Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 18:18   #826

Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Castle View Post
  1. When did San Diego ever get a hurricane? Oriental got Irene two years ago that raised the water level nine feet.
  2. demonize - please get a grip! OP is being obnoxious, and the French boat is here past their visa, harassing people, and stealing. This is a matter of public record.
  3. Please, before posting, attempt some knowledge about the situation, because is obvious you are speaking from none! psneed is local as am I.
You are speaking from ignorance of the area as your comments indicate. You are assuming this issue stems from condescension when it stems from reasonable consideration.

Might be wise to do some research before spouting off like that.
This discussion is about an issue I know more about than you and Psneed together will ever have the necessary experience to know. And, you're very right when you say you are obnoxious. It's also very entertaining for you to have missed the fact I was stuck in Texas, A HURRICANE ZONE. And the reason I was stuck is because of San Diego's anchoring restrictions.

The prevalent theme in this conversation, in posts by you, bluecrab, psneed and others 'harassing' the OP, and others who've had no voice in all of this, has been to demonize them. Words like bums, squatters and more have been used freely. You people need to expand on your vocabulary and learn some manners.

It's surprising since Psneed and you are 'locals', neither of you know precisely how many anchors are deployed by each of the subject boats. Neither have you provided any useful information about the precise locations in relation to depth where each of the boats are anchored. There is a photo in this thread showing the French boat obviously aground. Is this a spot where other so called 'cruisers' would anchor? If not, dumping on the French boat, irrespective of their personal issues, is a red herring.

Still, although I posed the question, none of you critics have said you have personally talked to any - save GVH in this forum - of the other boaters. Not one of you claim to have asked them to omit an anchor or move to a spot where using more than one anchor is o.k..

Seems to me you and the other discontented posters including psneed and blue crab have failed to obtain vitally important information you should know before 'spouting off' about things you are only guessing about.
Old 23-09-2013, 18:27   #827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
...another 120 or so more posts...then this thread can go to heaven; when it reaches the 1000 mark! Telling the truth should NOT take so many REEMS of pages to tell! I sense a lot of frustration being vented out. In the end, what has been accomplished? I like posts that share experiences and knowledge, not whiny ones that serve no purpose.

Mauritz
Yes! The mule must be deaf!
C'mon Teknav, it's only data. Plenty of unused storage space on CF's servers. Besides, at least for me the issue does not begin and end with Oriental. It is of nationwide concern, and due to restrictions being imosed everywhere my lifestyle is threatened. It's worth wringing out and raking over the coals. Exposes the reason these restrictions are spreading, and it ain't people like the French.
Old 23-09-2013, 18:34   #828

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
This discussion is about an issue I know more about than you and Psneed together will ever have the necessary experience to know. And, you're very right when you say you are obnoxious. It's also very entertaining for you to have missed the fact I was stuck in Texas, A HURRICANE ZONE. And the reason I was stuck is because of San Diego's anchoring restrictions.

The prevalent theme in this conversation, in posts by you, bluecrab, psneed and others 'harassing' the OP, and others who've had no voice in all of this, has been to demonize them. Words like bums, squatters and more have been used freely. You people need to expand on your vocabulary and learn some manners.

It's surprising since Psneed and you are 'locals', neither of you know precisely how many anchors are deployed by each of the subject boats. Neither have you provided any useful information about the precise locations in relation to depth where each of the boats are anchored. There is a photo in this thread showing the French boat obviously aground. Is this a spot where other so called 'cruisers' would anchor? If not, dumping on the French boat, irrespective of their personal issues, is a red herring.

Still, although I posed the question, none of you critics have said you have personally talked to any - save GVH in this forum - of the other boaters. Not one of you claim to have asked them to omit an anchor or move to a spot where using more than one anchor is o.k..

Seems to me you and the other discontented posters including psneed and blue crab have failed to obtain vitally important information you should know before 'spouting off' about things you are only guessing about.
Ranting incoherently, 3000 miles away, does not a salient post make. Your points are all wrong, Wrong, at least keep up with the conversation.
Old 23-09-2013, 18:42   #829

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Wrong! Did you run out of coconut ice cream? I'm testing a new flavor that I'm churning the old fashion way; mango/pineapple combo ice cream. Just smelling the new concoction will add to your waist 1000+ calories! Life is too short...down the hatch!

Mauritz
No anchoring problems "mun"!
Old 23-09-2013, 18:45   #830

Point 2.

The OP has got the brass ones to state his point whether anyone likes it or not. I tip my hat. His logic pompously grandiose, his data inaccurate, his photographic examples hopelessly obsolete, he sticks to his guns. And moreover, he's legally correct.

At least he's got the stones to take on this unruly mob.

Honestly, I think he likes being the center of attention.

Old 23-09-2013, 18:51   #831

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim r View Post
is Sand Castle the old sailboat tied up at the dock across form the coffee shop - .....with a girl ???
I can assure you, that would be incorrect.

What does the girl look like?
Old 24-09-2013, 03:24   #832

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Another internet genius that doesn't know one thing about me (like labeling me a local) other than I disagree....doesn't read posts closely enough to know the different flavors of the posters real intent or true experience with the situation...and yet can judge whether I'll ever have enough experience at something that's not even been defined in this mega-thread.

How that post is ever going to be taken seriously...I don't know.
Old 24-09-2013, 04:01   #833

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Another internet genius that doesn't know one thing about me (like labeling me a local) other than I disagree....doesn't read posts closely enough to know the different flavors of the posters real intent or true experience with the situation...and yet can judge whether I'll ever have enough experience at something that's not even been defined in this mega-thread.

How that post is ever going to be taken seriously...I don't know.
Agreed. Wrong needs a boost to get on that high of a horse. It appears that he feels he's the real kind of liveaboard cruiser. I'll give him credit for his sailing exploits, if true, but a circumnavigation AND $3.25 will get you a brew at my fav pub. And some of us have been doing this anchoring out trick a very long time, and many of us prefer the more humble approach to this anonymous soapbox. All too many of Wrong's posts in other threads are purely argumentative. His posts here are good examples. I guess I'm a local of sorts, and that includes actually seeing what's what in Oriental. It ain't purty. It's wrong.

And don't get me started on how many legal things are also just plain wrong.

That said, these constant arguments grow tiresome. The OP has stayed pleasant in spite of it all, and I admire that. As the OP states, we have very high water these days. Dunno why. Is the Moon in Jupiter or something?

Peace folks.
Old 24-09-2013, 04:08   #834

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I don't want the harbor clear of boats....I just want it clear of people who have no intention of ever leaving...I just want a fair shake at getting a spot when I do arrive..or anyone else for that matter.

And if you are paying close attention...I have really never referred to these boats as undesirables except to the extent they think they have a right to hog the harbor...if they were cruisers who moved every couple of weeks...I couldn't care less who or what they are...as long as they aren't anchorage hogs....
I'd like to someday sail my boat into Oriental harbor. When that day might be, I don't know. Until that time comes, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Your earlier posts have conveyed very clearly that you want certain boats out of the harbor (thus my term "undesirables") so when that day comes you might sail into the harbor, there will be a place for you to anchor your boat and you'll get your fair shake at an anchorage.

You and I seemingly have something in common - right now neither of has any immediate plans to visit Oriental harbor. We also have something else in common, along with practically everyone else participating on this thread - we have no idea where these three boats will be tomorrow or the next day or the next and we have no idea if they planned to move on before our potential arrival date. If that day ever comes.

Yet you and I seem to have opposing views on those boats and their owners. You want them out and I see no harm in them staying, even though we are both equally affected by whatever decisions they make. In other words, neither of us are at all affected until that day arrives when we may have to choose to rent a slip or move on because there is no room to drop the anchor. And even if all three left, we have no idea if other boats will be there in their place when, and if, that day ever comes when we sail into Oriental harbor.

There are also people participating here who are opposed to these boats staying who are in the same reality as you and I - they don't know when that time will come when they want that anchorage and they have no idea what the plans of the boat owners are. And I suspect some don't own and never even plan on owning a boat, let alone an anchor. Yet they feel the need to pipe in and campaign against the boat "bums" (your term, not mine).

So why such great interest of ridding the harbor of the boat "bums"? And how can you even label them bums when you don't even know them?
Old 24-09-2013, 04:28   #835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I'd like to someday sail my boat into Oriental harbor. When that day might be, I don't know. Until that time comes, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Your earlier posts have conveyed very clearly that you want certain boats out of the harbor (thus my term "undesirables") so when that day comes you might sail into the harbor, there will be a place for you to anchor your boat and you'll get your fair shake at an anchorage.

You and I seemingly have something in common - right now neither of has any immediate plans to visit Oriental harbor. We also have something else in common, along with practically everyone else participating on this thread - we have no idea where these three boats will be tomorrow or the next day or the next and we have no idea if they planned to move on before our potential arrival date. If that day ever comes.

Yet you and I seem to have opposing views on those boats and their owners. You want them out and I see no harm in them staying, even though we are both equally affected by whatever decisions they make. In other words, neither of us are at all affected until that day arrives when we may have to choose to rent a slip or move on because there is no room to drop the anchor. And even if all three left, we have no idea if other boats will be there in their place when, and if, that day ever comes when we sail into Oriental harbor.

There are also people participating here who are opposed to these boats staying who are in the same reality as you and I - they don't know when that time will come when they want that anchorage and they have no idea what the plans of the boat owners are. And I suspect some don't own and never even plan on owning a boat, let alone an anchor. Yet they feel the need to pipe in and campaign against the boat "bums" (your term, not mine).

So why such great interest of ridding the harbor of the boat "bums"? And how can you even label them bums when you don't even know them?
Funny...people that have been around a lot....and have been living on or near the water a lot (of course I haven't been either according to Lord Wrong)..

THE TERM "BOATBUM" ISN'T DEROGATORY around people who are around boats a lot....those in the know know what it means...those that don't are "offended" by the term...when you get it...let me know.....

My posts most of the way through this thread weren't derogatory at all (except maybe referring to stubbornness)...I just want the boats to move along after THEIR fair shake at enjoying Oriental....seem to me and quite a few others seem to think that time has come and gone.

If their are prejudiced people posting about these boaters...well I can't be bothered....that's their issue not mine...I could care less about the people or the boats...if the Mayor had a megayacht in the harbor for a year...my posts would be exactly the same for the most part...

And as far as labeling someone a bum....(which I really don't think I did and if I did...sorry I really meant it in the fashion "boat bum").....it's kinda like a duck...if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...what else would the average person call it?
Old 24-09-2013, 04:30   #836

At this point I am dying to see a show of hands from the people whining about the Oriental Four who have ever up-anchored and moved their boat so someone else could 'share' a tight anchorage.

Anyone? Didn't think so.

Any assertions that the anchorage is intended for short stops are false. It was built by the ACOE for commerce and defense. In the absence of any laws to the contrary its use is of a first come first serve basis. Someone will always be there before you because it is a small anchorage made smaller by a development.

If you are a power boater and park in the anchorage, when you could park in the creek, you are as selfish as those you protest because you are taking a spot away from a sailor who cannot fit under the bridge. Doubtful you have a rowing dink, maybe you are saving the environment by not motoring your lazy butt so far to get to town?

Share and share alike? Not likely.
Old 24-09-2013, 04:38   #837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
At this point I am dying to see a show of hands from the people whining about the Oriental Four who have ever up-anchored and moved their boat so someone else could 'share' a tight anchorage.

Anyone?
big difference between sharing (upping anchor) the same day and overstaying a long visit and moving along....

which apples to apples comparison do you want to make?
Old 24-09-2013, 04:41   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post

Anyone? Didn't think so.

Any assertions that the anchorage is intended for short stops is false. It was built by the ACOE for commerce and defense. In the absence of any laws to the contrary its use is of a first come first serve basis. Someone will always be there before you because a development was built which enchroached upon the anchorage and took away your parking spot. Get over it!
people...either land based or cruisers DON'T have to get over it.

we have just as much right to express our opinions than people have the "right" to permanently anchor there.

if it's taken as a witch hunt and the cruisers feel pressure to move (which the OP says isn't an issue for him)...then so what? If nothing illegal is done in either direction..then so what...get over it...
Old 24-09-2013, 04:42   #839
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Sweet Post Julie...
When you do sail into Oriental you'll find a pleasant sleepy little town... most are in bed by 2130... more likely the reason why everywhere except the 'Twin Towers' closes early... no customers.
As for the 'No Noise' rule that's been claimed exists... rarely seen it applied.. even when 60 or so residents and cruisers gathered to see in the New Year... and it went on till the early hours round a huge fire in a public space with booze and Tennessee Ronnie's famous 'Hog Roast'..
The reason the 'Twin Towers' stays late is its a Pizza House 1st and a bar second and used mainly by the younger crowd who are not into M&M's 'Wrinkly Scene'.... pool, loud Rock and its outa town with no neighbours... tho' maybe that's changed over the last 7yrs..
Its a nice place... if it was not the guy who's doing all the moaning and groaning about being hard done by would move on to Beaufort and the joys of Taylors Creek and the 'Back Street Pub' etc... there's even free cars to be had there
But no... he's choosing to stay on and move back to Green Creek... much thunder but no storm..
This seems to me more a Personal Axe to grind with a lot of folk doing the CF thing and jumping on the band wagon... with little actual knowledge of the town or its people...
Give it a Bludi Rest....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 24-09-2013, 04:51   #840

After 840 posts, what are we arguing about again?
Attached Images

Closed Thread