Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-07-2015, 08:04   #16

Re: outfitting a Cruising boat help

Since, as you might have guessed, many of these topics have been covered before by people in the same boat as you (!), in addition to the fine answers here, you could do individual searches on boots, weather gear">foul weather gear, dinghies, etc. Anything in the past five years is pretty much valid. Blogs, as suggested by Robb, have a great deal of information from those who have chosen to document their choices and reasons. Read, read, then read some more. Good luck, you have the time.

Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 11:30   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: outfitting a Cruising boat help

Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
I also would like to hear peoples opinions:

-what brand of foul weather gear
-find boat shoes that are affordable
-what kind of dinghies
-what size boat is needed for davits
-what stove fuel
-what galley layout
.................................................. ..
-We don't select "name brand" foul weather gear, but shop off the rack. This cheaper route is satisfactory for us because we don't cruise in the colder regions and many less expensive coverings are nearly, or as good, as the expensive well-advertised brands.
-Once again, I shop for the features,- well-fitting non-skid & non-marring soles. I now have Sperry Topsiders that I picked up on sale. I have some "Crocs", but I find that they tend to slip and roll under on a wet and moving deck.
-We us a Carribe RBI, but I do like those new aluminum AB RBIs. In my opinion the RBIs provide the best stability for the least weight. For less weight, I choose the single and not the double floors.
-I agree with the 45' need for davits with lighter weight boats, but my stainless steel 2.5" pipe davits fit very well on my 13'10" beam heavy Morgan 41'. Boat design matters as well as length with this question.
-Propane in locker or mount with overboard gas leak feature and a cut-off solenoid at the tank & switch in the galley with a single run of quality hose is mandatory.
-a galley that is separate from the main saloon and with a means to stand well braced or secure while your hands are free.

Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: