Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 07:33   #1

Boat: n/a yet...
Parking the dinghey

Here's my dilema:
I am planning on purchasing a boat and crusing extensively within 1.5 years. I was thinking it would be better to buy something now (pending I find what I'm looking for) so that instead of wasting money on rent every month I can put that same money into the boat loan. The problem is that I won't be able to afford a boat loan AND slip rental, but somehow I will still need to get to and from shore every day to get to work. Using the dinghey is the obvious answer for this but here's the problem: What/where do you do/put the thing all day? I need to find a way to get to and from everyday without it costing me anything. Any suggestions? I was thinking I could talk to a marina...maybe a couple of hours of work on the weekends could secure me a safe area to park the dinghey while I'm at work during the week... What about parking it on a beach and dragging it/locking it to something? Any advice would be great!!
Macopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:00   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Some marinas will charge a small fee to use their dinghy dock. That might also include use of showers, and laundry facilities. They can't take you out, and shoot you for asking!!!!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Some marinas will charge a small fee to use their dinghy dock. That might also include use of showers, and laundry facilities. They can't take you out, and shoot you for asking!!!!!!!!!!!
Marina's actually have a dinghy dock? Interesting and I guess intuitive as well. How else would those mooring access their facilities!?! I will have to look into that.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:56   #4

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I wanted to go into a long rant about the evils of loans and the probable availablity of boats within you price range without a loan, but that's not the topic here, I'll skip that.

One idea might be to make a friend that owns waterfront property. Maybe offer a small monthly fee and occasional trips out on the boat in return for letting you park your dinghy and maybe a vehicle on their property.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:05   #5
Kai Nui

Just be careful of the pitfalls. Boats are cheap to buy and expensive to own. If the cost of a slip is daunting, consider the cost of replacing a jib that blows out, or some other catastrophic event that could make your boat un-usable. Your plans are up to you, and it is not hard to find a way to get back and forth. In fact, some moorings have water taxis that are very reasonable, and convenient, but the bigger issue is that you may be looking at a purchase that will not allow you the financial room to enjoy it.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
Just be careful of the pitfalls. Boats are cheap to buy and expensive to own. If the cost of a slip is daunting, consider the cost of replacing a jib that blows out, or some other catastrophic event that could make your boat un-usable. Your plans are up to you, and it is not hard to find a way to get back and forth. In fact, some moorings have water taxis that are very reasonable, and convenient, but the bigger issue is that you may be looking at a purchase that will not allow you the financial room to enjoy it.
I appreciate your advice. I agree that it is important to find a way to use and live on my boat that doesn't kill the experience. As I mentioned, an expensive boat payment in the effort to pay it off quickly is fine...that coupled with slip costs in my area starting at $800+/month isn't. I have not checked on the cost of moorings or looked at water taxis/dinghey docks. All very interesting avenues.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:39   #7

It depends on where you are! What state are in? I can give you some advice about bringing your dink to shore when your not supposed too!
mermaidserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:57   #8

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm in St. Petersburg, FL but work in downtown Tampa, FL. Advice on what to do when you're not supposed to bring your dinghey to shore would be greatly appreciated. Basically, when I do set out, it will be with a small contingency in the bank but I will be trying to work some at certain locales. Knowing tricks now while working in Tampa AND while I'm abroad will be extremely useful.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:28   #9

Well your lucky that you live in Florida. It is much easier to pull your dingy to shore and tie it somewhere where people won't mind! I would recommend dinghy dock highly! But in case you run out of money like I did living on the boat, You better know your anchorage! Where ever you are your boat will likely be on the hook in an anchorage! The first month you are there I would get dinghy dock and let the locals get to know you and your vessels! This way assuming everyone likes you you will probably be able to get away with not paying a fee here and there. Also during that first month you ought to get to know the shore in your area! Take your dinghy around and find all the spots that you can sneak into shore and tie up to a nice rock or something! Make sure there aren't too many houses! The people who live on the water do NOT look kindly on us live-aboards, they see us as bums! try to get in a place where some people like to fish or something, Also protecting your dinghy is an issue you may come back to no dinghy! They are a hot item I would at least either take your motor with you! You may be able to make a friend who lives on the water and have a safe spot but life is tough when you don't play by the rules even on the water! Dinghy dock is your best bet! But If the dockmaster or the locals know you to be a good guy you find yourself only paying dinghy dock every other month or once in a while! Plus in Florida dinghy dock is usually cheap! And the state is very sailor friendly!

Hope this helped a little even though it is a little bleak!
Old 07-05-2008, 13:02   #10

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
Macopa,

I am down in Bradenton Beach. I did a quick googlemap sat view and located an anchorage...

tampa bay - Google Maps

Magnify the area around Severn Ave. Just south of the airport. I'm not sure if there is a mooring field but the anchoring pattern looks like the boats are just anchored out. Don't know how old the sat photo is...

There may be a dinghy dock at the adjacent marina. In any event, drive over and check it out...you can probably find someone to give you further advice and info.

cheers,
mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 13:06   #11

Sat pics great Idea!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 13:09   #12

Mermaidserena & mangomuffins, thank you very much! I didn't think of the Sat view on Google...good call. I am definitely going to look at that area.
Old 07-05-2008, 14:32   #13

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
I have found the sat views on google maps to be very helpful and interesting.
LMK what you find.

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 15:31   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Inflating/deflating can be a pain in the neck but...

I used to use an inflatable when I kept a yacht on a mooring.

Blew it up and let it down and kept it in the boot of my car. I didn't have an outboard though.

At the moment I use the worlds most trashed dinghy as Sydney seems to be the dinghy theft capital of the world. It's really only a harbour "lifeboat" though.

What I am considering at the moment is an 9' aluminium dinghy with a 5+hp outboard. This should plane with two onboard, giving a speed of from 10 to 15 knots. In a place where many things are close to the water a car may not be necessary.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:50   #15

Interesting on the inflatable. Were you going to shore everyday? I imagine inflating/deflating on a daily basis would get old. I can't believe Sydney is that bad for dinghys!! *Note to self.

Checked into a local marina last night (St. Petersburg Municipal Marina). There's a 44 month waiting list for a permenent slip, the rates of which are ~$350. There is room on their "transit" dock but there's a 3 month minimum and the monthly cost is ~$750. Are these costs and a waiting list typical? I am liking more and more the idea of anchoring somewhere safe/protected and then taking the dinghy into a marina somewhere that has a dinghy dock. I figure MAYBE a day of work for them on the weekend could secure me a safe place to park it. Who knows... An inflatable that I could throw in my Jeep is another possability but I think I'd quickly grow tired of inflating/deflating. Anyone have shoes that can walk on water?