Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 16:19   #136

Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Peer pressure is not likely to generate more money so that a person who cannot afford food is going to suddenly have the money to fix up his derelict boat. If the boat is anchored and unoccupied who are you going to pressure?
Perhaps the more meaningful question is "who is going to act?"
Old 15-09-2013, 16:21   #137

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Because long term anchor outs are there by choice. The minute you allow a city or town to take over an established anchorage and begin charging you for the privilege to stay where you like for how long you like, you've set a precedent that only hurts us all.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:22   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Most of these restrictions don't unduly hinder real cruisers.
Really? What pray tell is "a real cruiser". And how don't anchoring restrictions affect your idea of "a real cruiser"?
Old 15-09-2013, 16:23   #139

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Because long term anchor outs are there by choice. The minute you allow a city or town to take over an established anchorage and begin charging you for the privilege to stay where you like for how long you like, you've set a precedent that only hurts us all.
Well....that's how it works on land.....why should the water be different?
Old 15-09-2013, 16:24   #140
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The answer to the nearest sheltered anchorage is approximately 8 miles. A bit far for a liesurely walk. Like I said I wasn't mad about it or upset. I wasn't making a complaint, I was simply stating a fact. One of the arguements the locals had been making was that local businesses were loosing transient business which in my case they did. I was simply pointing out that the arguement was not altogether thoretical. If I had planned on an extended stay in the area it might have been worth making an effort to go to that anchorage and wait for better weather. As I pointed out in an earlier post I did not know that the boats were semipermanent and if they were just there for the day my decision would have been the same. You seem to be making a bigger deal out of this than it is. I am not upset at all by the incident, never was, never will be. Now that I spent a bunch of money outside of Oriental that might have been spent inside Oriental is something for the local businesses to be upset about, not me.
So I take it the Town Dock was full and you could not tie/raft up there... 48hrs and free...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:31   #141

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Some words are bandied about without any truly, clear agreement as to what they mean. Foremost among them is "derelict". Others are "abuse" and "rights". The best turn this discussion could take is for conversants to participate in an effort to learn technically and legally what these words mean.

Effective resistance to the the onslaught of municipal policies designed to eliminate and or restrict anchoring requires an understanding of local, state and federal law as it relates to navigable water and anchoring.

What is a derelict? You can't say someone is abusing a right if you don't know that in fact what we are talking about is better described as a privelege. If not, what are boater's rights? When is an abuse deemed to exist?
Well, these days there doesn't seem to be many"rights" in the traditional constitutional sense. I used the term because the poster I was responding to used it. Whether it is a right or a privilege doesn't matter. What matters is that there have been a traditional, working norms between sailors and waterfront locales, which is upset by folks dropping an anchor and staying indefinitely. And I am not aware of any regulations turning on a boat being derelict, so that is a non-issue. Perhaps abandoned, which is fair but not derelict. In fact, non-US sailors often seemed surprised that you can just take off in any old craft here.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:33   #142

Quote:
I think you are arguing theoretically and not based on real world experience. I would be interested to hear from a cruiser (not an anchor out) who has had trouble with anchorage time limitations.
What?! You don't think anchor outs are also cruisers? Well, you asked, so here goes. Of the 20 years I've lived aboard my boat I've been "anchoring out" for about 18 of them. In the meanwhile, I've sailed nearly twice around the world - anchoring out almost the entire distance. Exceptions were in Australia during the beginning of the stormy season because I was unfamiliar with the area; and ports in South Africa because sheltered anchorages were frequently unavailable. I assure you, anchoring restrictions affect cruisers too. My plan at the end of the current hurricane season was to fetch St. Petersburg and use an anchorage there I've used before. Had to ditch the plan due to new anchoring restrictions.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:34   #143

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Really? What pray tell is "a real cruiser". And how don't anchoring restrictions affect your idea "a real cruiser"?
Well, one answer might be that the only boats squawking about it in Oriental have been anchored since January and wash up on shore now and then.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:40   #144

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Cat I understand the frustration to squatters. Thats not what I've been talking about. Let me ask a question. Do you ever intend to cruise? If so do you want to be limited in where you can stay or how long? I sure as hell don't.
Do you plan to ever leave US waters? If so how are you going to deal with anchorage restrictions in foreign ports?
Old 15-09-2013, 16:46   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Do you plan to ever leave US waters? If so how are you going to deal with anchorage restrictions in foreign ports?
Please name the "foreign ports" with restrictions.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:49   #146

Quote:
Well, one answer might be that the only boats squawking about it in Oriental have been anchored since January and wash up on shore now and then.
Please try again.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:51   #147

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So I take it the Town Dock was full and you could not tie/raft up there... 48hrs and free...
Correct, three of them in fact, though admittedly two were small.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:55   #148

Quote:
Please name the ports 'overseas' with restrictions.
Where have you been?
Old 15-09-2013, 17:00   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Where have you been?
That's not an answer to my request. Which foreign ports have anchoring restrictions?

It's easier to say where I haven't been.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:08   #150

Quote:
That's not an answer to my request. Which foreign ports have anchoring restrictions?

It's easier to say where I haven't been.
I think if it were a serious question, especially since you are an extensive world traveler, you could find a better source for that information than me. But I'm quite sure there are places around the world you can't anchor indefinitely.