Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 16:48   #46

Boat: 2001 Helsen Hunter 47-1/2
Re: PARROTS AS PETS

Ahhhhh.
CaptainsWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 18:10   #47
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
So I guess the bond wasn't so intense as to keep the bird from flying away.

The boat was moving. Birds fly. they didn't find each other again. It can happen even with a strong bond.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 19:47   #48

CW - I think you are keeping him!
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 08:44   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
The boat was moving. Birds fly. they didn't find each other again. It can happen even with a strong bond.
My parrots fly sometimes when they get spooked, but they have no interest in going anywhere. Since they don't get out much, they are not sure what to do when they find themselves in a nearby tree and we have to go retrieve them.

Off a moving boat....well that's totally different...not such a good idea to have them out when under way.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 19:29   #50

Boat: CSY 37
Re: Parrots as Pets

I'm not a live aboard but I have gone on two 2-month trips and several shorter trips with my 2 parrots, an African Grey and an Eclectus. Accommodating my birds on board has taken a lot of consideration and patience from my sweet husband, but he knows if I go, they go. After lots of trial and error we've come up with a setup that works very well for us. We bought the largest aluminum travel cages we could find (I got mine at windycityparrot.com) and mounted them off the stern, using the trays as roofs to block the sun. This accomplishes many things: the mess blows away! the droppings fall in the water! The birds are close to us all day and outside, and are happier for it. They are out of the way when we need to work on something. If it's a nice day but too windy, I just put up a wind block for them (usually a towel and clothespins). At night, in inclement weather, or just rough water, down into the salon they go into their converted chihuahua-sized travel cages with attached nest boxes for sleeping. They also have a small travel perch I can set up in the cockpit when the enclosure is up, and one of them loves to sit on the winch handle (I wrapped it with rope so he can grip it). My husband rarely handles one of my birds and never the other; let your husband continue to be the primary caregiver. If the bird ever comes to you it will do it in its own time and it will be a gift to you. Trying to force acceptance will make for a very long road for all of you!
German Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 22:47   #51

Boat: Catalina 36
So is there a way to train a parrot or conure to stay near uncaged? I am thinking about getting a sun conure on my Catalina 36. It would be great if it was not caged and could be part of the family but I am not sure about all that. If there were a strong enough bond could the conure be kept aboard without a cage? This may take work and lots of time and those are the considerations I am taking into account with the decision. Any experienced owners that live aboard with their parrots advice would be appreciated.
-B
Tide Roller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pets