some sort of a job anyway, I'd mark this one as neutral impact within your plan; other jobs may suit equally. Wouldn't expect USCG employment to provide significant impact toward a Captain's license. Still, lots of marine and/or LE trades/skills to be learned there, and it could be a reasonable income to support your plan.

Work on a boat is never-ending. There's always something that needs cleaned, serviced, repaired, replaced... but being able to (eventually) do all or most of that yourself will affect your overall budget.

-Chris
Old 10-01-2013, 05:53   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

SG,
Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and a pretty solid plan.

I would say the Coast Guard route is not a bad idea either. You will learn a lot of good basics of seamanship in the CG. I did six years in the Navy working on electronics and although I never was assigned to a ship I did learn the basics of damage control, dewatering, firefighting, material conditions and a lot of other useful shipboard (paint chipping and scraping, galley cranking) skills that had I not been in the service I would have not a clue.

You are still young so live in the barracks and when you get a girl make sure she has a spirit of adventure.

Good luck..
Old 10-01-2013, 16:40   #15

They dropped your boat!? That's awful !

Ok CG interviews are on tuesday and I just ran into a serious problem. There is a PFT test before anything can happen and I have everything down except the run. I was making the mile and a half in about 11-12min no problem for the last two months so I wasn't sweating it, well the last two and a half weeks I've been sick and unable to run. I slid back a lot more than I anticipated and now I ran it in 14min. a bit nervous but I'll make this work.

How did you guys make make the leap to living on a boat?