Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 16:15   #511

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'd rather stick a couple of baguettes up my sleeves than a jar of Nutella in my pocket... or even a bag of rice... obviously they had gas as she stole a can of ground coffee as well...
I may have sympathy for the anchoring... but the stealing...?
Remember Jean Valjean.

And Phil, I have some sympathy for the anchoring. Even for awhile but not forever. That's the issue here. And stealing leads to more stealing, not less. Today, whatever Nutella is, tomorrow an anchor.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:17   #512
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

SC, I agree with your second paragraph. And I admire the way you're handling your boat life, and managing on so little money, not that it matters.

But you and Dave and all the other countless liberals/enablers who want to take care of all the folks who can't/won't take care of themselves just seem naïve to me. My own definition of a liberal is someone who hasn't been robbed at gunpoint yet.

Pardon the thread drift, folks.
No one will rob me at gunpoint. I'm a liberal with guns !! . Not to mention being robbed doesn't change anything

I'm not even a liberal over here. , I'm well, to the right, but I support the use of taxes to ensure all are housed fed and schooled.

Its not naive to suggest wealthy countries look after the poor and the down an outs. Te US tries , us Europeans try, the antipodians try too.

Not every one can take care of themselves. The mentally ill, the old the sick, etc etc , all need care irrespective of income.

Would you prefer they sleep on the road verge in front of your house like they do in India Or perhaps we should get the railroad cars ready. I meant what do you believe should happen to these people

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 16:18   #513
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
SC, I agree with your second paragraph. And I admire the way you're handling your boat life, and managing on so little money, not that it matters.

But you and Dave and all the other countless liberals/enablers who want to take care of all the folks who can't/won't take care of themselves just seem naïve to me. My own definition of a liberal is someone who hasn't been robbed at gunpoint yet.

Pardon the thread drift, folks.
So what are we to do with the folks who can't take care of themselves. Ship them off to france... Or just bitch about it till the cows come home...
Old 19-09-2013, 16:20   #514
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

I'd rather stick a couple of baguettes up my sleeves than a jar of Nutella in my pocket... or even a bag of rice... obviously they had gas as she stole a can of ground coffee as well...
I may have sympathy for the anchoring... but the stealing...?
Used to get transported for stealing bread cause you were starving. You want to go back to that.

I gather they were prosecuted for the theft. But you must agree it shows desperation. These people need help not abuse

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 16:22   #515
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Remember Jean Valjean.

And Phil, I have some sympathy for the anchoring. Even for awhile but not forever. That's the issue here. And stealing leads to more stealing, not less. Today, whatever Nutella is, tomorrow an anchor.
Classic demonising, have you ever been to a homeless shelter, have you ever met people that cannot afford a slice of bread.

You did read victor highs book did you , I mean who ends up the leftist hero ??
Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 16:29   #516

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
... Its not naive to suggest wealthy countries look after the poor and the down an outs. Te US tries , us Europeans try, the antipodians try too. ...Dave
Let the wealthy countries do it then. That's not the USA any longer. Nor England, I'd guess.

Anyway, over and out before the velvet hammer of Seaworthy Lass slams down. This conversation never goes anywhere anyway. I can only cover my own butt. Which I do. I won't be sleeping on the verge.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:36   #517
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Let the wealthy countries do it then. That's not the USA any longer. Nor England, I'd guess.

Anyway, over and out before the velvet hammer of Seaworthy Lass slams down. This conversation never goes anywhere anyway. I can only cover my own butt. Which I do. I won't be sleeping on the verge.
You exist in a society. Which is not just an economy. Both the US and the UK can afford there respective social welfare systems , its just a matter of priorities.

Yiu can cover your butt cause you live in a system that allows you to. That system requires stability and the predicable rule of law. If we fail collectively to deal with the downtrodden they eventually take it from you anyway. That's the lesson of history. Now , the more enlightened countries try and ensure that such poor are at least fed and housed so that you can go on in stability to cover your butt without having to post armed guards every night.

( see South Africa , which has virtually no social welfare system for reference )
Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 16:38   #518

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The worse derelict in our marina. Some of the docks are in nearly the same shape.

Old 19-09-2013, 16:41   #519
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Used to get transported for stealing bread cause you were starving. You want to go back to that.

I gather they were prosecuted for the theft. But you must agree it shows desperation. These people need help not abuse

Dave
Dave... I've been down and out in Oriental... (56 at the time) and at times making do with a small sausage roll like thingy a day for weeks while trying to get my boat together in the boatyard... but I did not resort to theft.. nor to bumming food and money of folk... and I paid my debts that I ran up when I had to turn back after being trashed N of Bermuda... hence the nickname 'Turnaround Phil'..
Okay it took nearly 18mths temping on minimum wage in the UK but I went back and paid cash in the office.
Oriental loves eccentric's... and you'll be invited all over for meals.. a bit like Horta during the busy months... but like everywhere else there comes a time when some folk are just taking the piss..
There's ways to make money there... like anywhere else... okay not the going rates but even just $25/day at least feeds you and bit by bit you solve your problems...
Folk are generally more than happy to help you help yourself...
except off supermarket shelves..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:46   #520
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The worse derelict in our marina. Some of the docks are in nearly the same shape.

Another fine example of a variable draft sailboat. Just needs a little TLC. I see several of those around Vallejo and across from mare Is.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:47   #521
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Dave... I've been down and out in Oriental... (56 at the time) and at times making do with a small sausage roll like thingy a day for weeks while trying to get my boat together in the boatyard... but I did not resort to theft.. nor to bumming food and money of folk... and I paid my debts that I ran up when I had to turn back after being trashed N of Bermuda... hence the nickname 'Turnaround Phil'..
Okay it took nearly 18mths temping in the UK but I went back and paid cash in the office.
Oriental loves eccentric's... and you'll be invited all over for meals.. a bit like Horta during the busy months... but like everywhere else there comes a time when some folk are just taking the piss..
There's ways to make money there... like anywhere else... okay not the going rates but even just $25/day at least feeds you and bit by bit you solve your problems...
Folk are generally more than happy to help you help yourself...
except off supermarket shelves..
I'm not condoning theft , but I would like to hear what's the real issues. Nor am I condoning breaking any harbour ordinances. Apply the relevant laws without fear or favour. But of course where no such laws exist , well then, sorry , its time to change that or put up.

Do these people owe debt. Again I don't beleive so.

It may simply be they have run out of options. No one here has reported that they talked to the French boat or discovered why they can't move.

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 16:47   #522

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

People stealing Nutella are perhaps i. need of some care.
Dave
You haven't forgotten the part about them being given support for months on end have you.

What's in your wallet?
Old 19-09-2013, 16:49   #523
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

You haven't forgotten the part about them being given support for months on end have you.

What's in your wallet?
The support wasn't very much though from what i read, no one seems to have bothered to inquire as to their reasons for remaining there.

I mean what do you propose. Throw them out and then what

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 16:51   #524

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

Dave
They were not prosecuted. They (she) was released. No charges.

According to the article.

And like Boatman said. Hungry does not beget stealing coffee.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:54   #525
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

They were not prosecuted. They (she) was released. No charges.

According to the article.

And like Boatman said. Hungry does not beget stealing coffee.
So did she steal it or not. ??? Court doesn't seem to think so.

Dave