Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 18:42   #766
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Boat: Pearson 30'
Posts: 143
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yeah. SC, you're on the wrong end of this girl.

And as I gather, the OP has been up Green's Creek for 3 years before he got injured.

3 years ain't cruising. Why post here?

I don't know which is the worse thread, the ferry boat deal or this.

It's been raining all day. Otherwise ...
Are you asking why post something that affects live aboards in the live aboard forum?
__________________

__________________
GothVanhellsing is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 18:42   #767
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
That is just the way i see it. But like I said it was pointed out to me by a friend, and retired lawyer who had a long history helping with the ACLU.

One thing you will learn about this area is all the tides are wind driven. Meaning when it blows from the north the water gets high. Lately most of the wind has been out of the north, when the water goes down, and I have a free day,,, under the 45' bridge I will go.

Really if you're coming here and your boat can fit under the bridge trust me when I say it's a better spot for your boat anyhow. There is the wildlife ramp dock over there you can moore a dinghy too, and the sunsets are the best from greens creek. Then if I am still in this town we could be greens neighbors. That is a bit of local knowledge that's worth it's weight in gold.
ACLU...I'll bet he's impartial....

Tides...wind driven...yea...I know...wasn't born yesterday or in North Dakota....pulling up anchor yet??? as the winds are pretty light today...

And now your telling ME where I should anchor...wow...I guess it's OK for you to suggest a better spot for me but if anyone suggests it to you or the French boat its discrimination, harassment or some other pipe dream.

Get a grip pal and listen to your fellow cruisers....
__________________

__________________
psneeld is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 18:45   #768
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Boat: Catalina 36
Posts: 282
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

And now your telling ME where I should anchor...wow...I guess it's OK for you to suggest a better spot for me but if anyone suggests it to you or the French boat its discrimination, harassment or some other pipe dream.

Get a grip pal and listen to your fellow cruisers....
uhh....I believe he's said several times that it's his preferred spot and he isn't there now because a shoulder injury made the longer row painful. He was giving you his honest assessment of a prettier place to park your boat. What was the point in being nasty in response?
__________________
The Other Woman
CatInHand is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 18:49   #769
Senior Cruiser
 
Captain Bill's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the boat
Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Posts: 2,313
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

GVH,

If you are going to continue to do long term anchor outs in harbors I suggest that you remain in the southern part of the US. I'm in New England at the moment and it seems that every harbor has a harbor master that enforces local anchoring regulations in these harbors. The regulations tell you both where you can anchor and how long you can stay. Most of them are limited to a week or less. If you rent a marina slip or mooring there's really no problem, but anchoring is definitely a short term proposition. If you want to anchor outside of designated harbors, away from towns, you are pretty much OK, but if you want to sit behind a breakwater like in Oriental you would be out of luck. If you tried your "I have a right to anchor where I want as long as I want" line up here you would find yourself explaining these rights to the local judge, because in many cases violating the Harbor rules are misdemeanors and the harbor masters are technically law enforcement personnel. Town docks up here usually have a two hour limit not two days. Of course because of the current situation, Oriental could well end up like this area, but I sincerely hope not.
__________________
Captain Bill is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 18:57   #770
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
No, it's not. Goth strikes me as a reasonably courteous person who had a particular view of things (staying in the harbor). He just wanted to be notified that his assumptions were incorrect rather than read the newspaper and feel vilified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
. I believe what I am fighting for is right, and will stand up for it, be it from a creek or the harbor.

What crap. AMFs.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 18:58   #771
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Boat: Pearson 30'
Posts: 143
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
ACLU...I'll bet he's impartial....

Tides...wind driven...yea...I know...wasn't born yesterday or in North Dakota....pulling up anchor yet??? as the winds are pretty light today...

And now your telling ME where I should anchor...wow...I guess it's OK for you to suggest a better spot for me but if anyone suggests it to you or the French boat its discrimination, harassment or some other pipe dream.

Get a grip pal and listen to your fellow cruisers....


Look at the breakwater most of it is under water Now why could that be?
AnchorageCam | TownDock.net | Oriental NC News, Weather, Photos
Sorry but if you know so much about the tides here, how is it you failed to miss that one little easy to see fact? See right now as it has been all last week the water is very high and the bridge that I have plainly stated more then once is not? When the water comes down to where I can get under I am going to move.

Not telling where you should do anything Just trying to be friendly and giving you a little local info on the creeks, but do what you want. As for as anyone suggesting anything to me in the last few months, well they didn't. So where is your argument rooted again? Heck I didn't even know I was being trashed on towndock for a couple of weeks maybe even a month before a friend pointed it out, and then when I saw it I just could not believe what I was seeing. See that is where the other side of this argument falls apart every time, because I don't read minds.
__________________
GothVanhellsing is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 19:02   #772
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
uhh....I believe he's said several times that it's his preferred spot and he isn't there now because a shoulder injury made the longer row painful. He was giving you his honest assessment of a prettier place to park your boat. What was the point in being nasty in response?
You are joking...right?

The point is that OPINION is just that...like him assuming I don't know about the tides there. He's assuming I don't know better locations to anchor and if I wanted to or though that spot would be better...I probably would have never started posting about where people coulda woulda shoulda anchor.

And maybe my tired old veteran back doesn't like to row that far either?? I can claim that bogus "preferential treatment" card myself.

BS...he has the gall to suggest anchoring locations to others in a thread that's slam dunking him into making room AS A COURTESY for others because more cruisers than ME may want to anchor in the inner harbor?

Did you really try and think through that post?
__________________
psneeld is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 19:04   #773
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,814
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
how much time do you have sailing/cruising/anchoring out back east?

just curious.....
3 years cruising / liveaboard in Florida actually. Plus a lot O sailing in Georgia.
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 19:07   #774
Senior Cruiser
 
Captain Bill's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the boat
Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Posts: 2,313
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Psneeld,
GVH is being totally honest about the better anchorage behind the bridge. It has better holding, is better protected, and much more scenic with just a little further walk to get to the ammenities in Oriental. If I had the option of going under the bridge I would do it every time.

It was not clear to me from your statement about the tides if you were well aware of the wind driven tide situation in the Pamlico/Neuse system or you were scoffing at the possibility. Maybe it was unclear to others as well.
__________________
Captain Bill is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 19:08   #775
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
3 years cruising / liveaboard in Florida actually. Plus a lot O sailing in Georgia.
OK fair enough...just doesn't seem like you fully grasp how many East Coast harbors are trying desperately to have enough room for transients as well as live aboard/anchor outs....actually I'll be the first to acknowledge that full time anchorouts are probably trying to be pushed out and I don't like that either...but as I've posted...they can't dominate prime anchorages or they will get zapped sooner or later from various sources of pressure.
__________________
psneeld is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 19:09   #776
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
So I'm wondering what the difference between a PT cruiser, FT cruiser and an anchor out is. Many FT cruisers have a home base where they stay for months or ever years at a time.

I see boats from all around the world anchored in the SF bay and the Cali Delta. Some are here years. Others for 6 months. Many for at least a few weeks.

It seems that most of the folks complaining are PT snowbirds who use the anchorage for an overnight or two as they pass on to their winter destination.

Even if you cleared out everyone from the anchorage, in a week or two, you'll have another few boats there for a month, 6 months or even a year. That's how it is everywhere.

The real problem with Oriental is the current anchoring space is too small for the number of boats that would use it any way. I mean three boats fill the anchorage, thats dinky. At best you might get 6 boats in there. To me it looks a bit tight with 6 boats even. Me, I see boats anchored, I go somewhere else, or horrors, stay at the marina for a night. It's just not a big deal.


Well said sailorchic! I was waiting 'til I read the most recent posts before commenting in similar form.

The anti-anchor out/live aboard bunch have been doing everything in their power to demonize the owners of the boats allegedly 'hogging' the too small, too shallow Oriental anchorage. They've gone so far as to lump all anchor outs and liveaboards as know nothing bums with inadequate ground tackle. "Cruisers" however are hunky dory, superior sailors with a proper command of anchoring etiquite and pretty boats and decent clothes. Surely you've heard the joke. 'How do you distinguish a homeless person from a cruiser? The homeless wear shoes." Just goes to show how little first hand knowledge and experience you "bums" really have.

Cruisers are anchorage hogs, staying in one place months if not years at a time. And I can tell you from first hand experience, some are damned poor sailors with inadequate ground tackle and ugly boats. If you saw my boat right now you'd probably declare her a derelick. You wouldn't bother to ask why I've let my boat's appearance go so much. If you did you'd learn she's been driven hard carrying me nearly twice 'round the world, almost back to back. And, due to anchorage restrictions in San Diego, I couldn't get myself and my boat away from consistently 90 degree, high humidity days. Stuck in a hurricane zone to boot. With information gleaned from Sailorchic, I finally decided living as an anchor out/live aboard/cruiser in the Bay area is still doable. Not going to be as good as pre-anchoring-restrictions days when Clipper Cove could be used as a safe haven from strong southerlies, but nonetheless doable. My boat needs a lot of TLC, and I could only begin replacing the shrouds and forestay today in the cooler environment of the S.F. Bay area. The pretty stuff comes last. Of course none of you would know because you'd be content to jump to your ill informed conclusions.

I take exception with your over-generalizations, name calling and supreme effort to demonize people you have never met, and most likely never will because you hold yourselves up so high above them.

Psneed, you ever make an effort to communicate with the guy sitting on two anchors? Share with him your view anchoring in such a way prevents others from anchoring near by? Ask if he'd omit one anchor or move to a spot where using two anchors would not interfere with others hoping to share the anchorage? Have any of you armchair critics done any of this? I'm not even convinced any of you can say with certainty he is not anchored appropriately, near a shoal area none of you'd want to be near anyway. Apparently none of you understand before you anchor how important communicating with other sailors is. Reveals you are either very inexperienced or have a care less attitude toward other sailors. My guess is you are both.

__________________
Wrong is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 19:12   #777
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Boat: Pearson 30'
Posts: 143
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
GVH,

If you are going to continue to do long term anchor outs in harbors I suggest that you remain in the southern part of the US. I'm in New England at the moment and it seems that every harbor has a harbor master that enforces local anchoring regulations in these harbors. The regulations tell you both where you can anchor and how long you can stay. Most of them are limited to a week or less. If you rent a marina slip or mooring there's really no problem, but anchoring is definitely a short term proposition. If you want to anchor outside of designated harbors, away from towns, you are pretty much OK, but if you want to sit behind a breakwater like in Oriental you would be out of luck. If you tried your "I have a right to anchor where I want as long as I want" line up here you would find yourself explaining these rights to the local judge, because in many cases violating the Harbor rules are misdemeanors and the harbor masters are technically law enforcement personnel. Town docks up here usually have a two hour limit not two days. Of course because of the current situation, Oriental could well end up like this area, but I sincerely hope not.

Bill that is the problem that 'you have every right to use the water as long as you want as long as you pay someone' mentality, be it at a mooring ball or a marina. Last time I checked most of those breakwaters were not put in by those towns, and even the ones that are most of the time are done with grants from the state/federal governments. So someone else pays the bills and the town gets to use it to funnel money straight into their pockets as the ones at the bottom can just suck it. Wow you know the bar for freedom has fallen a lot over the last 200 years.
__________________
GothVanhellsing is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 19:12   #778
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,209
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

That 'Local knowledge' about Green Creek was a few 100 posts late coming as well... its a well known fact here in Portugal...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 19:15   #779
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Boat: Catalina 36
Posts: 282
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You are joking...right?

The point is that OPINION is just that...like him assuming I don't know about the tides there. He's assuming I don't know better locations to anchor and if I wanted to or though that spot would be better...I probably would have never started posting about where people coulda woulda shoulda anchor.

And maybe my tired old veteran back doesn't like to row that far either?? I can claim that bogus "preferential treatment" card myself.

BS...he has the gall to suggest anchoring locations to others in a thread that's slam dunking him into making room AS A COURTESY for others because more cruisers than ME may want to anchor in the inner harbor?

Did you really try and think through that post?
Wow. One of those people that makes me thankful that whatever sort of crap life throws me, I'm ahead, because I am not you.
__________________
The Other Woman
CatInHand is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 19:18   #780
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Psneeld,
GVH is being totally honest about the better anchorage behind the bridge. It has better holding, is better protected, and much more scenic with just a little further walk to get to the ammenities in Oriental. If I had the option of going under the bridge I would do it every time.

It was not clear to me from your statement about the tides if you were well aware of the wind driven tide situation in the Pamlico/Neuse system or you were scoffing at the possibility. Maybe it was unclear to others as well.
No I clearly understand the wind tides in not only the NC area but also in the FLA rivers and anywhere else there's little astronomical tidal action but big enough water for the winds to effect that body of water....basis..basic stuff... Heck I even know that there's places that don't have diurnal tides...sorry if a little smart a**..just these threads drive me nuts...if you post your quals your an egomaniac..if you don't you get second guessed all the time...so again sorry I know our post meant well.

For the other posters...

Again it goes back to...it doesn't MATTER what you or he thinks...if I would prefer to be on a specific geographic coordinate that's not private water or commercial...eventually I would expect that spot to free up...silly maybe...but again...I'm not alone here thinking that the inner harbor imight be worth the hook drop.

So..... also..the opposite is true...if it's so good over there...and he can fit under the bridge...then JUST A SHOULDER situation has kept him in the inner harbor? If so...maybe the rest of us have our reasons too...and it's for US to decide..no one else.

Hey...no problem...let's all have a free for all out there...I'm tired of being nice...it's my turn to screw everyone ....
__________________

__________________
psneeld is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.