Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2016, 14:10   #1

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)
Perry 47'

Ahoy,

Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with a 47' Perry center console ketch? I am looking for a nice liveaboard but one I can take cruising from time to time..

Thanks in advance.. flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 16:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Perry 47'

That's a beauty by my checklist, however, older boats need to be individually evaluated by the result of their care and wear,- not by their original manufacture. The over six foot draft is a little much for my cruising areas.

By the way, I'd suggest the term center cockpit instead of center console. "Center console" usually references a small fishing boat design.
Old 25-05-2016, 18:19   #3

Hudson Force,
Thanks for your input, and naturally any boat nearly 40 years old will get a good going over before any final decision would be made.. Unlike so many of the other boats I have reviewed (a little Tayana 42 so far is tops for me), I haven't been able to find much on the Perry, except the designer has designed a pot load of boats.

You are of course correct in describing it as a center cockpit.. I know it is, and it was just a Freudian slip having only recently switched over to sail boats.. I do have experience with power boats, I am relatively new to sailing.. And while I have long wanted to start sailing, there just isn't the opportunity having lived most of my life in central Texas <grin>.

I was very lucky to been able to sail on a rather large ketch in the Med back in the late 70's and fell in love with sailing. I have again awaken that dream and have already begun to learn to sail on a Hunter 26.5 I bought.. I got my ASA101 certification this past weekend and what a great experience it has been..

Thanks again for the info on the Perry.. I hope to look at one weekend after next.. flk k
Old 25-05-2016, 18:33   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

For more anectotal info and opinions on such boat see this old thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...47-a-6093.html
although it has recent posts as well.

For just numerical values (with one photo) one could check sailboat data here:
PERRY 47 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Have fun with looking at boats.
Old 26-05-2016, 03:29   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I looked through the links that HankOnthewater provided and see that he's given you a great source of information. Good luck with your search and keep us posted of your outcomes.
Old 26-05-2016, 05:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

As a designer Robert Perry is one of the best.
I own one of his 44' sailboats built by Cheoy Lee in Hong Kong in 1982.
Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's Perry penned a lot of boats and most of the sailboats were built by Cheoy Lee. It was unusual to see a boat like the 47' built at Universal Marine in the far east. You can look at some of the boats Perry designed here Cheoy Lee Models, Full Graphics
The yards in the far east back then did a hit and miss job with the systems on the boats they constructed, but the fiberglass work and teak joinery work was usually excellent. Refitting a boat of that age to become a liveaboard will be a very expensive project unless a lot of the work has been done already. Plan on spending what you pay for the boat and double it unless you want to be camping on the water.
You can call Perry on the west coast and talk with him about that particular model if he remembers it. I spoke with him about the weight study on my boat due to the addition of 2,000 lbs of equipment. Nice enough guy.
Good luck.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 13:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
<snip>
Refitting a boat of that age to become a liveaboard will be a very expensive project unless a lot of the work has been done already. Plan on spending what you pay for the boat and double it unless you want to be camping on the water.
<snip>
Rourkeh,
<LOL> From what I have see thus far, is there anything about buying a 30 to 40+ year old boat which isn't a very expensive project??

As I look over a prospective boat, I am adding up the cost of the work I see which needs to be done and then double that figure for the things I can't see..

A friend told me you buy a boat for $50k, sink another $50k into it, and you will end up with a boat worth about $50k.

Seriously though, I still quite new at this and don't want to end up with a dog of a boat.

Thanks for all of the good info and personal opinions.. flk k
Old 26-05-2016, 13:11   #8

Most of Bob's boats are great designs. However, as mentioned different yards built them so the devil is in the detail. Some of his were built by Ta Shing... one of the best in the world, others not so much so.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 02:33   #9

Boat: Roberts 45

Firstly congratulations on getting in the conversation at all. Your friend is half right. It depends whether that +50k includes everything that might need to be replaced given that that's a pretty old boat. We bought an old steel ketch and we've put in almost 3 times that amount because of the age of the autopilot, instruments, sails, halyards, anchor chain, fuel tanks tender, radios refrigeration , head etc etc. We did start off with some limited hull work to do but that was relatively inexpensive compared to the rest.
Frankly it all depends on two things :
1. The duty the boat will have to perform or offshore, coastal, long/short passages etc
2. Somewhat dependent on 1.: whether you want a boat that you "know" is going to be ok or whether you want to buy a boat that you "hope" is going to be ok and therein lies the equation around peace of mind and safety.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Velella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 23:09   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have friends with a Perry 47 in Corpus Christi. SV Second Star. Actually met them here on CF. you might be able to find them with a search.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 20:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velella99 View Post
<snip>
Frankly it all depends on two things :
1. The duty the boat will have to perform or offshore, coastal, long/short passages etc
2. Somewhat dependent on 1.: whether you want a boat that you "know" is going to be ok or whether you want to buy a boat that you "hope" is going to be ok and therein lies the equation around peace of mind and safety.
,snip>
I spent time doing Search and Rescue in the U.S. Coast Guard, and I met more than my share of people who only "Hoped" it was going to be ok. With me it is safety first.. flk k
Old 20-07-2016, 20:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We have friends with a Perry 47 in Corpus Christi. SV Second Star. Actually met them here on CF. you might be able to find them with a search.

Hello Bill, which of the two Port A marina's are you out of?? I am at the City Marina.. flk
Old 20-07-2016, 22:50   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

City Marina. Pier 3. "Merlin", with the black mast. We will be down this weekend, stop by for a cold beverage.

bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 07:18   #14

Hey Bill, I too am in the City Marina, and plan to do some work on my boat.. I will try to stop by..

flk k