Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 05:22   #1

Boat: Still looking...
Philadelphia liveaboard questions

I'm in the early stages of planning a move to a liveaboard in Philadelphia. I'm new to sailing but have been doing some research and just completed ASA 101 (103/104 next month). I know enough to realize how much I DONT know!

Anyway, I'd appreciate any recommendations re: Philadelphia marinas (I've heard some good things about pier 3), yacht brokers and insurance agents.

Thx in advance!
Xtra_hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:08   #2

Boat: Carter offshore 35
Re: Philadelphia liveaboard questions

Come armed. Check the murder rate and home invasions in Phila. Look at transportation you may have to do some walking. Food shopping could be a problem also not many grocery stores close by. If you have a car watch the TV show on Philly Parking Authority and make sure you have at least $1000 available on you credit card. Might want to look at All Seasons Marina at Neshaminy State Park in Bensalem.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Hoppy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:42   #4

First of all ignore all of DeborahLee's comments. Philly can be a wonderful place to live. Keep in mind non of the marina's there allow full time live aboards! It does not mean they are not there, but technically it is not allowed. I will not mention which I prefer, but it is my winter home.

Parking is not a problem, as long as you follow the rules. The marina I am in, comes with a one spot in a gated lot. Not the closest lot, but a two minute walk from my boat.

Most of the time if I go out at night or the weekends, I use Uber. Then i do not have to worry about parking or if I want to have a drink or three.

There is a small store within walking distance, and several more within a short drive. Including an Acme, Shoprite and Walmart. Does DeborahLee really think the people in Philly do not grocery shop?

There are so many things to do in Philly, it makes it hard to choose what to do on any given day.

Let me know if you have specific questions I will be glad to answer them for you.

Pier 3 and Pier 5 are great, they provide water year round, but no pumpout in the winter, and no overboard discharge. Parking is available for a cost and a 4 minute walk.

Other then Dredge Harbor NJ not many brokers in the area.
spj8864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Come armed. Check the murder rate and home invasions in Phila. Look at transportation you may have to do some walking. Food shopping could be a problem also not many grocery stores close by. If you have a car watch the TV show on Philly Parking Authority and make sure you have at least $1000 available on you credit card. Might want to look at All Seasons Marina at Neshaminy State Park in Bensalem.

Yikes... Sounds almost as bad as NYC...
Old 15-09-2017, 12:03   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Utter rubbish. Philadelphia is a great town, one of my favorites, lived there for 15 years. The waterfront has come a long way in recent decades. The only downside I can think of to being a live aboard there is noise from I-95, but it's elevated so probably less of an issue than I'm supposing.

FYI the per capita murder rate in Philly is half of what it is in Baltimore, and Fells Point is arguably one of the best live aboard spots on the east coast.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Utter rubbish. Philadelphia is a great town, one of my favorites, lived there for 15 years. The waterfront has come a long way in recent decades. The only downside I can think of to being a live aboard there is noise from I-95, but it's elevated so probably less of an issue than I'm supposing.

FYI the per capita murder rate in Philly is half of what it is in Baltimore, and Fells Point is arguably one of the best live aboard spots on the east coast.
Suijin,

Believe it or not I do not hear 95 at all. Columbus Blvd is a different story, but anytime you live in a city your are going to hear noise. You get use to it very quickly.
spj8864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:40   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
FYI the per capita murder rate in Philly is half of what it is in Baltimore
Not the best example maybe 8-)

And I resemble that NYC crack. Now back in the 70's, yes I was there for the blackout riots. . .

But nowadays everything's been too sanitized, s'like Singapore or Zurich, took all the fun right out of it fer cryin' out loud.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We lived in Philly for over 30 years and moved out last year.

We had a sailboat for several years and lived aboard every other week for the last 2 or 3. Our location was the Delaware City Marina in Delaware City, DE.

Because we were working every other week we didn't commute but had the boat and an apartment "in town". We have friends who did live in one of the piers but who moved to DC. Their complaints were the wake from river traffic, and very shallow. I think it matters if you are on a power boat or on a sailboat.

Philly isn't a great water sports town. The river has a lot of commercial traffic, current, and shoals.

There are a couple of other marinas down river just below the international airport but we found them kind of rough and open to weather from the river and noisy due to airport landing/take off patterns patterns.

So, all third hand info about the marina.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

And I resemble that NYC crack. Now back in the 70's, yes I was there for the blackout riots. . .

Assuming you meant to type "resent". I was being totally facetious. I love NYC - have lived here 16 years. I was poking fun at the irrational fear many people seem to have of cities.
Old 15-09-2017, 12:56   #11
cruiser

I pity your deprived childhood

https://youtu.be/RrcXYn6HqX8
Old 15-09-2017, 13:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I pity your deprived childhood

https://youtu.be/RrcXYn6HqX8
Hah! Touche' my friend...
Old 15-09-2017, 13:14   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Somewhat ironically DeborahLee is from Cambridge MD, which was essentially burnt to the ground during race riots in 1967. And I wouldn't exactly call it an uplifting and economically vibrant city today either.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:17   #14

Boat: Camano Troll

Most folks live near where they work. It's a difficult commute otherwise. So, I'm assuming the OP has chosen to live in Philadelphia because he works there or nearby.

Every town or city has places where sane people don't go, especially at night. My city just got off the "ten most dangerous cities" list a few years ago yet I've never actually seen any crime or been afraid of my safety. There is a high crime area and the rest of town.

My concern for living on a boat in Philly is that it gets cold in the winter. Someone mentioned water and pumpout services. Not having pumpout services for six months at a time could be a problem. Also, iced up docks could be pretty dangerous in the winter.

Other than that, I can't say anything about which marinas might be best for liveaboards. Best would be to visit the marinas if possible and talk to them.
Old 15-09-2017, 13:41   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Every town or city has places where sane people don't go, especially at night.
True in many undeveloped countries, and the US.

Tags
liveaboard