Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2013, 18:08   #1

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Personal Liability Insurance

Girlfriend who lives aboard with me is interested in some personal liability insurance....

Her umbrella policy was cancelled when she sold her house and would like to be protected beyond just liability on her car.

Anyone know of a company that provides it without owning property or renting?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 19:49   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Personal Liability Insurance

Hiya PS! In order to have Personal Liability Insurance, you have to have a "property at risk" in which someone has had a "bad hair day" on it then sues you because you were negligent; property either owned or leased. Personal Liability Insurance would then kick-in to protect/defend you. Self-inflicting owies/calamities are not covered. Check with State Farm insurance; they might have some coverage that I'm not aware of. If you got deep pockets, Lloyd of London will custom write insurance coverage for ANYTHING you want insured; beek/nose, eye lashes, left ear...you name it, they'll insure it. Good luck!

Mauritz
Knows all and sees all...
Old 28-09-2013, 20:10   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I have personal liability insurance hopefully sufficient to cover all my assets. I get it from State Farm. I also have insurance from State Farm for my condominium and automobile, which include rather limited liability coverage themselves. Each year State Farm wants to see my boat's insurance endorsement since that's from another insurer.
Old 28-09-2013, 20:29   #4

Boat: CL52
What exactly does she want insured?
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 03:22   #5

The problem is most insurance wants you to have a base policy...either home, yacht or renters...she only has a car as of now...

But let's say she's out walking hr dog...and some nitwit trips onver the leash or does something to make the dg bite him...what protection does she have? None...

There is personal property insurance for issues like this...but no luck finding a company that will do it with only an auto policy.
Old 29-09-2013, 04:13   #6

Hiya PS! How about adding her to your existing policy, then she could have the coverage she needs; assuming that she resides with you/same mailing address.

Mauritz
Knows and sees all...
Old 29-09-2013, 07:01   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We looked into this a few years ago and this company offered liability insurance without home or auto ownership/rental RLI Corp. and Subsidiaries

I don't know if they still do.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 07:08   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Girlfriend who lives aboard with me is interested in some personal liability insurance....

Her umbrella policy was cancelled when she sold her house and would like to be protected beyond just liability on her car.

Anyone know of a company that provides it without owning property or renting?
How can you get insurance without having an " insurable interest ". .??

Dave
Old 29-09-2013, 14:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
How can you get insurance without having an " insurable interest ". .??

Dave
I plead ignorance...what would the average person have that would be insurable interest?

House, boat, car, investments?....not sure why a person with "any asset" wouldn't have insurable interest...that asset also being talent, marketability, etc...etc...
Old 29-09-2013, 14:28   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

I plead ignorance...what would the average person have that would be insurable interest?

House, boat, car, investments?....not sure why a person with "any asset" wouldn't have insurable interest...that asset also being talent, marketability, etc...etc...
What you asked , was GF wants personal liability. Personal liability for what? . You can insure things that are yours ( insurable interest ) , or where you are responsible for them. ( like renting a car on your own insurance) but I'm not aware you can get insurance for liability arisen from something you are not responsible for.

I can't get insurance on your car for example. Why because of the moral hazard clearly.

Dave
Old 29-09-2013, 14:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What you asked , was GF wants personal liability. Personal liability for what? . You can insure things that are yours ( insurable interest ) , or where you are responsible for them. ( like renting a car on your own insurance) but I'm not aware you can get insurance for liability arisen from something you are not responsible for.

I can't get insurance on your car for example. Why because of the moral hazard clearly.

Dave
What if she knocks a little old lady down in the supermarket with a shopping cart and the lady decides to sue he for medical damages. Nothing to do with your home yet an umbrella policy that piggybacks your homeowners will cover it...

So why can't you just get the liability insurance...pay a higher premium because there is no base you are working from to do the same?

Sounds like people have gotten these type policies...just haven't found the right company yet I guess.

I have had several responses, even from an insurance guy< who says it can be done.
Old 29-09-2013, 14:44   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
What if she knocks a little old lady down in the supermarket with a shopping cart and the lady decides to sue he for medical damages. Nothing to do with your home yet an umbrella policy that piggybacks your homeowners will cover it...

So why can't you just get the liability insurance...pay a higher premium because there is no base you are working from to do the same?

Sounds like people have gotten these type policies...just haven't found the right company yet I guess.

I have had several responses, even from an insurance guy< who says it can be done.
Not to be be too personal, but how much money does this chick have? Well into 7 figures? Why does she want to hang out on some crummy boat with the likes of you?

Of course, I'm joking but why doesn't she just buy a small condo near other family members so she can get coverage. I totally understand the need for coverage, but chances are that little old lady won't know to go after her is she doesn't have any obvious assets like a house or fancy car.

I personally only have liability of about 1/2 my assets, but I drive a 12 y/o car have a relatively modest house. In some ways having a big insurance policy may make you more of a target so you'd better get the MAX if you go that route.
Old 29-09-2013, 15:15   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

I could be wrong , but don't all types of umbrella policy , require some other primary insurance policy to exist.

Dave
Old 29-09-2013, 15:22   #14

Yes, you must have a primary insurance coverage of sort in order for you to get an Umbrella policy. It all boils down to having an insurable interest that needs protection; no tickee, no washee! Capice?

Mauritz
Knows all and sees all...
Old 29-09-2013, 15:25   #15
Nearly an old salt

Can you not get umbrella insurance on the back of her car insurance

Dave

Tags
insurance