Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 15:34   #121

Boat: PT-11
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Mark what I see is another grab for rights to an area we previously had. We are not Talking about camping. We are talking about live aboards and cruisers All of us and that includes you lose. Every time this happens it chips away at everybody's right to live like they want.
Yea, but it happens because some abuse those rights.
Old 15-09-2013, 15:34   #122

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Mark what I see is another grab for rights to an area we previously had. We are not Talking about camping. We are talking about live aboards and cruisers All of us and that includes you lose. Every time this happens it chips away at everybody's right to live like they want.
You can still liveaboard and cruise and do it to your hearts content - just don't plant yourself in a prime area and expect to be welcomed with open arms.
Old 15-09-2013, 15:38   #123

There is talk about 'peer pressure' in regards to anchoring technique... why isn't this 'pressure' applied to derelicts?
Old 15-09-2013, 15:53   #124

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Cat I understand the frustration to squatters. Thats not what I've been talking about. Let me ask a question. Do you ever intend to cruise? If so do you want to be limited in where you can stay or how long? I sure as hell don't.
Old 15-09-2013, 15:56   #125

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
There is talk about 'peer pressure' in regards to anchoring technique... why isn't this 'pressure' applied to derelicts?
Peer pressure is not likely to generate more money so that a person who cannot afford food is going to suddenly have the money to fix up his derelict boat. If the boat is anchored and unoccupied who are you going to pressure?
Old 15-09-2013, 15:56   #126

Quote:
Cat I understand the frustration to squatters. Thats not what I've been talking about. Let me ask a question. Do you ever intend to cruise? If so do you want to be limited in where you can stay or how long? I sure as hell don't.
Most of these restrictions don't unduly hinder real cruisers.
Old 15-09-2013, 15:59   #127

Im sorry but if I'm forced to a dock or out of an anchorage after X amount of time it affects me.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:01   #128

Quote:
Im sorry but if I'm forced to a dock or out of an anchorage after X amount of time it affects me.
I think you are arguing theoretically and not based on real world experience. I would be interested to hear from a cruiser (not an anchor out) who has had trouble with anchorage time limitations.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:03   #129

Quote:
Rules are rules. Like them or not, your life is less trouble if you follow them. And yes, I intend to spend years cruising with my bf, who actually kind of came with the mindset that you have.

However, once he paid the registration fee to make his boat legit in WA, and paid for a slip so he didn't have to move every 30 days, he kind of thinks that a few extra dollars a month is worth it to have peace. Sure, he had to get a job, but so far it's fun for him.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:04   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I think you are arguing theoretically and not based on real world experience. I would be interested to hear from a cruiser (not an anchor out) who has had trouble with anchorage time limitations.
My man spent ~5 years cruising and never had a problem until he decided to stay in one place.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:06   #131

No I'm arguing that its a slippery slope and those of you willing to let your rights go are being short sighted. How long before the next town enacts similar rules? Before long the whole coast looks like south florida.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:14   #132

Quote:
No I'm arguing that its a slippery slope and those of you willing to let your rights go are being short sighted. How long before the next town enacts similar rules? Before long the whole coast looks like south florida.
Well, that's a concern but why isn't the pressure brought on long-term anchor outs as Tami suggests. It always seems to be a few who abuse the system who ruin it for others.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:15   #133

Quote:
Just don't anchor in a town harbor and you'll be fine. Show up every couple weeks to re-provision, then head back to the little cove you found and anchor up again.

There's a 30 day limit in Washington State, but as long as your boat isn't in a place of interest to recreational boaters, no one really cares.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:15   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Yea, but it happens because some abuse those rights.
Some words are bandied about without any truly, clear agreement as to what they mean. Foremost among them is "derelict". Others are "abuse" and "rights". The best turn this discussion could take is for conversants to participate in an effort to learn technically and legally what these words mean.

Effective resistance to the the onslaught of municipal policies designed to eliminate and or restrict anchoring requires an understanding of local, state and federal law as it relates to navigable water and anchoring.

What is a derelict? You can't say someone is abusing a right if you don't know that in fact what we are talking about is better described as a privelege. If not, what are boater's rights? When is an abuse deemed to exist?
Old 15-09-2013, 16:18   #135

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Regardless of the particular characteristics of an anchorage, a sailor must be prepared to move to an alternate, better protected anchorage if adverse weather is forecast. My understanding is your complaint pertains first to the exposed nature of the outer anchorage; and second to the lack of space in the inside, better protected area. I've never been anywhere within 1,000 miles of Orient. Consequently, I have no idea of how many other sheltered anchorages may be within a reasonable distance of Orient. But, central to the life of live aboard, anchor out cruisers like myself, is understanding the local weather and knowing where alternate anchorages are located. We adapt our lives to the weather pattern, taking care of business in one area when appropriate, and hunkering down in a different location when necessary. My question for you, is could you have anchored in an alternate location until conditions were favourable for returning to Orient, anchored in the outer harbour, taken care of business and then either moved on or stayed as long as weather was favourable?
The answer to the nearest sheltered anchorage is approximately 8 miles. A bit far for a liesurely walk. Like I said I wasn't mad about it or upset. I wasn't making a complaint, I was simply stating a fact. One of the arguements the locals had been making was that local businesses were loosing transient business which in my case they did. I was simply pointing out that the arguement was not altogether thoretical. If I had planned on an extended stay in the area it might have been worth making an effort to go to that anchorage and wait for better weather. As I pointed out in an earlier post I did not know that the boats were semipermanent and if they were just there for the day my decision would have been the same. You seem to be making a bigger deal out of this than it is. I am not upset at all by the incident, never was, never will be. Now that I spent a bunch of money outside of Oriental that might have been spent inside Oriental is something for the local businesses to be upset about, not me.
Closed Thread