Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 05:35   #16

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Re: PARROTS AS PETS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Parrots bond with their owners quite intensely. Having such a bird is a lifelong commitment. Do keep his wings clipped. I know someone who lost his bird by not being diligent on keeping its wings clipped.
So I guess the bond wasn't so intense as to keep the bird from flying away.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 05:55   #17

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainsWench View Post
We will be a liveaboard the end of April, and have a double yellow headed Parrot. He has been with us for 20 years. Thoughts and advice on bringing him aboard. Does anyone else have a Parrot and is a liveaboard?
A friend of mine keeps a parrot aboard his boat. Hangs the cage from the bimini frame most of the time. He doesn't seem to have a problem with the authorities in the Caribbean.

One thing you want to watch out for though is that the parrot is a great pick-up tool. Everytime my friend needs a new 'first mate', the parrot gets taken ashore to the nearest bar. Works every time

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 06:42   #18

Boat: 2001 Helsen Hunter 47-1/2

Blue, how long did you have him? Was he okay when you gave him away?
CaptainsWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 06:53   #19

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Another factor to take into account: Parrots are very emotionally aware animals and they tend to only bond to one human (like your husband). So, loving your husband and being nasty to you is not unusual. Separating hubby and bird at this point will certainly be emotionally traumatic for the bird. The bird won't be any more interested in your best friend than it is in you -- it want's it's human "mate".

I've seen this done to a few parrots -- it can be tragically sad -- like an abandoned child. And, can manifest itself in the parrot's physical and emotional health. Please don't dump the bird with your best friend just because it is more "convenient" for you.
Totally agree with all of the above. We have 2, a Spectacled Amazon and a Blue Crown Conure and have had both for over 20 years. It was more trouble and expense to get them out of the US and into Thailand than it was ourselves. But in our mind there was no other option ... they are indeed a lifetime commitment.

As for moving them from country to country, you need to check the CITES regulations if yours is on the endangered list and I think most all Amazons are. Both of our are on the list. And if you can avoid countries with an Avian Flu history.

We keep ours clipped and in a cage if they are anywhere other than down below in the cabin. Also, we keep a crab net handy in case one should end up in the water.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:27   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
So true.

We had an Orange wing Amazon that took a liking to me that would scream bloody murder if I had a phone conversation, while not standing at the cage, looking at it.
It totally disregarded my wife, but would invert and display its full tail feathers at a simple fan type hand signal from me.
We eventually had to part with it to a friends aviary.
First sign of stress is when they start to pull their neck feathers out.

Something this reminded me of is that parrots are gender conscious. They tend to bond to humans of the opposite gender (not always but tend to).

Your Orange-Wing was probably a female. The OP's "Fred" is probably female too.

I have a female African Grey and no one can touch her but me.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 07:34   #21

FRED is a Double Yellow Headed Parrot. When we let him out of his cage, he actually seeks me out to attack me. I feed him, give him water and talk to him the most, but he has been with my hubby alot longer than I have. He will take food from my hand, but only if he is caged. He talks alot and his favorite words are WHAAAATTTT's UUUPPPP and WHAT. We both love FRED and we are still trying to decide if he moves aboard with us or not. I appreciate everyone's comments. I never thought I would get so much response. Thanks to all.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:36   #22

Quote:
FRED is a Double Yellow Headed Parrot. When we let him out of his cage, he actually seeks me out to attack me. I feed him, give him water and talk to him the most, but he has been with my hubby alot longer than I have. He will take food from my hand, but only if he is caged. He talks alot and his favorite words are WHAAAATTTT's UUUPPPP and WHAT. We both love FRED and we are still trying to decide if he moves aboard with us or not. I appreciate everyone's comments. I never thought I would get so much response. Thanks to all.
HE ALSO SAYS HIS NAME "FRED" all DAY LONG. LOL
Old 22-03-2012, 07:49   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
HE ALSO SAYS HIS NAME "FRED" all DAY LONG. LOL
Just my own curiosity, do you know "Fred's" gender for sure?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 07:52   #24

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Im always in favor of emergency rations.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 07:53   #25

Quote:
We will be a liveaboard the end of April, and have a double yellow headed Parrot. He has been with us for 20 years. Thoughts and advice on bringing him aboard. Does anyone else have a Parrot and is a liveaboard?
I can think of no more suitable pet for a sailor, than a parrot. Can you train him to say "pieces of eight, pieces of eight"?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 07:56   #26

We never had a DNA test by a VET to determine his sex which is the only way to find out his gender for sure, but everything we read regarding size implies he is a Male.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Im always in favor of emergency rations.
His is not fat enough for emergency rations.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I can think of no more suitable pet for a sailor, than a parrot. Can you train him to say "pieces of eight, pieces of eight"?
HA HA, I can try. He is pretty smart.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:03   #29

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

And watch what ya teach em to say !! Mine was ruined before I inherited him from my Dad!! he could sure get ya free drinks in most any bar !!LOL Connie would refuse to go with him whenever we were in Mexico, cus his spanish was just so Nasty !! LOL we both loved that old bird!! we miss him, but not enough to replace him LOL
Old 22-03-2012, 08:11   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
And watch what ya teach em to say !! Mine was ruined before I inherited him from my Dad!! he could sure get ya free drinks in most any bar !!LOL Connie would refuse to go with him whenever we were in Mexico, cus his spanish was just so Nasty !! LOL we both loved that old bird!! we miss him, but not enough to replace him LOL
Bob, did he pass away or did you give him away?

Tags
pets