Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 08:03   #1

Boat: Krogen 42
Personal Liability Insurance

How do full time cruisers, with no dirt home (homeowners insurance), handle personal liability insurance? A standard yacht policy only covers liability that is vessel related not when you are off the boat.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:13   #2
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Personal Liability Insurance

I tried to find someone who would issue a liability policy on it's own, and was unable to find any such animal. Only seems to exist within the US and as a rider to homeowners.

People outside the US look at Americans and their legal liability issues somewhat askance. Not that common in the rest of the world.
Old 11-11-2015, 15:08   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you are off your boat, why do you need personal liability insurance? I assume you aren't walking around clobbering people over the head.

As for people being hurt while on your boat, most boat insurance policies include this, or it can be bought for a small amount of money.

If you are outside the US, personal liability insurance is a waste of money and pretty much meaningless in definition. Other countries just aren't as whacked out legal-wise as the US.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 15:17   #4

Boat: Krogen 42

Here's an example: walking in town, step off the sidewalk into the street causing a car to swerve and cause an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-11-2015, 15:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Here's an example: walking in town, step off the sidewalk into the street causing a car to swerve and cause an accident.
ONLY in the US would this be considered a sue-able event. I'm not even sure even that example would stand a chance in court in the US.

Save your money and look both ways...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 11-11-2015, 15:22   #6

Boat: Caliber 40

We liveaboard and have no shoreside property.

State Farm (in California) provides $1M personal liability insurance for about $10/month. We have our car insured with them.

When we left to cruise in Mexico, after we sold our home, we learned that it is not possible to purchase personal liability unless one has some kind of shore side asset that is being insured. At that time (Fall 2001) we had planned to sell all our cars. But, State Farm (a different agent in Washington) said that if we kept our old junker and purchased the minimum possible liability insurance (about $20/month) on it we could then purchase a separate and substantial personal liability policy.

In today's world I cannot understand not having personal liability insurance if you have any kind of personal assets or net worth. While cruising for almost four years we returned to the states for several months at a time every year and were exposed to all the litigious individuals found in our wonderful country.

For me - it is cheap peace of mind!
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 15:44   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
How do full time cruisers, with no dirt home (homeowners insurance), handle personal liability insurance? A standard yacht policy only covers liability that is vessel related not when you are off the boat.
Hi Terry,

We are using IMIS for our boat insurance and they do provide personal liability insurance as an option on their policy. [We had that conversation them last May so we know how to proceed should we decide to sell the house in the future...]

For clarity for everyone: personal liability covers you when away from your boat [e.g., on land] and yacht liability provides the same coverage while on, or because of, the boat...

Since IMIS offers it, I suspect other Marine Insurance carriers may offer personal liability add-ons as well, but that is my unconfirmed assumption...

Good luck with your pursuit.

Cheers!

-Bill
Old 11-11-2015, 16:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
For clarity for everyone: personal liability covers you when away from your boat [e.g., on land] and yacht liability provides the same coverage while on, or because of, the boat...
I don't think this is true.

Yacht liability covers damage to other's or their property due to actions from you and your boat. For example, you hit and damage another boat while docking, or someone gets hit by your bowsprit as it sweeps the stanchions off another boat.

Personal liability covers harm to others while on your boat (or off it, if that is the type of coverage one has). For example, someone slips on your deck and breaks their arm.

Hopefully, there will be an insurance person pop up here that can clarify.

Mark

Old 11-11-2015, 16:32   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't think this is true.

Yacht liability covers damage to other's or their property due to actions from you and your boat. For example, you hit and damage another boat while docking, or someone gets hit by your bowsprit as it sweeps the stanchions off another boat.

Personal liability covers harm to others while on your boat (or off it, if that is the type of coverage one has). For example, someone slips on your deck and breaks their arm.

Hopefully, there will be an insurance person pop up here that can clarify.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I admit that I'm not an insurance expert, and never will be. That is why I go to great lengths to find an agent [lawer, etc.] I can trust.

In my first post on this thread I was just paraphrasing what our agent told us...

Your reply caused me to dig up that conversation from my email archives to determine if I had misunderstood something.

Following are snips from that email conversation which I was paraphrasing from memory in my first post:

Quote:
"That section [Yacht Liabiliity] covers you for liabilities that may arise out of use or operation of the vessel such as bodily injury, property damage, oil pollution, etc. That is the section of your yacht policy that the [Personal Liability] umbrella carrier would be concerned with. Their policy would act to cover any liabilities exceeding the underlying policy limits...

...Personal liability would cover you on shore. Same type of coverage you would typically find on a homeowners or tenants policy but offered on Jackline since we do have some full time liveaboards without that protection elsewhere..."
This is what I was basing my clarification upon.

Other insurance policies may divide/define these areas of liability differently.

I hope this helps explain my intention with the clarification I provided.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 11-11-2015, 16:33   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
You mean an "umbrella" liability policy I assume that would cover most liabilities above the limits of any underlying coverages right?

What specific type of risks are you concerned about?

If you have no dirt home, or other assets in the USA that might generate liability...like rental property, then I agree its unecessary. Outside the USA large punitive damages are almost unheard of.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance