Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2018, 20:27   #1

Boat: Bristol 35.5
Picked this up on facebook

splains it all..
Life is incredibly short.
We take everything we were born with to the grave, i.e. nothing.
All the houses/cars/money/social position we covet and struggle and waste our lives for mean zip at the end, which comes all too soon.
WTF do you want to do with your life?
This is basic philosophy 101 and to me it means live it to the fullest, every day an adventure.
Security is an evil illusion that does not exist except in the profit margin of those who sell it to you by exploiting fear of death and the unknown.
'Oh, you need a house, and home insurance and life insurance and health insurance and a better car and new clothes and a bigger TV and a more impressive job title' and on and on and on so get to work to pay for it!
Go ahead, sell the short hours of life to the bankers, landlords, car dealers and profit takers, or wrench it out of their hands and spend it in your own joy and amazement in our wonderful world.
A sailboat is a subversive thing, and offers true freedom, with all the uncertainty and self reliance and potential for daily disaster that come along with same.
Not for wimps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	time coin.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	169911  
Old 16-05-2018, 21:54   #2

Re: Picked this up on facebook

Always nice to be reminded.
dales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 21:56   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

And when you get too old to boat or if some unforseen problem forces you to shore early with no financial backup?

I have several friends who lived by your mantra who are now getting more than a bit concerned.

We never drank the koolaid at either ends of the scale and instead chose the middle road
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 23:33   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And when you get too old to boat or if some unforseen problem forces you to shore early with no financial backup?

I have several friends who lived by your mantra who are now getting more than a bit concerned.

We never drank the koolaid at either ends of the scale and instead chose the middle road
And I bet you get the old " öh you'r lucky ", yeah right, the harder I work the luckier I get.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 03:23   #5
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:

Dosn't mean that you throw caution to the wind - Simply saying don't buy into the ******** of modern day society and the mass media brainwashing about what you should and shouldn't have, do or be.

Society today is FUBAR..........and ain't going anywhere pretty......
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 05:31   #6

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:

yeah a little concerned. i lost everything in '06 due to bad bike wreck now got some back. in the states we get a check at 62 yrs old. if it all went to hell, i'd move back to the pool room.. it doesn't suck! but thinkin 5 yrs of cruising will be a helluva lot better than sittin home watchin tv all day, go to sleep, wake up and do it all again. everyday. certainly don't want my kids handling any problems like that for me. i'd just bite the bullet before i'd let that happen.. don't want my kids spoon feeding me oatmeal and changing diapers. for me this is all free.. i already been dead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0006.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	169913  
Old 17-05-2018, 06:08   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

We (my partner and I) left most of our paying work a few years ago (good paying jobs) and have been living a vagabond life since then; 1/2-time cruising, 1/2-time other stuff. We’ve set ourselves up to be able to do this (no kids, no debt). We have very modest savings, one small pension right now, with small government pensions pending in the future (CPP in Canada).

We’ve purposely weighted freedom and adventure over safety and security. We’re living for today, and accepting a greater uncertainty for our old-age. I don’t know what the future will hold, except that someday (too soon) we will be dead.
Old 17-05-2018, 06:33   #8

Interesting responses. People hear from the statement what they want to hear. The statement is a plain statement of fact. Each response is more of a justification for why someone has made their choices as to how to live their life.

The statement says neither 'work hard', 'play hard', nor 'find a compromise'.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 06:41   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

I’d like to think I’m in the middle too. However more than once I have seen a seven figure savings account evaporate when a Spouse gets a terminal illness.
So who knows? All I have come to realize is you can’t prepare for everything.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 08:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’d like to think I’m in the middle too. However more than once I have seen a seven figure savings account evaporate when a Spouse gets a terminal illness.
One thing that strikes me as a Canadian, is that I probably wouldn’t be able to do as I’m doing if I were an American. Your health insurance costs alone would make my current lifestyle impossible. I’m also banking on our government run pension plan (CPP), our government supported supplements (OAS/GIS), and other general support for seniors.

Looking at the costs my American friends have to carry, I am constantly amazed any middle-class folks down there can find a way to go cruising. Those that do are amazing … and probably far more focused on finances than I have the luxury of being.
Old 17-05-2018, 08:30   #11

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I wonder how the calculus will change when assisted suicide becomes legal and loses the stigma... like the Aussie gent who just flew to Switzerland not because he was sick, but because he was 104 and said he'd done everything he wanted to and life wasn't that fun anymore. I try to be prudent and have savings and investments, but also live by the seat of my pants a bit more than most.... no kids, no debt make it easier. But I think from observation, life gives more than it takes at younger ages, but at some point starts taking more and more than it gives. It would be a relief to know you could live as you pleased and not worry about trying to life-support yourself for those last bad years, and check out on your own terms without stigma or pain when you had had enough, instead of worrying that you didn't waste all your life on work in order to save enough for hospice care or extensive hospital treatments. No?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 08:44   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Picked this up on facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A few million in the UK have seen that when the Pension Fund folds.. dont have to be sick to lose it all then work till you drop just to keep a roof over your head.
At least with a boat youve a more secure roof than anything on land.. Sez the man with the €500/mth pension..

https://youtu.be/MEMUsC8ppU0C

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 08:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I wonder how the calculus will change when assisted suicide becomes legal and loses the stigma...
Assisted death is legal in Canada; has been for a few years now. Plenty of strictures around it though. Ain’t that easy to access, and only available to medically terminal patients, but it is available.
Old 17-05-2018, 08:49   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i thought i lost everything with 5 restarts.

until my brother died in 2014.

i never lost so much in my life as loss of my brother, my shadow my pal.

appreciate that which you have before it is too late.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 09:22   #15

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Dosn't mean that you throw caution to the wind - Simply saying don't buy into the ******** of modern day society and the mass media brainwashing about what you should and shouldn't have, do or be.

Society today is FUBAR..........and ain't going anywhere pretty......
Funny how some folks don't consider Facebook to be mass media. They are the largest marketing firm in the world and increasing to be the only media for many. If you take marketing to be the bigger and less frowned upon lie you get what it is really.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote