Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 13:43   #1

Pearls of Wisdom for a Future Liveaboard?

My husband and I are new to sailing but have decided to start saving up for a boat to live on with our son. We're thinking it will probably take us about 2 years to learn to sail and to save up $50k. Ultimately we are hoping to sail around along the US West Coast, Alaska, Japan, Hawaii...Costa Rica, Peru, Chile...

Is that crazy? Can we do this? Is that even enough money for something for three people?

Can anyone give me some guidance on what steps to take, or any pearls of wisdom you wish someone had imparted to you when you first got started?

Thanks!
EvanneKegley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 13:55   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Pearls of Wisdom for a Future Liveaboard?

Welcome to the forum..

Browse around and use the search button at the top. There are tons and tons of threads with the information you are seeking..

I'm doing it with my family of 5.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 14:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pearls of Wisdom for a Future Liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanneKegley View Post
My husband and I are new to sailing but have decided to start saving up for a boat to live on with our son. We're thinking it will probably take us about 2 years to learn to sail and to save up $50k. Ultimately we are hoping to sail around along the US West Coast, Alaska, Japan, Hawaii...Costa Rica, Peru, Chile...

Is that crazy? Can we do this? Is that even enough money for something for three people?

Can anyone give me some guidance on what steps to take, or any pearls of wisdom you wish someone had imparted to you when you first got started?

Thanks!
Before you do anything.. search Rebel Heart on here..
You will learn a lot and maybe.. just maybe you will tread more cautiously..
Best wishes,
Phil

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 14:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Boatman has a very good point, however I had never sailed before I bought our current boat, but I'm very cautious and have yet to do more than a 400 mile open water crossing, and it in the Gulf of Mexico, so well within easy SAR range. One day after I learn a whole lot more I hope to do the Pacific, but I have a lot to learn first.
Crawl, walk, then run.
Sailing is not rocket science, just go slowly and be cautious, and have an enormous respect for the power of weather.
Some will tell you 50K is plently, but not in my opinion, or at least not to go all those places you listed.
But a tremendous amount of how much money you will need is determined by you, just what are you willing to accept living wise and how resourceful are you at fixing and building things?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 14:37   #5

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

The answer to the budget Question is always "It depends."

-How small of a space can your family be comfortable in? The smaller the boat, the cheaper it will be to run.

-How much work can you do yourselves? Professionals get about $100/hr on the West Coast.

-How meticulous are you? Are you comfortable cleaning up your screws and bolts or will you want to replace them when you rebed deck hardware? Used sails or new? Some people even manage to scrounge standing rigging and spars.

-How many gadgets do you need? They are handy, but they are also pricey.

-Will you live at marinas, moorings or at anchor?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 14:47   #6

Quote:

Thanks!
Not crazy, as it's always nice to have a dream. That's where the cruising life begins, for most.

What have you told us so far? 1) Married, 2) child, 3) learning to sail, 4) hoping to have $50K in savings in two years, and 5) your hoped destinations.

What haven't you told us? 1) Your means of income after you set sail, 2) age of child (I presume young, or newborn), and 3) your annual budget post cast-off.

Before you dream much further, I highly suggest that you consider MONEY!! In the sailing world, $50K is a drop in the bucket ... especially for a family of three searching for an alternative lifestyle. Before you sell the farm, read the following thread (there are many others on the Net). Normal annual budgets for full-time live aboard cruising easily range $25K - $50K. Isn't $50K the TOTAL savings you hope to have in 2 years? If so, you're not even close.

Not to be a downer, yet you wanted pearls of wisdom. Here's your pearl.

Jimmy Cornell: What It Costs to Cruise - Cornell Sailing Events & Publications
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 15:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Not crazy, as it's always nice to have a dream. That's where the cruising life begins, for most.

What have you told us so far? 1) Married, 2) child, 3) learning to sail, 4) hoping to have $50K in savings in two years, and 5) your hoped destinations.

What haven't you told us? 1) Your means of income after you set sail, 2) age of child (I presume young, or newborn), and 3) your annual budget post cast-off.

Before you dream much further, I highly suggest that you consider MONEY!! In the sailing world, $50K is a drop in the bucket ... especially for a family of three searching for an alternative lifestyle. Before you sell the farm, read the following thread (there are many others on the Net). Normal annual budgets for full-time live aboard cruising easily range $25K - $50K. Isn't $50K the TOTAL savings you hope to have in 2 years? If so, you're not even close.

Not to be a downer, yet you wanted pearls of wisdom. Here's your pearl.

Jimmy Cornell: What It Costs to Cruise - Cornell Sailing Events & Publications
The 50k is just for the boat. After that we would probably live at a marina and continue working and learning to sail, taking long [~3 months] trips once a year or every couple of years. Our annual income is around 100k. Based on that article I think this is actually do-able, thank you.
EvanneKegley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 15:52   #8

Quote:
The 50k is just for the boat. After that we would probably live at a marina and continue working and learning to sail, taking long [~3 months] trips once a year or every couple of years. Our annual income is around 100k. Based on that article I think this is actually do-able, thank you.
Well, then. Good. Looks like you're all ready to be regulars at the marina supper club. Have fun sailing.

By the way, $50K is a little shy for a spiffy good-sized vessel for a family of three. But, hippy boaters often make due with a lot less.
Old 09-09-2015, 16:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bye the bye..
I am not knocking Rebel Heart.. he had a go and it fell apart.. **** happens..
However the benefit is it can all be read online.. and I'm pretty sure he'd be only to happy for someone else to learn from his experiences..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-09-2015, 16:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Bye the bye..
I am not knocking Rebel Heart.. he had a go and it fell apart.. **** happens..
However the benefit is it can all be read online.. and I'm pretty sure he'd be only to happy for someone else to learn from his experiences..
Actually, that was a ridiculous ill-planned little adventure. But hey, they eventually got their wake-up call. Good thing they didn't get too far offshore and US tax-payer dollars were there to bail them out when the proverbial s#*t hit the fan.
Old 09-09-2015, 16:22   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Thanks!
Howdy EvanneKegley and Welcome Aboard CF!

First, be prepared to see that there are many differences of opinion on an open forum like this. Some people will say one thing, and others will have a very different opinion of what is doable, what is right, or what is possible. So, don't be turned off if you find a few critical opinions. Take the time to really read into this forum and you will see that there are many different types of cruisers and sailors, some with big budgets (or dreams) and others with smaller budgets and goals. Each can find help here and are welcomed to participate.

The Liveaboard Forum here has many threads or discussions that can help you. That forum and this site really are a "Pearl Farm" of information.

Have fun!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 16:26   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy EvanneKegley and Welcome Aboard CF!

First, be prepared to see that there are many differences of opinion on an open forum like this. Some people will say one thing, and others will have a very different opinion of what is doable, what is right, or what is possible. So, don't be turned off if you find a few critical opinions. Take the time to really read into this forum and you will see that there are many different types of cruisers and sailors, some with big budgets (or dreams) and others with smaller budgets and goals. Each can find help here and are welcomed to participate.

The Liveaboard Forum here has many threads or discussions that can help you. That forum and this site really are a "Pearl Farm" of information.

Have fun!
Hey... I was being PC..
for a change..

Old 09-09-2015, 17:20   #13

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
The answer to the budget Question is always "It depends."

-How small of a space can your family be comfortable in? The smaller the boat, the cheaper it will be to run.

-How much work can you do yourselves? Professionals get about $100/hr on the West Coast.

-How meticulous are you? Are you comfortable cleaning up your screws and bolts or will you want to replace them when you rebed deck hardware? Used sails or new? Some people even manage to scrounge standing rigging and spars.

-How many gadgets do you need? They are handy, but they are also pricey.

-Will you live at marinas, moorings or at anchor?
That sounds about right to me. Personally, I would think $50K for purchase should find you something you can be happy on. Then the ballpark # that often gets thrown out is 50% of purchase price for refit. I'm meticulous and in my case it ended up being 100% on a well found boat.

Having the ability and patience to learn how to do most everything onboard yourself is a huge piece of the puzzle! It takes both time and money, but thankfully only a lot of one of them.

Well, maybe sometimes both.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 18:32   #14

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey... I was being PC..
for a change..
PC? Phil? Are you okay?
Old 09-09-2015, 19:05   #15

I would strongly recommend buying a small sailboat now. Something between 20 and 25ft. It should be big enough for all three of you to spend a weekend in"camping" mode. It will cost less than $10,000 and you'll be able to sell it in a few years for close to the same price - maybe more if you fix it up.

Because it's only a 2-3 year boat, you don't have to research the "perfect" boat. Almost anything will do.

The experience for all three of you from owning, fixing, and sailing this boat will answer far more questions than you'll ever get from studying books or the Internet.

Here's a nice Cal 25 on the West Coast
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979...s#.VfDlMnslVCM
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard