Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 16:56   #526
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

They were not prosecuted. They (she) was released. No charges.

According to the article.

And like Boatman said. Hungry does not beget stealing coffee.
Nor does fermenting revolution by refusing to pay your taxes that the king decided.

Needs must an all that

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 16:59   #527

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I'm not condoning theft , but I would like to hear what's the real issues. Nor am I condoning breaking any harbour ordinances. Apply the relevant laws without fear or favour. But of course where no such laws exist , well then, sorry , its time to change that or put up.

Do these people owe debt. Again I don't beleive so.

It may simply be they have run out of options. No one here has reported that they talked to the French boat or discovered why they can't move.

Dave
Then you need to go back to the beginning and read a few links. It all there and if you knew it then, well, who knows what you would say.

You seem to think some of us are just heartless pricks that want to throw all the bums out (whatever that may mean) but you are missing the main point of all of it.

By not moving on and using a starter and a few gallons of diesel as the excuse they are taking advantage. Some think that is just wrong. That's all.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:01   #528
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Then you need to go back to the beginning and read a few links. It all there and if you knew it then, well, who knows what you would say.

You seem to think some of us are just heartless pricks that want to throw all the bums out (whatever that may mean) but you are missing the main point of all of it.

By not moving on and using a starter and a few gallons of diesel as the excuse they are taking advantage. Some think that is just wrong. That's all.
Then why not pass laws to control the anchorage , then when they run foul of them , proceed accordingly.

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 17:04   #529
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

But hang on a minute... I was a down and out last year in Perth as well...
And I bummed money off CF to get me outa the **** and back home...
Sheesh.... guess I'm as bad as them after all...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:08   #530

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
So did she steal it or not. ??? Court doesn't seem to think so.

Dave
There was no court.

Now you get to say that since she was not prosecuted and found guilty she is innocent and since that is the case it can not be used against her.

Well, too bad for you.

It is obvious she did what is said and just because the store chose not to press charges in the end does not mean it did not happen.

But I am pretty sure you will be on your high and rightous horse in a minute.

The bottom line is the same. They overstayed their welcome and are just rude now. Regardless what the law says, they should be on their way.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:09   #531

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
So did she steal it or not. ??? Court doesn't seem to think so.

Dave
The woman stole the goods, but the kind people at the store were kind enough to not press charges if she agreed to be banned from the store. I was in Oriental a few years ago when a similar thing happened to a local woman who could not afford food for her kids. The store owners have been very generous to these people. Their kindness should not be confused with innocence on he part of the offender.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:11   #532

Quote:
Then why not pass laws to control the anchorage , then when they run foul of them , proceed accordingly.

Dave
It'll happen. Sooner or later like is happening all over.

That is one of the main things the first post was about.

You just jumped in in the middle and started swinging your sword.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:13   #533

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

For those of you who missed earlier posts or did not read the story of the french boat on towndock.net, the boat apparently has a bad starter on the diesel, is out of diesel fuel, and apparently the french government has stopped sending the couple their retirement checks. That is why they haven't left and are out of money. How much of this is true, I have no way of knowing.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:13   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The woman stole the goods, but the kind people at the store were kind enough to not press charges if she agreed to be banned from the store. I was in Oriental a few years ago when a similar thing happened to a local woman who could not afford food for her kids. The store owners have been very generous to these people. Their kindness should not be confused with innocence on he part of the offender.
Exactly.
Did you read this one Dave or skip it?
Old 19-09-2013, 17:13   #535
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

There was no court.

Now you get to say that since she was not prosecuted and found guilty she is innocent and since that is the case it can not be used against her.

Well, too bad for you.

It is obvious she did what is said and just because the store chose not to press charges in the end does not mean it did not happen.

But I am pretty sure you will be on your high and rightous horse in a minute.

The bottom line is the same. They overstayed their welcome and are just rude now. Regardless what the law says, they should be on their way.
I am not arguing the illegality of stealing , merely pointing out that stealing coffee and Nutella might be evidence of some desperation.

" overstaying their welcome" I don't beleive they were invited. Are they abiding by the law . If yes then not much you can do. Of not then apply the sanctions. Funny how no law enforcement has acted. That's very unusual in my experience in the US. Its one of the most active policed states I've ever lived in.

Must be some reason no ones acted

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 17:17   #536
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

It'll happen. Sooner or later like is happening all over.

That is one of the main things the first post was about.

You just jumped in in the middle and started swinging your sword.
In I maintained from the very start of my involvement that the law not mob rule must apply. Legislate or suck to up.

I am not sympathetic to their plight per-say, merely that it seems none talked to them and simply cause you nicked something isn't reason to run them out of an anchorage.

If as has been reported they are penniless ,then maybe the town could raise a few quid to sort them out or maybe arrange to store the boat foc while they go home.

Or even just enter into a dialogue with them.

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 17:19   #537
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Hum. I must be missing out on the free everything bit. Where is that??. There actually is not a lot available in government assistance to the poor. If your single, you might get $150 a month in food stamps, but that's about it. Hardly free everything. .
You need to move to Massachusetts for free everything I guess. EBT cards, free housing section 8, free heat, free electric, free Obama cell phones, free taxi vouchers to get to the booze store to buy their beer using the free EBT card, free Mass. Healthcare. The only limitation, is the $500 per month limit on EBT cards. Free cigaretts paid for using an EBT. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the free all you can eat buffet food stamp credit card, and the 28 free food pantries within 1/4 mile of my house.

I live in the middle of the city and see it first hand every day and right next door. The latest scam is taking out tens of thousands of dollars in student loans to enroll in semi fraudulent online college programs.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:19   #538
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
I am not arguing the illegality of stealing , merely pointing out that stealing coffee and Nutella might be evidence of some desperation.

" overstaying their welcome" I don't beleive they were invited. Are they abiding by the law . If yes then not much you can do. Of not then apply the sanctions. Funny how no law enforcement has acted. That's very unusual in my experience in the US. Its one of the most active policed states I've ever lived in.

Must be some reason no ones acted

Dave
He's Mitterrand's cousin and they don't want to upset the French at a sensitive time...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:25   #539

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Seriously?

Because charges weren't filed the COURT didn't think so? Rediculous...the "court" doesn't "think" anything until it's in session.

Just because charges weren't filed doesn't mean something bad didn't happen. If the businessman doesn't go through with testifying/supplying evidence, for any reason, including feeling sorry...then nothing happens unless the prosecuter wan't to go crazy over a shoplifting charge (not likely).
Old 19-09-2013, 17:32   #540
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

You need to move to Massachusetts for free everything I guess. EBT cards, free housing section 8, free heat, free electric, free Obama cell phones, free taxi vouchers to get to the booze store to buy their beer using the free EBT card, free Mass. Healthcare. The only limitation, is the $500 per month limit on EBT cards. Free cigaretts paid for using an EBT. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the free all you can eat buffet food stamp credit card, and the 28 free food pantries within 1/4 mile of my house.
16 years of Republician governors gets you !!

Dave