Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 07:06   #31

Re: "Peak Stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have many of my Fathers old slides, deal with slides were they were much higher resolution.
What I would like to find is the old 16mm film they made diving in the early 50's, when a lot of gear was home made.
He bought the camera and its custom made case down in the keys from the guy who had the tonight show before Johnny Carson.
I remember pictures of " sleeping sharks" decades before Jacques Cousteau discovered them

I would like to get our pictures and slides converted to digital format, just do you have to send it off, and what does it cost?
Yes, I know, I have tons of them and remember why I chose to do that.

Carsten in #29 and others discuss possibilities for scanning, both at home or sending them out. But Carsten's in Europe.

I'd use Google. Indeed, I may do that later today, a64, if I find anything, in addition to the Canon suggestions, I'll let you know.

Stu
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The problem with memory sticks is they are not very reliable, and easy to lose.

And they are too small to store significant volumes of data including movies (even your own videos), and music.

I have a 2TB freestanding hard drive connected to my boat's wifi router, configured as a media server. No problem using it in the middle of the ocean. Cost less than $100.
I'm not much of a movie watcher while on the boat but your solution is the right one for those who need their flicks. But the main reason I like to compartmentalize my digital storage is so I don't lose all of it at once (short of buying lots of 2TB drives). Today's sticks also come in 128GB and higher and while not as price competitive as 2TB drives still more than large enough for my purposes.

Also for the budget minded. A computer savvy friend has recently shown me a great way to re-purpose old broken or just too slow notebooks. Has to be SAT drive as the very old non-SAT drives allegedly will not work. But as long as the hard drive is intact (and most of the time it's something else which breaks or the system is just too slow for modern software) you can pull it out just as you pull out a memory stick and get a SAT drive case from your neighborhood computer store, Micro Center for example, often for under $10, under $5 when on sale, stick your old drive in and voila - you have a back up with all your old computer info, all of it.

In an emergency you connect your cellphone to this drive in a case via USB cable and you can download whichever file needed to your phone or pad. Not a very high tech solution but in an emergency or as a 2nd back up works fine. Plus usually these drives are not full so you can add add'l info on it as needed.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 12:20   #33

Boat: Grady-White Gulfstream 23'

As for photos, I'd recommend two forms of back up -- one being the aforementioned thumb drive, the other being on one of several on-line photos services (such as Snapfish, Shutterfly...), up in the "cloud" thus they're retrievable from anywhere. You can also share the password access with a trusted family member so they can be available to them should you disappear into the Bermuda Triangle. Yes, always the risk of hacking, but there is no such thing as privacy anymore anyway.
SeaYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 12:34   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

20 or more years ago I bought a "box" that had a screen on it and you could play your films and project them and or slides on it while videoing them, as well as place pictures in the box and do the same. Did it and copied them onto VHS for my Mother if that tells you how long ago, but you could tell it was a picture of a picture if that makes sense.
What I'd like to find is a professional service that could do a better job for a price of course.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 21:33   #35

Wink Classic Advice (especially applicable to boaters!)

“Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.” Jerome Jerome, Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) (1889).
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 21:55   #36

The summer we moved onto the boat, we had 4 garage sales and took half a dozen pickup loads to the goodwill along with giving stuff to friends and family.

PS: Not crazy about thumb drives for permanent storage but thumb drives are still very useful for sharing stuff back and froth when in the room. Last week had meeting with a tech firm (they are putting in a new server room). We all had internet access but after waiting 10min for the email to come back from electronic limbo, he pulled out a thumb drive and copied the file in question over.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:45   #37

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Not sure about the planet, but I've passed my own "Peak Stuff" (love that term!) and am on the downward slope.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:03   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Retired JAN. 15 and we are still throwing stuff out!

Good grief.

Hope to be outta the apt. this week, then a couple of weeks final chores, then SOUTHWARD BOUND.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:14   #39

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Kind of related: I was running home after doing my loop, and one of my neighbors was throwing out trashcans full of marine gear. I retrieved a perfectly good boathook (crew are always dropping those #%@*ing things overboard) and waterproof ammo box-type storage container for flares and such. It's okay to collect stuff if it's boat-related, right? Or maybe I have a problem ... that will be the third back-up boathook on board.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 17:28   #40

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Where are these magic cans??????
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 17:45   #41

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Where are these magic cans??????

Every time I go by there is something new! Just picked up a new to me boarding ladder. Aye yi yi. All the rest of my things fit into a 4 foot by 4 foot space in my parents' basement, but I can't help myself with boat gear! This must be the boat spring cleaning I've heard so much about.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 18:16   #42

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Grrrrrr!!
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote