Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 17:09   #151

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Hey Cat lets put it this way. The federal government is supposed to make the rules for how the navigable waterways are used and the rules for said users. Until very recently I flew airplanes for a living. What we have in the cruising community is mirrored by what has been happening to general aviation airports around the country. Case in point Denver Centennial Airport one of the busiest GA airports in the country has had to defend itself more times than I can remember. Heres the scenario the airport was out in the country for years and not bothering anyone. Then some land developers come in and surround the airport with homes. Pretty soon the local government is flooded with complaints about the airport noise. "DUH its an airport and you bought a house under the departure path." Now there are all sorts of departure paths power setting and time of day restrictions that were never there before. Now the fees to use that airport are many time higher than what was forcing some out of the airport or out of aviation all together. Anyway that was the FAA response to try and placate the people who moved next to the airport. That wasn't enough for some people though and they sued to get the airport closed. They lost that one last I heard because the FAA not the home owners own the airspace above their heads. Im saying this because the US government not the squatters on shore own the "Water Space" and as far as Im concerned water resources should be no different than airspace. Can you imagine every local housing development or town being able to dictate when and where you can fly? What a mess! Oh and by the way I am familiar with the submerged land act and all the challenges that bad piece of legislation has caused. At least here things are better for the most part.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:10   #152
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Please name the "foreign ports" with restrictions.
Salcombe...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:17   #153

Nothing shrinking. There have always been rules on the water. Go over to Norfolk and try anchoring just behind one of the naval ships and see if your military pedegree gets you anywhere (I find it mildly offensive that you are playing on our normal desire to think highly of those who protect us.)

While I would rather not deal with rules and restrictions, I would differentiate someone living at anchor for months on end as different from "cruisers". Look up the definition of the word. It implies that you move on a regular basis. For cruisers, it's at best a minor nuisance to have a two week limit on anchoring.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:20   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I think if it were a serious question, especially since you are an extensive world traveler, you could find a better source for that information than me. But I'm quite sure there are places around the world you can't anchor indefinitely.
Right. But you can't anchor indefinitely mainly because visas run out and you have to leave. Not due to anchoring restrictions. I cannot speak about the E.U. and some locations in East Asia because I haven't sailed there.

Thanks for your measured reply.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:26   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Salcombe...
And...?
Old 15-09-2013, 17:34   #156

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Im saying this because the US government not the squatters on shore own the "Water Space" and as far as Im concerned water resources should be no different than airspace. Can you imagine every local housing development or town being able to dictate when and where you can fly? What a mess! Oh and by the way I am familiar with the submerged land act and all the challenges that bad piece of legislation has caused. At least here things are better for the most part.
Then settle your boat away from a harbor that someone else pays to maintain. And land your plane away from houses.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:37   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Then settle your boat away from a harbor that someone else pays to maintain. And land your plane away from houses.
I'm going to be nice.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:38   #158

I expect the next strong hurricane to pass through will take out that marina and then open up more anchorages provided that they don't rebuild.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:41   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I expect the next strong hurricane to pass through will take out that marina and then open up more anchorages provided that they don't rebuild.
Good point. Sometimes it pays to sit back and let problems resolve themselves.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:48   #160

Valhalla360 Heres the question , Why would you differenciate? Why do you care where or how someone choses to live? Is a liveaboard somehow on a lower station in life? What if he/she works shorside? It's ok for them to be harrased for the simple act of not conforming to your normal? meanwhile under your system someone lving in a house or apartment gets a pass even though he/she may be a total lowlife. I just dont get the predjudice.

My grandpa always told me I have no right to not be offended so dont lookif it offends you. He was wise.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:51   #161

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Valhalla360 Heres the question , Why would you differenciate? Why do you care where or how someone choses to live? Is a liveaboard somehow on a lower station in life? What if he/she works shorside? It's ok for them to be harrased for the simple act of not conforming to your normal? meanwhile under your system someone lving in a house or apartment gets a pass even though he/she may be a total lowlife. I just dont get the predjudice.
Again, live anywhere you want - just don't expect someone else to support you. You keep skipping over the fact that you seem to be demanding the right to live in a space that someone else pays to maintain. Put your boat on the other side of that seawall (for example) and I'm guessing no one will bother you.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:59   #162

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

To me it's like sleeping on a park bench...you can get away with it for a little while...then it's "move on" because it ain't your park bench to monopolize......

There's plenty of park benches out there...let's all share or I'll always support the "man" who tells people who want to "live" on the park bench it ain't there just for them...whether you were first or not.
Old 15-09-2013, 18:00   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Again, live anywhere you want - just don't expect someone else to support you. You keep skipping over the fact that you seem to be demanding the right to live in a space that someone else pays to maintain. Put your boat on the other side of that seawall (for example) and I'm guessing no one will bother you.
What significant support do towns provide that is so uniquely targeted that one can assume boaters are not entitled to access services and safe anchorage? Your proposition assumes boaters are not entitled to the same benefits everyone else in a town enjoys. On what do you base this proposition? Do you see boaters as non-citizens and or non-members of a community because they are on a boat?
Old 15-09-2013, 18:04   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
To me it's like sleeping on a park bench...you can get away with it for a little while...then it's "move on" because it ain't your park bench to monopolize......

There's plenty of park benches out there...let's all share or I'll always support the "man" who tells people who want to "live" on the park bench it ain't there just for them...whether you were first or not.
Do you really see a relationship between people on boats and people who sleep on park benches? Don't think your stretching things more than a bit?
Old 15-09-2013, 18:07   #165

Im not demanding anything Cat. Im saying the anchorage was there first. The town effectively stole it. The fact they upgraded and pay to maintain it now isn't at issue the stealing of the anchorage in the first place is. By the way I don't and never have expected anyone to support me. I do however expect to not be discriminated against buy a bunch of people that say thats my anchorage now because I bought this here piece of waterfront.
Closed Thread