Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 17:29   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: People who think cruising will be lollipops and unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd still rather try to dock a Cat with one engine, than my full keel under sail.
In honesty I wouldn't try to dock my boat, I'd anchor and dinghy in
While you would always prefer to have both engines functional (you may notice that there are hardly any catamaran folk participating in the other thread about med mooring in a 20 know crosswind - not hard in a cat), in fact, it's not that hard to dock a cat with one engine, although it is somewhat counter intuitive, and is greatly helped by having the rudder behind the prop. We practice it.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 17:36   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
People who think cruising will be lollipops and unicorns...

I have docked a Sportfisherman on one, and it's nearly impossible, sort of a slow, controlled crash, cause the rudders are almost completely ineffective at real slow speeds and on one, it sort of crabs sideways a little due to prop walk.
But at least you do have reverse, you wouldn't under sail.
I think if I ever have to do it with my boat, I'm going to do it under power with the dinghy as opposed to under sail, just not confident enough under sail and there is no bailout.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 17:55   #108

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
with the right lillipop you will be able to see unicorns
I'm from Colorado.......can I bring my lollipops with me? I promise to share.

We're not looking for lollipops and Unicorns, we ARE hoping to find deserted islands, beautiful sunsets and margaritas on the beach.

We will not retire, just quit the daily vicious circle and shove off. Hopefully all the work on the boat will get us some time to experience the cruising lifestyle for as long as we can.

When i go, i intend to go as i came into this world; naked, broke and screaming.
Or.... wore out, scarred up, broke and a ton of memories. Our happiest memories are from DOING things. Even if I fail at this cruisers lifestyle, it's better than wishing I'd tried it.

Enough with the tax BS...... get back to the OP's original question.......what was it again?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 18:03   #109

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post

We're not looking for lollipops and Unicorns, we ARE hoping to find deserted islands, beautiful sunsets and margaritas on the beach.

We will not retire, just quit the daily vicious circle and shove off. Hopefully all the work on the boat will get us some time to experience the cruising lifestyle for as long as we can.

When i go, i intend to go as i came into this world; naked, broke and screaming.
Or.... wore out, scarred up, broke and a ton of memories. Our happiest memories are from DOING things. Even if I fail at this cruisers lifestyle, it's better than wishing I'd tried it.

Enough with the tax BS...... get back to the OP's original question.......what was it again?

It's about the ride, not the destination, nobody gets out alive!
Thank you for wearing the uniform...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 19:32   #110

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post

Great post.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 19:33   #111
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"In honesty I wouldn't try to dock my boat, I'd anchor and dinghy in"
There can be wisdom in doing it that way.
I learned to sail off moorings, spent more time on moorings and docked bow-to. And then one night, I found out that I had to dock alongside a fuel dock in a space not a whole lot longer than the boat. Then and there.
It all gets easier with practice.

Having the wisdom to take a safe way out? Priceless.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 07:57   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have docked a Sportfisherman on one, and it's nearly impossible, sort of a slow, controlled crash, cause the rudders are almost completely ineffective at real slow speeds and on one, it sort of crabs sideways a little due to prop walk.
But at least you do have reverse, you wouldn't under sail.
I think if I ever have to do it with my boat, I'm going to do it under power with the dinghy as opposed to under sail, just not confident enough under sail and there is no bailout.
I lost an engine in my twin inboard sport cruiser on my way to a new marina. Getting it into the slip was not fun, especially with the harbor master and his wife watching. Finally, after about ten tries, it slid in like a glove-- into the slip next to the one he had assigned me! "That's good", he said. "But, your slip is the one next to it. That's somebody else's slip."

"Can't we just move his dock lines and reassign them, I pleaded."

Then more embarrassment. My harbor master jumped aboard, pulled it out and backed into my slip, as easily as I could when I had two engines.

I asked how he had learned to do that. "Delivering a lot of crappy boats," he said.

Tags
cruising