Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 14:37   #1

Personal Electronics & Salt Water

I'm just wondering what your experiences are with your computers, other personal electronics, etc. in the sea air. How has it affected them? Do you do anything to protect them? Is there anything to protect them? Just curious.
stxchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 15:16   #2

Boat: S2 9.2C
Otterbox on the iPhone.
Waterproof Shimano bag for taking computer and other electrical gadgets ashore from the dingy or even off the boat in the marina.
Always put our phones and wallets in the boat box(small plastic watertight box).

I was wondering myself about dielectric grease on ports if it would help stop corrosion from the salt air.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 15:23   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
re: Personal Electronics & Salt Water

In ten years living aboard, the only electronic item I had that didn't stand up well to the sea air/humidity was a laser printer. I've since then switched to an ink jet, and it does fine.

I currently use an iPad with a wireless keyboard as my primary "computer" onboard. I suspect that it will hold up better than laptops simply because it's less susceptible to shocks and spills, and far easier to transport.
Old 03-01-2012, 16:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
Otterbox on the iPhone.
Waterproof Shimano bag for taking computer and other electrical gadgets ashore from the dingy or even off the boat in the marina.
Always put our phones and wallets in the boat box(small plastic watertight box).

I was wondering myself about dielectric grease on ports if it would help stop corrosion from the salt air.
yes that would help but i would be more concerned with internal connections such as sata and ram memory,i am deciding on if i am going to take my gaming pc aboard ($2500) right now that is my biggest concern besides the fact that it draws 850 watts when running wide open
akaMOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 17:50   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

No issues. At sea, we use the electronics down below only.

I have a Panasonic walkman, some 10 years old now, used this one in often wet pockets of my parka, it is still as good as gold today. But not so the tapes!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59   #6

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
But not so the tapes!
CD's also fared the worst for me-- all of mine developed some kind of fungus or rust inside, so that you could actually see through them.

My other electronics did pretty well, except for what was in the dry bag that got splashed by gas. The gas dissolved the seam sealant in the dry bag, so everything inside was wrecked later. Oh, and the laptop that was underneath an open port.

Fatty Goodlander has a pretty good idea, to make little "Arizona Desert" boxes to keep your electronics in: tupperware with dehumidifier beads in there.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 13:32   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
CD's also fared the worst for me-- all of mine developed some kind of fungus or rust inside, so that you could actually see through them.

(...)
There is an easy way round with the CDs:

1) do not touch them with bare fingers,

2) remove all fingerprints, etc., temporarily.

I noticed the fungi develop where the CD was touched - they probably feed on sweat/dirt of our fingerprints.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 18:50   #8

Lifeproof case for the iPhone and Pelican cases for electronics when not in use.

Look into conformal coating if you are concerned, or want stuff to last longer.
Conformal coating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 22:55   #9

Boat: Currently boatless

Except for devices we've dropped into the ocean, we've had no problems with any personal electronics in 1.5 years of cruising plus 3.5 years of living aboard. We've only been in warm weather (Mexico) since October so we'll see if that adds any additional concerns. We don't keep our electronics in any special cases except when transporting them in the dinghy. We don't spray them with anything.

Some boats might be wetter than others I suppose.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 23:20   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Except for devices we've dropped into the ocean . . .
If I had a dollar for every mobile phone I've dropped into the oggin . . . Or the bilge. . . Sigh. . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:06   #11

I dropped my iPhone into a pool. Retrieved it and blasted it with a hairdryer on cool mode and then put it in a baggie sealed tight with a couple handfuls of uncooked rice. Kept it in the sun in order to form condensation. Each night I kind of mopped up the condensation with a rag. Kept this up for a week then charged it up no worries! Doubt it would work with salt water though.
Karratha Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Personal Electronics & Salt Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxchick View Post
I'm just wondering what your experiences are with your computers, other personal electronics, etc. in the sea air. How has it affected them? Do you do anything to protect them? Is there anything to protect them? Just curious.
You might find that, when not in use, keeping your non-marinized electronic devices in zip-lock freezer bags with a couple of dessicant packs that can be picked up pretty inexpensively will preserve them prety well. Silica Gel dessicants, that can be "rejuvinated" by drying in a warm oven for awhile, are available on-line quite inexpensively and they seem to work pretty well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26   #13

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

We have been cruising for a year now and have had Poseidon claim

Asus netbook from a single drop of water that went through the companionway.

Asus netbook from possibly humidity

One cell phone from handling while sailing the keys
No matter how many sunglasses, pots and lids, flip flops, cans of food, fishing reels or other items we have offered the sea in sacrafice, he still comes after the electronics.

w
Old 08-01-2012, 08:51   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Condensation in salt air is a long-term problem, particularly on non-marinized items with ports, fans and other ventilation points. To minimize internal condensation I try to cover electronics while still warm, even if no case I'll put them under a sweatshirt or other clothing (especially at night when dew will otherwise form).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:43   #15

Boat: C&C 38'

See my post on why I have a new phone!

Tags
electronics, salt water, water