Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2013, 12:25   #601

Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Castle View Post
Been going there since the 90s. It's always been about 5-6 feet.
So as a cruiser with firsthand knowledge of the location would you endorse the statements made by Mr. Buck and GVH that the town gave a significant portion of its anchorage to the marina development and as a result there is less room for boats to anchor be they transient, derelict, or otherwise?
Old 20-09-2013, 12:31   #602

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
So as a cruiser with firsthand knowledge of the location would you endorse the statements made by Mr. Buck and GVH that the town gave a significant portion of its anchorage to the marina development and as a result there is less room for boats to anchor be they transient, derelict, or otherwise?

Nice to have the facts from someone who knows and that we know is a boater.
Old 20-09-2013, 12:40   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Nice to have the facts from someone who knows and that we know is a boater.
The facts are good.
Old 20-09-2013, 12:40   #604

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Quote:

I wasn't privy to the business deal or political wrangling. So I cannot authoritatively say who gave what to whom. I just know that it's been about 4-6 feet in there when you could cruise it. Soft chocolate pudding mud.

It's a little deeper in the main harbor.

GVH's commentary thus far has been highly subjective if not outright misleading. I am in Oriental throughout the year, and his tendency has been to exaggerate partial facts into full-blown whoppers to support his position. I listed these about 300 posts ago.

I support his rights, but his perspective has been very narcissistic. The French boat crew seems to have had some bad luck, but their decision seems to have been to either squat and do nothing or be a nuisance through panhandling and petty theft. Not very constructive toward resolving their problems.
Old 20-09-2013, 13:10   #605

Quote:
I wasn't privy to the business deal or political wrangling. So I cannot authoritatively say who gave what to whom. I just know that it's been about 4-6 feet in there when you could cruise it. Soft chocolate pudding mud.

It's a little deeper in the main harbor.

GVH's commentary thus far has been highly subjective if not outright misleading. I am in Oriental throughout the year, and his tendency has been to exaggerate partial facts into full-blown whoppers to support his position. I listed these about 300 posts ago.

I support his rights, but his perspective has been very narcissistic. The French boat crew seems to have had some bad luck, but their decision seems to have been to either squat and do nothing or be a nuisance through panhandling and petty theft. Not very constructive toward resolving their problems.
So it sounds like in your opinion if you can anchor your boat in 4-6 feet with a mud bottom, you can no longer anchor where the marina development is now located? Quite literally the "shrinking of our rights"
Old 20-09-2013, 13:14   #606

Quote:

So it sounds like in your opinion if you can anchor your boat in 4-6 feet with a mud bottom, you can no longer anchor where the marina development is now located?
I recall 4-6 back in the 90s. The smaller area now is probably 6-10. The area where the marina is, is all slips of course.
Old 20-09-2013, 13:16   #607

Quote:

So it sounds like in your opinion if you can anchor your boat in 4-6 feet with a mud bottom, you can no longer anchor where the marina development is now located?
In the main channel is typically 10-11
Old 20-09-2013, 13:44   #608

Quote:
In the main channel is typically 10-11
Thank you.
Old 20-09-2013, 14:14   #609

Quote:

Thank you.
My pleasure. GVH says he's pulling out which is really the right thing. The French boat is prepping to leave. People suspect they will do the same script in Beaufort, but who knows. Only they know for sure.
Old 20-09-2013, 16:37   #610

Quote:
1. Towndock is reporting the events. PEOPLE are writing letters to the editor. It's called the First Amendment. Still protected by law.

2. Your racism reference is not related to the specific events of this discussion, and thus continues to remain invalid.

3. What mob? Hello? People sharing opinion on a public forum separated by many miles hardly constitutes a mob.

You get a "Drama Queen" award from me. And your first beer. Because the crazy talk only gets better with alcohol! 😮
Nope! Sorry Eddy, you don't get a free spin on the wheel. To refresh your memory...
Quote:
All the drama talk is when people take carefully edited snippets or tongue in cheek comments in letters to the editor and.,,

1. Blame it on Towndock.net or
2. Say it's racism, mob rule, or the apocalypse.
And thus my response to your points 1 & 2.

No one is challenging the 1st Amendment, but since you brought it up...

If you hang your hat on your right to say whatever you want as free speech, you have to accept the responsibilities that go along with that right.

For instance, you can't walk into a crowd, single out someone in the crowd as one to be attacked, and then say "I was just exercising my 1st Amendment Rights of free speech," after the mob your vocalized opinion incited murdered the person you singled out. It doesn't work that way. If you want freedom, you have to responsibly exercise the rights that go with that freedom.

As to the "violators", who seem the focus of this thread, did it ever occur to you that they may be struggling to survive? There are countless stories where communities have banded together to help someone in distress. And that person was lifted up by the support and compassion of that community and went on to not only survive in this world but to thrive.

What do you say about that?
Old 20-09-2013, 17:42   #611

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If somebody docked a PINK boat in my harbor, I'd be upset too.
I started to mention this earlier but I have been jumped on here previously for my love of the traditional.

I'm 100% behind efforts to fight breast cancer. And boats can make a statement, sure, but not forever.

The OP is preaching but there's not many in that choir.

Why not just move on?
Old 20-09-2013, 18:26   #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Nope! Sorry Eddy, you don't get a free spin on the wheel. To refresh your memory...

And thus my response to your points 1 & 2.

No one is challenging the 1st Amendment, but since you brought it up...

If you hang your hat on your right to say whatever you want as free speech, you have to accept the responsibilities that go along with that right.

For instance, you can't walk into a crowd, single out someone in the crowd as one to be attacked, and then say "I was just exercising my 1st Amendment Rights of free speech," after the mob your vocalized opinion incited murdered the person you singled out. It doesn't work that way. If you want freedom, you have to responsibly exercise the rights that go with that freedom.

As to the "violators", who seem the focus of this thread, did it ever occur to you that they may be struggling to survive? There are countless stories where communities have banded together to help someone in distress. And that person was lifted up by the support and compassion of that community and went on to not only survive in this world but to thrive.

What do you say about that?
Ah Julie, you naughty girl, you are goading me.

1. the mob your vocalized opinion incited murdered the person you singled out - where's the body? Not seeing any murder going on here. Not inciting anyone. Just asking for a little sharing. A little fair play.
  2. As to the "violators", who seem the focus of this thread, did it ever occur to you that they may be struggling to survive? - Yes, actually, and I don't blame them for hanging out. Struggling - well, they've (The crew of Primadonna) been in the same spot for 365 days now. I've lived overseas, volunteered in a foreign language and bartered for my housing and utilities. I don't hold their "struggle" or lifestyle in contempt. They are distant sailors who can have the empathy of an entire community of sailors. It's a pretty sailing friendly town. The judge who tried their case even realized they were just needy. I don't judge them except that it seems their approach has been lacking in energy if not wisdom.
So compassionately, I wonder if these folks have run out of gas emotionally. If they can't complete another Atlantic crossing back home. If they're content to sit back at let things play out. Depressed maybe. Do their actions not mimic the classic behaviors?

Also, speaking only for myself, I have never referred to any of the anchorers as "violators". In my knowledge and opinion, they have violated nothing. They're within their rights to anchor there. But I think they're hogging what is intended as a visitors anchorage, and eventually somebody will pass an anchoring law because of them and that really makes me sad. In my dream world, people figure out when they're hogging a small anchorage and move around a bit.

But that's me. Maybe I'm too naive?
Old 20-09-2013, 19:53   #613

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The resident, long-term anchor-out outside our marina, in the Mare Island Strait/channel. If one approaches within 150 feet, the resident dog will bark at you. I'm thankful there is just one such boat.

Old 20-09-2013, 20:26   #614

" I would not get my hopes up about the marina getting blown away."

Captain Bill,

I'll give you the benefit of a doubt that just maybe I didn't make myself clear, but I do NOT hope that nature destorys that marina. I did not want to keep my boat there since I do not think it is well protected. River Dunes is much better as you seem to agree.
Old 21-09-2013, 00:04   #615
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
I find it interesting listening to all you Americans becoming ... yap, yap, yap.
That's the way a majority of those of us who vote want it.

We don't expect you to understand, and we don't care if you don't.
Closed Thread